DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you pull more lowend torque to get the 4543 lbs of my 95 3.5 moving ???
my highend is what pulls my tires off the road. but low end acceleration is lacking

changing out gears? sounds expensive

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Actually there is a thread just a few days old talking about changing the gears that transfer power from the transmission to the differential. If I remember correctly, a 1st gen guys said he did it. The gears are less than $100 and if you install them yourself then its only the cost of some differential fluid added to that. I don't have time to find it right now but search on "gears" and it should pop up, it was only yesterday when I read it

*edit - here is the one I was talking about
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20557

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
bryan said:
how do you pull more lowend torque to get the 4543 lbs of my 95 3.5 moving ???
my highend is what pulls my tires off the road. but low end acceleration is lacking

changing out gears? sounds expensive
Last time I checked the Trep weighed in around 3500lbs.

·
Registered
997 Posts
k-nash said:
Last time I checked the Trep weighed in around 3500lbs.
3400 I believe. I found that the K & N made a bit of a difference in the low end for a cheap and easy solution.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
when I got mine inspected last month, they weighed it, my trep weighed 4300 lbs...

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
they weighted your car for inspection? either the scale was off your you have a LOT of **** in your car lol they don't weigh nearly that much. Also when ya change the gears its not diff. fluid that you loose, its tranny fluid, and only about a qt or so

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
RealSynthetics said:
the best way to get more torque is to get a different car.

well thats no fun lol who on this site ever wanted things the easy way haha

·
Registered
891 Posts
I’m just thinking out loud here, but maybe installing a supercharger rather then a turbocharger would give you more-low end hp and torque. It seems like if you really willing to spend a few grand on it you’d be able to get that to work as “easily” as a turbo, which I know some guys have done before, and then you wouldn’t have to wait for the turbo to spool up.

·
Registered
467 Posts
^^ agreed, throw a huffer on.

a twin-screw type, not some piece of crap centrifugal :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha yeah! nice replies

supercharging would most surely kill the tranny and to do both would cost a bunch! if i were to do that, might as well pick up a big block v8 that needs work.. keep in mind here i only paid $500 for this 2nd car. true i sunk alot more in fixing it back up! its running 95% now.

im sure i can figure out how to swap out gears, but how involved is the process?

gotta drop out the tranny, open it up, remove alot of parts, new seals/fluid, and then put it all back together?

and would the 2.7L gears handle the weight of the 3.5?

btw i got that weight off the door ;) 2607lbs front end 1986lbs rear

which is funny because that adds up to 4593 heh :all_cohol

guess they didnt cut the car in half to get those figures :icon_wink

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
You don't have to drop the trans or anything for the gears, just support the trans, take of teh back chain cover, pull the old gears off and put the new ones on, pretty easy to do. I wouldn't touch a twin-screw, i hate them things, less effeincet lots of heat build up etc, i'll take a centrifigual any day an di would take a Super over a turbo as well. True a turbo can and will always make more boost then a super, but turbo will cost a lot more to fab up in the end, and just cost more in general

·
Registered
467 Posts
gr8crash said:
You don't have to drop the trans or anything for the gears, just support the trans, take of teh back chain cover, pull the old gears off and put the new ones on, pretty easy to do. I wouldn't touch a twin-screw, i hate them things, less effeincet lots of heat build up etc, i'll take a centrifigual any day an di would take a Super over a turbo as well. True a turbo can and will always make more boost then a super, but turbo will cost a lot more to fab up in the end, and just cost more in general
enjoy your centrifugal's 1500 rpm powerband. it's a turbocharger with less kick on the top end.

real huffers sit in the valley. :icon_razz

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

Who needs a supercharger or a turbo! :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts