DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

How many of you guys have had major probs and reliability issues with your Intrepids?

3K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  p3 
#1 ·
Hey all. How many of you have had major (engine, trans, expensive stuff) problems or reliability issues with your Intrepids? I am wondering as I am a new, proud 1997 Dodge Intrepid owner.

Thanks guys! (and girls) :p

#3 ·
97's should be ok, I think they worked out most of the bugs. Also it seems the quality of the 3.3 engine is better than the 3.5

Mine is a 1994, bought it in 1997. 1st year $5000 worth of repairs, 2nd year $3000 worth of repairs, 3rd year $1000 worth of repairs. After that it's been around $1500 a year on repairs, and some maintenance. A big one has been the a/c, I'm on my 3rd another are the catalytic converters, I'm on my 4th and it's broke too.

Just got my whole suspension changed, engine mounts, lower control arms, sway bar links, and oil pan. $3000

Now I think my frame is warped from an accident a few months back. My crank bearings are going soon too, that means an engine rebuild $3000 - $4000.

All canadian $$$

#4 ·
Re: How many of you guys have had major probs and reliability issues with your Intrepids?

1997 Intrepid 3.5 said:
Hey all. How many of you have had major (engine, trans, expensive stuff) problems or reliability issues with your Intrepids? I am wondering as I am a new, proud 1997 Dodge Intrepid owner.

Thanks guys! (and girls) :p
Are there any female owners on the site?

#6 ·
all my problems are because of poor maintance from the previous owner.
(accept A/C... that I fixed myself for $100)

problems are:
tranny (they never changed the fluid)
head gasgets (never changed the waterpump/timing belt)
bearings soon.... (poor oil change intervals)

#8 ·
Not many problems here. Timing belt, did the tranny and added a shift kit (love it!), just general maintenance. I think the water pump will go soon, so I am waiting for that. I have a 97 3.5 Sport and love the car. I am doing the springs and struts this summer to add some performance (Eibachs and Koni's). I think thats about it so far. I maintain her well, and she is good to me.

#11 ·
no problems here either except for a tranny seal cracked

djring - what **** kit did you put in? where did you get it? is it the trans-go one for the A-604, A-606?

#12 ·
130K on my 93 3.5 and nothing "major" except the tranny that was covered under warrenty @ 65K. Nothing but Mobil 1 since new is the only "preventative maintenance" I've ever done.

Water pump & timing belt at around 85K. Hmmmmmm, may be time for belts again.

I just did the intake gasket a couple of Saturdays ago. Bad idle, loud hiss and fuel mileage had dropped off.

The car does 50 miles round trip every day at 80-85 mph. LOVE IT!

Oh, and a little bit of advice - never, Never, NEVER use anything in your tranny but +3 or +4. Putting Dexron in there will make some tranny guy very happy.

#13 ·
problems

my '99 Intrepid starter at 50000 miles. My friends '97 Sebring starter at 51000 miles

#14 ·
ALL UNDER 85,000 miles

1. right wheel bearings bad
2. both front struts leaking/bad
3. intake plentium gasket bad.
4. right/left headcover gaskets bad. 2 of 6 s.plugs had oil around them.
5. inner tie rod bushings bad.
6. tranny shifts irratically at times
7. car shakes a lot in idle.(goes along with #4)
8. car smells like gas(already changed my evap canister)
9. a/c does not work/turn on(need to add freon???)

The car is missing bad and smelling bad also. I am still in the works to take it to my Dodge mechanic:crazy:

#15 ·
okay here it goes

i have 160,000 Miles WOW THATS AWSOME HUH:biggrin: :biggrin:

1. (transmission)$2,000 It was my fault, I kept on doing nuetral drops so i blame this on me.

2. Sensors$300 this is normal

3. Gasket leaking $300

4. timming belt, waterpuimp, and pulleys$550
This is something that needs to be done on all cars

There you this car is great

change oil every 3k miles and do regular tune ups and you should be fine.

And i beat my car daily really hard:cool:

#16 ·
Problems I have fixed in the 7 months I have owned my car:

Belts, crank seal, inner tie rod, tie rod ends, control arms, control arm brace recall, ball joints, wheels bearings, tie rod end again cuz the dealer didn't fix it right, tires due to wear from bad alignment, and a current problem I have no clue what is. I will find out Monday.

#18 · (Edited)
My major Problems with a grip or two thrown in

For the most part, My 97 Intrepid “Sport” has been very good to me…. I purchased it Used in February 1999 with 64.5K miles on, and have used AMS Oil/Filters since that time. I presently have 128K miles on it and have one reoccurring gripe that bugs the hell outta me!
Here’s “My List”, so take it for what it’s worth:

Mileage / Repair / Repairs by:
67278 / Thermostat / Firestone - limped in with overheating problem.
74262 / Water Pump / Dodge Dealer (3 months after a new thermostat replacement and dealer replaced that one too!)
80670 / Belts (Serpentine/AC)/Purchased from Dealer/Replaced myself.
87670 / Struts (Front/Rear) /Monroe GasMatics (AutoZone).
87670 / Front Wheel Rotors /OEMs were border line (bought @ AutoZone).
100557 / Rack & Pinion / Flushed/refilled with seal(s) conditioner ***
Also replaced the OEM Serpentine belt with a Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine belt (superior Product than OEM Belt).
102430 / Battery / Autocraft #341 (it happens!) :)
120570 / PCV Tube / Replaced with OEM; Dry rotted.
126226 / Tie Rod End (Left) / Firestone - Couldn't do all wheel alignment until replaced.
Various / Wheel lugs / “Sport” model uses same lug as the 1st gen ES Models. Those pneumatic impact wrenches can wreck havoc on them, rounding them off. Replaced all 20 of them @ $75.

Normal maintenance includes regular schedule stuff with the exception of oil/filter changes @ 10K miles (the beauty of AMS Oil products!)
Two sets of tires and a set of front disc brake pads and rear brake shoes, which I changed myself. Tires are rotated along with a wheel alignment every 6K miles. I believe there's a left side foot shape (size 9?) indentation on the passenger side floor board, but that's probably I did, especially since it appeared after my daughter obtained her Driver Learners Permit. Go figure :D

*** After turning 100K miles, I noticed I was losing my power steering. Fluid was just below the fill mark on the stick, but didn't appear to be leaking (no tell tell fluid at the obvious places). I took it to a reputable Auto Shop for a check out/replacement if need be. The techs stated the Power steering pump checked SAT (satisfactory), and they did the fluid flush, refill and conditioning additive. It helped a lot, but wasn't as responsive as power steering should be. I was ready to have the Rack and Pinion (my Haynes manual refers to it as a
Steering Gear) replaced altogether. I had New Tires and an all wheel alignment done…. Which corrected the problem!
Several months later, returning from a Memphis, TN to Virginia Beach, VA road trip, I experienced the same loss of power steering. Had all the Wheels spin balanced (it was tire rotating too), which corrected the problem. This past month, now I have a loss of power steering, but this time, its only when turning to the right instead of right and left as in the past.

#19 ·
Rack n Pinion Follow Up

After returning from the shop on Thursday.... I'm hosed. I'm in need of a replacement Rack n Pinion Steering unit! The service manager got on the phone, called "his boy" to get the unit pricing. I stated "ensure it's NOT The Perportional Speed control" Rack n Pinion. He stated, "the part is $600". My response.... "We're done here then." There was another service rep, and he asked if me that was a problem. I said yeah... I've already priced them from $100 + core up to $189 + core and approximately 4 hours for labor. I think that shocked them, as they actually looked in their job book. The other dude calls Adance Auto and gets a $220 price tag... does the math (about $300 for labor)... and pulls this one... (like he said.. $600!). I said... thanks... pull it off your rack! Trying to take me for a weenie or something! :)

#20 ·
AT 35555 WHENT IN FOUR AC FOUR TIMES CHANGED PLUGS WIRES AIR FILTER BATTERY COOLIN FLUSH TANNY FLUID AND FILTER EXHUST LIGHTS AND BULBS NEXT BRAKES STRUTS SPRINGS RIMS TIRES REAR SPOILER PAINT SUPER CHIP COIL IGNTION SYSTEM INTAKE EXHUST MAINIFOLDS CADS TRANNY UPGRADES NITRIS BUT NOT IN THAT ORDER :cool:

#21 · (Edited)
general repairs only

92K water pump & timing belt...roadside...so anyone can do it

90K new front axles...ugh. Tough job

90K plug wires

90K all new front-end parts (lower ctrl arms, inner/outer tie rod ends, radius rod bushings). Gotta love a car a regular human can align...toe in/toe out only on this one...whew!

95K new rear motor mount

4th set of front brake rotors

recently recharged the AC, she sat for 4 mo, undriven

the fuel rail fix, after she started spewing gasoline...don't remember the mileage

one battery

I use Mobil 1 oil and filters, 10K mile changes, uses none over the 10K change interval

OEM tranmission. It did act up at one time, but we kept driving it, and it 'fixed' itself. Seals were suffering from it not being driven *enough* it seems. Decided to install a drain plug, making changing way less aggrivating. Now I do it every 25K instead of 50K.

Needless to say, it's a long-term 'keeper'.

KB

#22 ·
The best way to keep the cost of ownership down on any car is to keep the maintenance up. I previously owned a 94 LHS with 140,000 miles. I replaced the water pump, timing belt, intake manifold gasket, tires, etc. on it. It ran like a top -even after I was hit by a cop! Anyway I sold it and bought a 96 3.5l intrepid with 80,000 miles at a state auction.

For being a state car it runs great. I just replaced the plugs, wires, tarnny fluid and filter, oil and have had no problems. I plan on changing the water pump and timing belt on this one pat 100,000mi.

I highly reccomend bying a Haynes or Chiltons manual on your car. I learned how to do all of my own work on the car. You can do quite a bit with a socket set and a screwdriver. It even has datailed general maintenance instructions for the more timid owners. Read it through and you will never feel like you can be taken advantage of at a garage again!

#23 ·
Hey, my 95 has been great. Changed rotors once, otherwise just do basic maintenance and tune ups. However my A/C has recently gone out. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it looked at. Ohterwise I have been extremely satisfied with this car as it has 135,000+ miles on it and still is a joy to drive.

#25 ·
Since this thread got brought back from the dead, I might as well post this for future reference in this thread. My engine went at 107k. That was the above mentioned "problem I don't know what is" was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.