DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
There's clearly an issue of inadequate design when the braking distances are that long. Maybe it's the booster, master cylinder, rotors, calipers -- who knows -- but definitely needed more effort on the part of the engineers. Making excuses for the design, such as saying we just need to be more careful and attentive, doesn't help much when some OTHER driver isn't being careful and attentive, and swerves into you, or outbrakes you!

My '98 ES has 37,000 miles and is still on the original pads and rotors. They have been inspected and are nowhere near worn out. However, I think I'll have the front rotors turned since I'm starting to feel a little pulsation in the pedal.

I read a fabulous article -- this is only slightly off-subject -- of a Dodge Caravan Sport (short-wheelbase van) owned by a Chrysler engineer. He had done an engine swap for a ported and polished and milled 3.8L engine out of a Town & Country, large antiroll bars, polyurethane bushings, rear disc brakes out of a Town & Country and front disc brakes for a Dodge Viper, along with low profile wide tires and wheels and a mild lowering kit. He had the minivan at a local track where it consistently outcornered and outbraked Camaros and other vehicles at every turn, losing only a little ground on the straights. Just to show you what good brakes can do for a vehicle!!

· Registered
7,577 Posts
Marcus, in the event that another driver is not being careful and attentive, brakes that are absolutely perfect in every way are not going to prevent an accident either. No car, no matter how perfect, can prevent the poor choices of an inattentive driver from affecting you.

And I'm not making an excuse, just making sure that we're complaining about the right thing and for the right reasons.

Clearly, the brakes could use improvement. It is also quite clear, based on stories from people who own cars other than Chrysler and Dodge, that there are systems and components on those other makes/models of cars, some more serious, that also require improvement.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

1,292 Posts
hey compared to the 97 t-bird we just got rid of the interpids brakes seem much better,and that car went only till 24,000 till it needed new brakes.My 96 Ram went till 28,000 for brakes and the again at 52,000, now at 23,000 on the 2000 Ram hope the brakes on this one go a little farther.

· Registered
474 Posts
The brakes in the 98 were upgraded in the 99 models. So somebody at Chrysler realized something was up. True it's driving style but you have to go by the average for this car's weight, if the average is lets say 140FT. from 60-0 for a 3500lb. vehicle & were in the 160 range, somethings wrong here. Brakes can never be "good enough" the quicker you can stop in a straight line the better. Plus fade, after driving for 2 hours in stop & go traffic does it dramatically affect braking distances? Another thing to consider. If Chrysler is going to produce a product that has longer braking distances which will lead to more accidents & therefore higher insurance rates. Chrysler deserves to get hammered in the auto reviews which therefore costs Chrysler sales. Hummm now was it worth not spending more time on the brakes?

Alot of the times you have to be more concerned with who's behind you not in front of you. Quick brake or brake at the last possible second & you might get kissed.
Don't ever assume the guy behind you has good brakes.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
When I was driving my last car Ford Probe GT there was the worry about other cars not being able to stop as quickly thus rear ending me... no worries now :) I am sure in an emergency stopping situation it will be me doing the rear ending... Hope they have good airbags on this baby.

· Registered
7,577 Posts
Tom, I'm sure you will not be doing any rear-ending in emergency stopping conditions. Lots of people with Intrepids have had to emergency braking (thanks to the idiocy of other drivers) and not been in an accident, so don't believe that your experience is typical.

· Registered
67 Posts
I agree with Tom 100% - On my 98Trep, the brakeing distance is way longer. I luv the car, but I find I have to be really attentive on the road to make sure that the car stops at the desired distance - And to give you an indication, I have a 6 star driving record with absolutely NO traffic violation in the past 15 years.

· Registered
113 Posts
I don't know any numbers but my R/T stops on a dime specially if I step on the brake pedal a little harder. Certainly it feels very safe and if I think of the feel of the '87 Bonneville I had for 12 years I can't even imagine how I could live with those brakes!

· Registered
7,577 Posts
Bear in mind that the 98 base model Intrepid came with the smaller, narrower wheels that the previous generation base model had (to the best of my knowledge). I know this because I've seen a few 98 Intrepid's around that had the same tire size I had on my 95 Intrepid. 205-70R15, I believe. My base model 2000 Intrepid has the larger 225-60R16 tires. They are wider, and that makes a difference in stopping distance.

Improvements are always necessary on the first year cars of a particular generation, and that's true of other makes/models too.

· Registered
16 Posts
I haven't really noticed any brake issues on the 2000 R/T.

I think young drivers need to spend some time behind the wheel of an older car, it teaches you to be a much better driver. The 67 Galaxie convertible has power 4 wheel drum brakes, and numb power steering. However, driving it occasionally makes me a much better driver in the Intrepid. You are more attentive and careful as many of the parts on the convertible model are very hard to find, even if one did wreck it.

I think people feel too safe in new cars, and they drive accordingly.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.