DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a free amp from my uncle it a sherwood xa-1181q BP Series 180w 4 Channel, but i have no idea how to wire it up. so heres some pics of it if you can help me out id be a happy camper

the next 2 pics i dont know which is input and which is out put, the amp was cut out of a car with no instructions and i looked online but i found nothing for this kind of amp.

and these are just the brand and model number.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That is one weird ass amp, lol. It looks like a 2 channel with weird speaker outputs, and do I see 2 grounds??????

And oh yea, its gonna need a 25a fuse onboard there to turn on also.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
plug the positive wires into the part that says ch 1,2,3,4 and plug both negative cables into the one gnd port for ch 1 and 2 and then again in ch 3 and 4, that was the only part that looked different than like every other amp that i saw, if there is something else, then lets here it

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm looking over by the 12+/ground/remote. I'm not sure why the heck there are 2 grounds, and I'm not sure how you should hook it up. I'd say just use one ground like normal, but if there wasn't any reason to have 2 grounds, why the heck would they do that? *confizzled*

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
you know my motto... "You can never have too many grounds!"

actually, that's not my motto...

I've never even really said that before...

and it's not necessarily true...

I'd say just get a new amp! :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey by my standards, a free amp is a great amp. so ill either figure out some sort of wiring options and have it burn up, or make a really cool cup holder out of it, either wait its going in the car. i took the fuse out, cauz it was burnt up, then i opened it to make sure there were no crispy parts inside, didnt seem well done, and i was told it ws working, but i doubt it worked with a bad fuse.....

ximkolo said:
plug the positive wires into the part that says ch 1,2,3,4 and plug both negative cables into the one gnd port for ch 1 and 2 and then again in ch 3 and 4, that was the only part that looked different than like every other amp that i saw, if there is something else, then lets here it
now those channels are hey input or output?

johnnyko12 said:
That is one weird ass amp, lol. It looks like a 2 channel with weird speaker outputs, and do I see 2 grounds??????

And oh yea, its gonna need a 25a fuse onboard there to turn on also.
the double grounded-ness, it had a 2 stranded wire in there, like a lamp wire and i assume it was just to double up on the size of the ground.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
SolarWar said:
hey by my standards, a free amp is a great amp. so ill either figure out some sort of wiring options and have it burn up, or make a really cool cup holder out of it, either wait its going in the car.

I hear you. I had an uncle who gave me a free amp once and i hooked up a bonus set of speaker in the trunk for shits and giggles because it was free.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gazetowardthesky said:
I hear you. I had an uncle who gave me a free amp once and i hooked up a bonus set of speaker in the trunk for shits and giggles because it was free.
a while back i bought a $20set of 10" subs with box, so im going to set this amp and blow those speakers up for a little fun before i set it to my real speakers, u know for testing purposes only.

·
Registered
166 Posts
looks like it has 2 inputs for front stage and backstage, not positive tho thought u only needed one input and the amp would distribute the signal

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
gazetowardthesky said:
you know my motto... "You can never have too many grounds!"

actually, that's not my motto...

I've never even really said that before...

and it's not necessarily true...

I'd say just get a new amp! :p
first off you are crazy lol

secondly they are outputs to the subs

·
Registered
467 Posts
questions:

"battery +" the cable should be capable of handling the total rms rating of the amplifier, correct?

"remote" what is this? something from HU? key-on power? what kind of cable are we going to be needing?

·
Registered
280 Posts
95PGTTech said:
questions:

"battery +" the cable should be capable of handling the total rms rating of the amplifier, correct?

"remote" what is this? something from HU? key-on power? what kind of cable are we going to be needing?
The remote wire is what turns your amp on when you start your car instead of it beeing on all the time...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Jimmy79 said:
The remote wire is what turns your amp on when you start your car instead of it beeing on all the time...
so it only being a small trigger wire (say 16 or 18 gauge) should be fine?

·
Registered
467 Posts

battery + is coming directly from the battery cable, so it should have enough balls to handle the total rms of whatever amp he's using (say 400 rms @ 12 ft = 2 gauge). fuse would be on this cable? capacitor, if used, would also be here?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
SolarWar said:
the double grounded-ness, it had a 2 stranded wire in there, like a lamp wire and i assume it was just to double up on the size of the ground.
just wanna make sure here, uhh, the lamp wire....not a good idea. Don't try what your unlce did, lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
johnnyko12 said:
just wanna make sure here, uhh, the lamp wire....not a good idea. Don't try what your unlce did, lol.
yeha if im gonna do it i know im gonna do it right and im not gonna be cutting corneres when it comes to stuff that potentially catch on fire. electricity is not to be screwed with.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Crap!

8 to 10 gauge power wire straight from the battery, fuse within 12 inches of battery, grommet in firewall. remote turn on lead from the radios power antena or amp turn on lead only needs to be 18 or 20 guage. the 2 grounds on the amp are, well, a joke. but ground them both, using 10 gauge wire no longer than 18 inches if possible.

make sure you ground the amp with quality terminations and scrape away all paint and crap from the grounding point before you clamp it down with a nut and bolt. then spray with undercoating, top and bottom side of the connection.

the amp you are showing is old and not very powerful. it works good, but dont expect an spl level that will rattle your brains.

Ya, this is my first post here in these forums. So Howdy all!

been in the car audio industry for about 12 years. won several world championships in SPL and 1 in SQ. probably forgot more than most of you currently know about car audio! LOL!

not tryin to be condesending, just realistic!

And btw, just picked up a 1996 intrepid with 70k original miles, LOVE IT!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Viking said:
Crap!

8 to 10 gauge power wire straight from the battery, fuse within 12 inches of battery, grommet in firewall. remote turn on lead from the radios power antena or amp turn on lead only needs to be 18 or 20 guage. the 2 grounds on the amp are, well, a joke. but ground them both, using 10 gauge wire no longer than 18 inches if possible.

make sure you ground the amp with quality terminations and scrape away all paint and crap from the grounding point before you clamp it down with a nut and bolt. then spray with undercoating, top and bottom side of the connection.

the amp you are showing is old and not very powerful. it works good, but dont expect an spl level that will rattle your brains.

Ya, this is my first post here in these forums. So Howdy all!

been in the car audio industry for about 12 years. won several world championships in SPL and 1 in SQ. probably forgot more than most of you currently know about car audio! LOL!

not tryin to be condesending, just realistic!

And btw, just picked up a 1996 intrepid with 70k original miles, LOVE IT!
thanks for the detail dude i appreciate it, and yeah but its better than un-amped speakers.... i hope :), and its a hand down so i wasnt expecting some serious poundage. thanks again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts