DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Intrepid went into the dealer a week ago yesterday (Tues the 20th) for a warranty engine replacement. Very nice. Thursday morning the new engine was installed but it has a problem, a noisy or stuck cam follower. The dealer needs to know, since the engine just came in from Chrysler, do they fix the cam follower or get another new engine and send this one back?

That has been the question since last Thursday (the 22nd). It's now the evening of Wednesday the 28th and the dealer still does not have an answer from Chrysler. Yesterday they said they were contacting the Zone mgr to find out why the haven't gotten a response to any of their calls about how to proceed with the engine job. As of today, a day later, I have no indication that they have yet gotten a response. We are heading into a holiday weekend and one which a lot of poeple will be on a long weekend too. I suspect if they don't get an answer / get my car fixed by Friday it won't be done until late NEXT week.

How long should this take to get resolved? The dealer has been polite and taken very good care of my car for me but it should not take a week to get a five-minute answer. This is my car that's down, not the TV from the spare bedroom. I want it fixed. A 10 hour job and my car has been at the dealer now for 8 days and counting.

Who should I talk to? Should I go to Chrysler's customer service line? I'll be glad to tell them that my problem isn't with the dealer but with the fact that the dealer can't get any response on how to finish my repair job. I'm sure the proper business procedure is not 'let the customer wait indefinitely until the person who dropped the ball comes back from a long vacation.' I'm tired of this.

I am off work tomorrow and heading for the dealer at 10am. If they are still waiting, what do I do next?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,960 Posts
I hope they're covering a rental car for you.......if they are, then I wouldn't worry about it too much (as long as it's a nice rental)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avenger said:
I hope they're covering a rental car for you.......if they are, then I wouldn't worry about it too much (as long as it's a nice rental)
I haven't even asked about a rental - I've been driving my 96 Intrepid. But the A/C doesn't work on this one and I really don't think I can consider much use of my three days off next week if I don't have a car with air conditioning. Hey, it's summertime.

Rental car or no, this is a five-minute decision. It should not take a week for someone to make it. Assuming Chrysler tells them to just replace the bad cam follower, this is something that could have been done already last Thursday. A week later we've progressed zero. Something's got to give.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
I think I would talk to the dealer service manager tell him it is a five minute decision and let him know that -somebody- has to make that decision today , and that you are expecting that person to be him(or her). Then tell him that it is tour day off work and that you are headed out to the sales lot to talk to prospective buyers and tell them how Chysler's warranty service really works. That way you will be there when he gets an answer and can save him the trouble of a phone call! It also might be time to mention a rental car!! And if it is the dealer that sold you the car don't forget to get your original salesperson involved,.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lextrep said:
I think I would talk to the dealer service manager tell him it is a five minute decision and let him know that -somebody- has to make that decision today , and that you are expecting that person to be him(or her). Then tell him that it is tour day off work and that you are headed out to the sales lot to talk to prospective buyers and tell them how Chysler's warranty service really works. That way you will be there when he gets an answer and can save him the trouble of a phone call! It also might be time to mention a rental car!! And if it is the dealer that sold you the car don't forget to get your original salesperson involved,.
Nope, they didn't sell me the car. They've sold me a different car (my '96) and they sold my mom her used Olds 88. My brother (who spent 10 yrs as a Chrysler service writer) suggested talking to the service dept manager. Someone has to make a decision and if the dealer can't give me an assurance of a decision tomorrow I will probably go to Chrysler and let them know the dealer has been trying, but they can't proceed without a decision that has yet to come from Chrysler. I don't want to antagonize anyone - this is a $6500-$8000 job I'm getting for nearly nothing. But that doesn't mean it should take endless weeks to finish when it could be done quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Actually the dealer service manager can make the decision, he doesn't really need to wait on Chrysler. The problem is if he makes the wrong decision it could cost the dealership $. Even though your warranty may be from Chrysler, you can not buy the engine directly from them, you have to go through an authorized dealer, so the dealer is responsible for administering the warranty work. And this should be done in a timely manner.
Does the warranty not cover a rental car for repairs that take more than a day?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about the rental car but the dealer sure didn't offer me one. I don't have the warranty to check what it says - it's in the glovebox of the car, at the dealer.

I think I will go to the dealer tomorrow and if there is no decision I will ask to speak to the service dept. manager. A week is much more than long enough to say 'fix the cam follower' or 'get another engine sent down'. I'm not any sort of hot head or demanding type but really, I think I've been plenty patient and there's just no discernable reason for this delay. Who's to say it might not go on for another week?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Go in there shooting. It's your car, your warranty and it should of been taken care of by now. I hate dealers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Yea very seldom do they ever offer a rental car even if it is covered. Read the warranty tommorrow and see if it should be covered. And even if it isn't I would ask the service manager about a rental, they can always arrange a rental or a demo car.
Good luck>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
CHARGER!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,625 Posts
Wow I thought I was patient. You have saint like patience. I would let them know that I need an answer today before I leave as to what is going on with my car. If the stealership can not give you an answer then call the 800 number they have setup for dealing with engine problems and see if you can get someone there to make the decision.

Hope it works out for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
kcarlos2000 said:
Wow I thought I was patient. You have saint like patience. I would let them know that I need an answer today before I leave as to what is going on with my car. If the stealership can not give you an answer then call the 800 number they have setup for dealing with engine problems and see if you can get someone there to make the decision.

Hope it works out for you.
Well I headed off to the dealer this morning ready to show them a less patient side of myself. As I pulled up to the dealer I noticed my car was not outside, which is where they have been keeping it during the day while it's been waiting. The service guy at the counter said they were replacing the bad cam follower, that a part had been ordered and had come in that morning, the car will be done early PM and with a couple of test drives, it should be ready to go by 3-3:30.

I know I've been too patient but today was my limit. I was sure that if my car wasn't done or in process when I got there, it was going to sit for another week or two especially because of the holiday weekend and prime vacation season coming up. I should have had it back a week ago. At least, contrary to my prediction, I'll get it back and the weather will be nice for driving or whatever - I had expected to get it back on a nice rainy day which would have also p***ed me off. Glad I was wrong about that.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
It shouldn't take that long. The dealer should make the decision to keep a customer happy and fix the car and try and get reimbursed through corporate, instead of making you wait this long for a "decision". The manager shouldn't have taken this long to make the right decision. Fix the car already!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
At least this story has a good ending ... my gal Nina (2002 Sonata) has been waiting 4+ weeks and spent $1,000+, to date the service dept is UNABLE to fix the "intermittent problem" and the field engineer has not been very helpful.

Talk about being patient ... where would you go from here? (I'm actually glad this is not an Intrepid story).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
djpadko said:
At least this story has a good ending ... my gal Nina (2002 Sonata) has been waiting 4+ weeks and spent $1,000+, to date the service dept is UNABLE to fix the "intermittent problem" and the field engineer has not been very helpful.

Talk about being patient ... where would you go from here? (I'm actually glad this is not an Intrepid story).
I'd take the car home, come back on a weekend when the service people aren't there, and TRADE IT IN at the same damned dealer. When the next person buys it the dealer will HAVE to fix it - and at their own expense. Trade it for something totally different, just get the car out of your possession and leave that ugly baby on the dealer's doorstep. Imagine the look on the service dept manager's face when he sees that thing on the LOT on a Monday morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Code2medic said:
BAH Time to celebrate Wheres the shots hes getting his car back congrats
Shots all around, I've got my car back. It did make some smoke from where they got some oil on something under the hood in the process of replacing the bad cam follower but hey, it's almost gone already. A/C is working, they didn't manage to mess up the alarm system or the remote start, I've got new plugs, new air filter, new belt(s?), and for 3/36 I don't have to worry about the water pump or anything else engine related. Total cost was about $225.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Indiana Intrep said:
Shots all around, I've got my car back. It did make some smoke from where they got some oil on something under the hood in the process of replacing the bad cam follower but hey, it's almost gone already. A/C is working, they didn't manage to mess up the alarm system or the remote start, I've got new plugs, new air filter, new belt(s?), and for 3/36 I don't have to worry about the water pump or anything else engine related. Total cost was about $225.
Congratulations on getting the car back. And $225, gotta love that! :gross_06:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,568 Posts
I'm still in shock that a 2003 vehicle would have to have the motor replaced already. Didn't you just buy that car? How many miles were on the original motor? The 2.7s are notorious for failure due to oil sludge, because people don't change thier oil! Now that you have a new 2.7 in there, take care of it. CHANGE THE OIL!!!

(muttering under breath: '03 needs a new motor...phsshh)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Intrep_ED said:
I'm still in shock that a 2003 vehicle would have to have the motor replaced already. Didn't you just buy that car? How many miles were on the original motor? The 2.7s are notorious for failure due to oil sludge, because people don't change thier oil! Now that you have a new 2.7 in there, take care of it. CHANGE THE OIL!!!

(muttering under breath: '03 needs a new motor...phsshh)
The engine in the car I'm bidding on has just under 72,000 miles. I hope they took care of it. Sounds like oil changes every 5,000 and PCV valve every 2nd or 3rd oil change?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top