DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what you do? I have tried a few things, and none of them work well.

Here's what I have tried:

1. California Water Blade - This one only works well on larger places like the roof, hood, front and back windows, and trunk deck. Everywhere else it sucks.

2. The Absorber - I have read a lot of people here use this. In my experience it is ****. Doesn't work at all. Always leaves water behind no matter how much i wring it out!!

3. Terry Cloth Towels - This works the best at drying for me. However, it always leaves crap behind. This is what I have been using the most, even though it leaves the crap behind because at least it actually dries the car.

What do you use?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Hire a team of 20 hairless chipanzees to go at it with rare tropical ultra soft sponges while wearing infrared goggles?

but seriously if you mean absorber, if thats the same as a chamois or shammy, well thats always a good bet. Don't just use one, use two or so :).

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
When I used to work with auto detailing, those were my favorite pick of the litter.

For many cars in a row, always have a topped up bucket of fresh water to rinse it off in periodicly, otherwise it may streak. So make sure you have a bucket or container you can submerge in it, the more mass of water, the better, wring it out in the water, then when out etc.

Hope that helps :)

Worked at a ford dealership for a year. Dried many many dark and black cars, never had a streak on them after dunking in water between drying fast areas :) (yes, I always rinsed the car thoroughly with very very warm almost too hot to touch water, not a blast, but more of a blast, followed up with a sheeting like action at a high flow rate etc. Works out great to get the suds off.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
agreed, that's how we dry airplanes before we wax them at my job. use the absorber (yes, it IS better than a real leather chamois!!) and wring it out often, go over it a second time to get any thicker puddles and then use the terry to massage out any streaks or smaller beads of water. that should dry it completely.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use a leaf blower then the absorber cloth. The leaf blower air moves at over 200mph so its way better than driving it to get the excess water off. Now 2 of my nieghbors borrow it too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I worked at a dealership, we always used a squeegee/blade (a windshield wiper blade works well too, if you're careful) and then followed that up with a synthetic chamois. That way, the blade gets most of the water, so you just use your chamois (absorber) to get the drips and stuff left behind and you hardly ever have to wring it out. Seems to work decently for me. It's pretty quick, too.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Intrepidatious said:
I use a leather chamois....works good enough for me.
Same here

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Of all the professional detailers and detailing companies (Meguiar's, Mothers, etc.) I've talked with, they have all recommended a soft chamois and terry cloth towels. You have to take care of the chamois to keep it working properly. Typically, I start with just a stream from the hose (no nossle) which helps sheet away most of the water (if it's waxed well), then remove most of the water with a chamois and finish with a terry cloth towel. An air compressor and a towel works well for removing water from the cracks and crevices...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I use a smaller, cheaper version of the water blade then finish with my leather chamois. Sometimes I'll use a soft cloth after the chamois, to get every last bit of water, if I'm going to polish or wax right away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use cloth baby diapers. They're super soft, super absorbent, and they leave very little, if any, lint behind, plus I've never had one scratch anything. I use one to wash with, and usually two to dry, wringing them along the way. They work beautifully. My father, who's owned nothing but black cars, has been using them since the '60s and swears by them. You can buy a pack of 10 or so in the baby section of most stores for under $10, and they last forever. Just launder when they get dirty. They seem to get even better after they've been laundered a couple times. :cool:

·
Registered
471 Posts
If I screw up & forget to dry the car off & get the nasty water spots, the best way I found to get rid of water spots is water. Re-wet then dry. It's cheaper then using the spray on car wax.

Use a squeege on the windows first though.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
well, i use the asorber, works great, less filling!

·
Registered
802 Posts
A good 'ol beach towel.

I've had it for a while, soakes everything up, doesn't leave any threads, has ducks on it, it's alllllllllll good.

-Adam

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
same here im to cheap and lazy to go out and buy that stuff regualr beach towels kick ass! except when it comes to the boat dude that thing is smoother then glass when im done with it (approx. 4-5 hours of cleaning: the boat is 18' check out the company that made it (godlike) at www.stingrayboats.com )

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i use a waterblade and follow up with either a chamois or a towel

my paint job is ****ed tho..whoever had the car before me did not take care of it at all..
i need to get it either wet sanded and buffed or just all out repainted

1 - 20 of 22 Posts