DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently have a DSL and Cable connection.

When rhythms filed for chapter 11, my dsl was going to go down while they transferred over to another network. Since I didn't want to lose my high speed connection, I got cable internet up and running in 2 days (fast response).

Anyways, Sprint ION is supposed to be here anytime, and I plan on getting that when it is.

I'm on my 3rd DSL connection, so I've had a lot of experience with their slow installs...

·
Registered
299 Posts
[email protected] Cable. Ive had that for like 4 years, and love it. (and i voted too randy :))

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Cable, i've had this road runner since '97

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Cable here. Use a 3Com Shark's Fin cable modem through Optimum Online service. I also did the registry fix to increase speed.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i'm on a LAN connection. it's usually fast but they are replacing the servers piece by piece and lately our speeds have been patheticly slow. like slower than a 56k modem. i tried to upload some stuff to a friend's FTP server (usually get around 100k up or down from him) and it kicked me off becuase my transfer rate was below .5k. maybe they'll get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
• @home cable from home,
• T1 from work,
• 56k POTS elsewhere
• cell phone modem (9600) on the road. Wouldn't even bother surfing on that! Just use it to check email.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I dont think there is a reg fix for XP, the tweaks I know work mainly on win 98 + 98se machines.

here's what was said about win2K, I tried it and they were right, HUGE speed difference on win98SE, no difference on win2k, so I assume winXP won't benefit as well

Windows 2000 note: The TCP/IP stack in Win2K automatically adjusts the setting, if you don't specify something. So while this tweak will not hurt anything, it will disable this automatic adaption to the line latency. In other words: don't expect wonders with this tweak on Win2K.

·
Registered
973 Posts
joekd - OK, so you know the settings? PLEASE share. I have cable, Win98. I tried WinME, hated it and removed it, so I have no desire to try 2K either. Thanks. OH! Not all of us (me) are 100% literate, so try to stay simple. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I just reinstalled Win2K Server a couple hours ago...(don't ask)

I noticed in fine print on the Cable Modem Tweaks not to expect much if any improvement with Win2K...bummer. To be honest, when I used it with Win2k Pro...I gauged the download time before and after and it stayed the same.

But if you aren't running 2000 (hell even if you are!) give it a try! (remember to test your speed before and after to get a true feeling for what you've acomplished)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts