DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If putting in a glasspack instead of my blown cat. Does anyone know how it might sound with the glasspack, muffler and resonater or glasspack and resonater. Do you think it would be to loud with only the glasspack and resonater? I don't want it to sound like a truck with true duals or anything.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Keep a working cat, if you dont have to worry about emissions testing now- that doesn't mean the same can be said a few years down the road and its best to do it once the right way than have to go rip it apart a few years later when the "emissions gestopo" arrive in your state.

Lose the resonator reguardless which setup you chose to go with.

As to sound with a glasspack, that depends on the glasspack.

My 55" long 3" dia glasspack welded to a 3" highflow cat sounds like this

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a 3.5 and I planned on clamping the exhaust so that I can put it back to the stock setup if need be. Why do you say that I should get rid of the resonator no matter what? Is it really restrictive? I have the car registered in a county that does not have emissions. I don't want it really loud so in your opinion should have the glasspack and muffler? I am only doing stuff because my cat went. The cat is about 23" long with a 3" inlet, outlet and 3" through.

I listened to yours and don't want it as loud as that. I think either the glasspack and muffler or glasspack and resonator.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why would you want to be able to bring it back to OEM?

I just don't see the point in resonators, its just an other obsticle for your exhaust gases to vent threw.

Just how quiet do you want it to be? I know they make restrictor cones to put in exhaust systems to quiet them down when say, you are in a noise restricted nieborhood and don't want a cop to stop you

·
Registered
78 Posts
BCintrepid said:
keep in mind that you do want to have some back pressure in the system, I could go into a long speal about why but that would take to long. This is a good read about backpressure and exaust sizehttp://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S4_Back.html
But pressure is't the key. Scavenging is. That means proper size as it exits the head, proper size manifold and y or head pipe, and keeps velocity up. Past that point, muffler, cat, resonator, etc... resistance serves only to ruin things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Trep 93 3.3 ES, I added a tip to the car and the sound is different from stock. I was going to add a resonator, but I am confused on what you all said......So i should not add a resonator because is not going to make a difference?? What should I add in order to get a deeper sound in the car, now that car sound good, different from stock, but I want it deeper that what it is now, what do u all suggest??

·
Registered
301 Posts
What I am saying is that on the 3.3 Mopars there is a cat, followed by a resonator followed by a muffler.

There is no reason to have both a resonator and a muffler.

If you want something of a specific tone or volume, once the proper size and bends of the system is installed it is the muffler that should dictate that... why have two things to do what one should do?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
shelbydodgeimp said:
Why would you want to be able to bring it back to OEM?
When I eventually sell it. Wouldn't it be easier to set it back up to OEM with the clamps and no welds? Most others around here take their car's in for emissions tests.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
shelbydodgeimp said:
What I am saying is that on the 3.3 Mopars there is a cat, followed by a resonator followed by a muffler.
Acctually Treps have a cat off of each exhaust manifold. a third two in one out cat followed by a huge rectangle of a muffler and the 3.5L has a resonator.

On my car I had the exhaust cut off before the muffler and straight pipes run out the back. Its loud as hell but I Love It! I wouldn't change the sound for anything

·
Registered
106 Posts
You might decide to change that straight piping when some cop decides to pull you over for "noise pollution"

When you decide to sell your car i dont think anyone is going to look under the car to see if the exhaust was modified... even if they do, it will give them a better impression of the maintenance of the car.

And a resonator is sometimes used to quiet down the exhaust tone, not change it. Some people might buy a flowmaster and will like the deep tone but wont like the loudness of it, so they add a resonator to quiet it down. Restrictive? Yes. But does it quiet it down? Yep.

Backpressure is misunderstood extremely. In a key exhaust system, you'd want as little resistance as possible, and you want to equalize flow as well as exhaust velocity and backpressure kills flow and velocity. What you might be trying to say is that you cant have too ,much flow because that will kill velocity which will downplay power (hp&tq).

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Actually I have never been pulled over for my exhaust, and the one time that I have been pulled over the cop didn't say anything. You see at idle my car purrs like a kitten and due to my retention of the Three cats is very very quiet. On the other hand when I put my foot in it the sound is just amazing! I love my exhaust and it doen't matter what some cop with a stick shoved up his... has to say, I'm keeping my straight pipes! I have been trying to get a video or audio clip of my exhaust for three years but aparently no one I know has the ability to do this, oh well, sooner or later you guys will hear my car.

BTW, my exhaust is clamped in place just ahead of where the muffler sat. If I want to I can go back to stock. It is a good idea to do this because you never really know what is going to happen so reverting to stock is one thing I have been mindful of. However, now that my car is fully paid off I can stray from that idea!

EDIT: A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

·
Registered
467 Posts
the "cats" right off the exhaust manifolds are pre-cats, many cars use them as a way of distributing the load between multiple cats.

as they are unmonitored, you could delete them if you so chose.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Acctually my comp doesn't have a mic. dont know why, it just doesn't. Next meet we have I'll see if anyone can bring a video camera

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
95PGTTech said:
the "cats" right off the exhaust manifolds are pre-cats, many cars use them as a way of distributing the load between multiple cats.

as they are unmonitored, you could delete them if you so chose.
When getting rid of the back cat won't then I have to trick the o2 sensor into thinking that there is a cat there? Someone mentioned a diode with the sensor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should I stick with 2.5" in the exhaust (between the manifolds and resonator) or 3"? I don't know if 3" is to big or not. I am also working on bored TB's, upper and lower intake manifolds and intake piping. I don't know if those make a difference in my 2.5" or 3" choice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
2.5 is fine. What are you trying to achieve? If you go too big you loose exhaust velocity and loose the ability to scavage exhaust from the combustion chamber efficiently. What you might want to do is keep the stock size and go with a better flowing muffler and no resonator therefore you have good flow and good velocity to scavage the exhaust gases from the combustion chamber.

You might want to read some articles (search on yahoo or google) on exhaust. They have a few articles out there that explain a lot and are worth reading if you have a hard time determining or deciding what to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts