DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to remove paint from plastic? Meaning my old reflector bar I painted to match my car. I have a few ideas brewing in my head and want to remove the paint from the area that lights up when you hit the brakes. I have been thinking of sand paper, but won't that "frost" the lense area? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Maybe try some heat ? Mask off the area you don't want to keep painted with some aluminum foil. Lightly score the area around the 3rd brake light with an exacto knife and hit the patch with some heat-blow drier or heat gun(be careful not to melt something). It may soften the paint up enough to come off. Maybe put some strong tape on it after its warm and pull up quick-the paint patch might come off on the tape.
Maybe use a plastic scraper to scrap the hot paint off? Plastic scraper so as not to mar the plastic.

If you did a good job of painting there should be some sort of bond between the paint and plastic and it might not come off easy.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
my suggestion: Paint thinner...start from scratch and you'll like your results better.

Reactions: silver&gold

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i was thinking paint thiner also but does it need to water down so it wont hurt the plastic? or just use it as is out of the bottle?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
elboricua75 said:
i was thinking paint thiner also but does it need to water down so it wont hurt the plastic? or just use it as is out of the bottle?
I was thinking the same thing. I have never tried it, but I think thinner would attack the plastic and haze it.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I would use thinner and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I just sanded my bar tonight, (going with a diffrent brake lite mod).
I first sanded the paint off with a 180 grit all the way down and then wet sanded with 260 grit, 1000 grit and 2000 grit. my bar looks better than new now. i was very impressed.
tomorrow i will do the outer lights.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Hmm. You could use thinner sparingly on a rag and wipe off the paint
(just on the brakelight area or whole thing - up to you). Then step in with the super fine-grit sandpaper and polish it back up - headlight resto style.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In2Deep said:
Holy crap Dale! How many of those reflector bars do you own now??!! :biggrin:
Just 2. I am trying to keep the painted one close to the way it was with the ram head in the middle...but I want to add a little something else to it. Maybe incorperate a few leds into it as well...I dunno. We shall see how it comes out.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I dont' think you'll have any luck in clearing up just a setion of the bar... You'll wind up having it look different in that place and if you're as picky as me you'll wish in the long run that you'd just started over. I used Laquer thinner on my tails each time i redid them...which was 4 :S. I really wanted the night shades to turn out perfect as it's the only mod i did on my car that no-one else knew what it was :). I simply took a rag and moistened it with the thinner and rubbed till the thinner was gone then got it wet again.. it won't hurt the plastic. It just dulls it a bit which isn't bad as the less "shiney" the plastic is the better your paint will stick to it. When I finally got my tails looking how i wanted i had the whole shebang clearcoated at a body shop. I took them home and wetsanded the clear and took them back for another coat.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Archael said:
I dont' think you'll have any luck in clearing up just a setion of the bar... You'll wind up having it look different in that place and if you're as picky as me you'll wish in the long run that you'd just started over. I used Laquer thinner on my tails each time i redid them...which was 4 :S. I really wanted the night shades to turn out perfect as it's the only mod i did on my car that no-one else knew what it was :). I simply took a rag and moistened it with the thinner and rubbed till the thinner was gone then got it wet again.. it won't hurt the plastic. It just dulls it a bit which isn't bad as the less "shiney" the plastic is the better your paint will stick to it. When I finally got my tails looking how i wanted i had the whole shebang clearcoated at a body shop. I took them home and wetsanded the clear and took them back for another coat.
I started to sand it down yesterday. I need some thinner/stripper or something cuz the paper doesn't like the bar. I might end up doing the whole thing. That sucks.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
D"OH!...that's too bad man. Hope you didnt' dig too deep. The sandpaper won't know the difference between paint and plastic. I gotta redo my tails now too... payin too much attention to my pals girlfriend and backed into a lightpole...*explain that one without a smile :S* SO now i gotta get another drivers' side and TRY to nightshade it to match.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Archael said:
D"OH!...that's too bad man. Hope you didnt' dig too deep. The sandpaper won't know the difference between paint and plastic. I gotta redo my tails now too... payin too much attention to my pals girlfriend and backed into a lightpole...*explain that one without a smile :S* SO now i gotta get another drivers' side and TRY to nightshade it to match.
Yup...I think there might be olne spot where it went in a little too deep...but, I have my wheels turning in my head. I can picture something, but dont know how to do what I want you know. I need to sit down with it and figure it out. It would definately be a Di.net first.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...I started that Mod I was thinking of. I will post pics of the progress later on after my wife gets home and gives me the digicam. I will say this. I have cut the facing of the reflector bar off. I will show ya'll what I mean after awhile. Might even make a new thread on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts