DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am just curious how many many km's/miles you guys have on your 1st gen cars...I am really happy with the way this car drives, but it seems as if the build quality is really poor and will not last much longer before a major part goes wrong (most likely the transmission). I want to get a feel as for how long these things last without any major repairs. I have owned my 97 from day one when it had 0 km's...now it is at 110,000 km (68,350 miles) and I think it is time for a new car.

·
Registered
530 Posts
"97" sport with 110k no major repairs "yet"

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
94 with 150k kilometers on it, mint shape still, and nothing besides the basics for that age, and a water pump + 1 thermostat.. total cost for repairs, $12 :)
(I just bought this car on march 4th and am loving it. Go mopar!)

I like that title, Kingrukus :)
Also congrats on your new status!! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got two 1st generation Intrepids. I've had my 95 for some time now. It has 126,000 miles on it. I like it so much that when it came time to ditch the wife's New Yorker (1988) I searched out another first gen, a 97 with 44,000 miles. Both have 3.3L engines.

It's really weird having two nearly identical vehicles. Normally, a new car takes some getting used to. For instance, finding the door handle when you get out, door locks, window buttons, radio knobs, etc. But there was no transition with these two cars. Everything is right where I'm used to finding it! It's second nature to operate. Plus, they drive nearly identical.

I've not had to invest in any *major* repairs on either vehicle. However, I've done my share of "this and that" such as brakes, batteries, sway bar links, O2 sensors, etc. Nothing really extraordinary though. Having two nearly identical vehicles is cool from a maintenance standpoint - same parts, same tools, same diagnostics, etc. These are *easy* cars to work on, too.

I expect to get many more years of service from both of these vehicles.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've got 140,000km or 87,500 miles on mine.

I'm not too happy with the quality of the parts, I got the car used in 1997 with 74,000 km and got Chrysler extended warranty (Thank goodness I did). $7,000 Canadian worth of repairs (due to failed parts, not maintenace) and still climbing. The warranty covered about $6,000.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
my 97 is right ahead of your, 69000 miles and some change. only thing i've spent money on is the waterpump and related accessories, a battery and the the tierod ends.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 187,000 miles on mine and only had to replace headgasket , water pump (the owner before me crazy glued the gasket , that was fun trying to take that out), and rebuild my own tranny at 164,000 (the fourth gear plate were worn out from a lot of highway miles)

·
Registered
583 Posts
my 95 Vision TSi has 119k and still going strong. 2nd tranny though. reg maint, w/p,t-belts, tunes, shifter cable (melted:mad: )
2 sets of tires:D
I'm looking for a 00-01 R/T to replace it next year.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
New car at 68k?????

****, that's just when there good and broken in. (Read: depreciate enough for me to buy it. ;) )

119,000 miles

I have done: two tune-ups, tires, rubber line from trans cooler, trans flush, stabilizer links and the upgrades of the spoiler, tint, K&N filter, floor mats, stereo and keyless entry.

·
Registered
348 Posts
'96 3.5l ES 97,900 miles.
So far a fuel pump that wasn't needed, intake gasket, and a starter shim, then the usual, tires battery oil etc etc.......

By the way, anybody from central Wisconsin, stay very verrrry far away from Brickerners Chrysler Center in Little Chigago (marathon city)......
They will shaft you 3 ways from Sunday.........
I told the Chrysler garage where I live (also a Brickners) they should take 4 stars away from the one in Little Chigago and give it to them.....:D

·
Registered
995 Posts
166000km, prev owner did a number to the front end though, but it got a new bumber skin, hood, head lights, rad and the best thing a new condensor core. for the price they wanted i couldn't pass it up, and I've had it for 2 months now and I love it. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
97 3.5 TREP

My wife and I bought ours last year it has a little over 90k on it. The only thing we NEEDED to replace was the lower manifold gasket. Other than that we love it. One thing I gotta say to anyone that buys used like we did is......Don't expect perfection! You don't know how the previous owner treated it. And don't blame the Brand right away. My friend did that. He bought a 94 3/4 ton 4x4 Ram with 160k on it. About a week after he bought it he had to replace a wheel bearing on the back. The first thing out of his mouth was: "I will Never Buy Another Dodge Again". I asked him " First of all did you buy it New? He said "No". I said "Well there ya go! You don't know how the previous owner treated it." I said "For all you know they could've did some major **** too it and repaired what was major." Plus it was a farm truck.
His answer was it still shouldn't need a major repair like that. Some people are very ignorant and THICK headed!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: 97 3.5 TREP

KINGGORDON said:
He bought a 94 3/4 ton 4x4 Ram with 160k on it. About a week after he bought it he had to replace a wheel bearing on the back. The first thing out of his mouth was: "I will Never Buy Another Dodge Again".
Well, tell your buddy I wouldn't be surprised to replace a wheel bearing at 160K regardless of how the truck was treated.

1 - 20 of 763 Posts