DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious..............I'm going after full warranty replacement of my rims............they are rusting like a *****.

If I woulda known chromed aluminum was gonna rust and peel, I would've taken them off when the 1st winter came. After the 1st winter they were already screwed though.

Rob

BTW.........anyone seen that pic that Snorton Norton uploaded a while ago that shows the warranty replacement of his rims???

I want to take that to my dealer showing that it IS an issue and Chrysler has replaced them under warranty for other people.

·
Registered
175 Posts
wow that's some fast rusting they had better replace them!

·
Registered
836 Posts
If their alum, how is it rusting? Or are they coroading like a *****?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not JUST the centre cap...........they are peeling on the inside of the rim all over the place.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Avenger said:
Curious..............I'm going after full warranty replacement of my rims............they are rusting like a *****.

If I woulda known chromed aluminum was gonna rust and peel, I would've taken them off when the 1st winter came. After the 1st winter they were already screwed though.

Rob

BTW.........anyone seen that pic that Snorton Norton uploaded a while ago that shows the warranty replacement of his rims???

I want to take that to my dealer showing that it IS an issue and Chrysler has replaced them under warranty for other people.

Get ready for a good fight. DC will deny any warranty claim it can to keep warranty numbers down. Don't believe anything they tell you on the phone, get everything in writting. They have been having this problem since they swithed from chrome platting to chrome clad(Cost cutting at work). My Chrome plated 300M wheels were great. Never a pit even after two winters of salt. I have seen newer Chrome clad wheels with big corrosion rings around the center caps. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had my car for less than 2.5 years and have 55000km on the odometer.........but I already complained about the rims at 40000km. Warranty is to 60000km.

I agree, I may have a fight on my hands.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've NEVER been a fan of chrome wheels, no matter how it's applied. I work for a car rental agency, and it's very common to see chrome wheels covered in surface rust each time a car's returned, especially in damp weather. Chevy Impala's, Old's Alero's, Ford Taurus's, Pontiac Grand Am's and Grand Prix's.......they all rust right from the get go.

I'm not sure what type of material is used, but I FAR prefer the standard wheel covers used on the Intrepid SE, especially the design used from 1998-01. Sporty, with enough sheen in the finish to give it sparkle. They clean effortlessly, never rust or stain, and look terrific in the sun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is a shame that the nicest looking rims have to go to crap after such a short time. The salt here is INTENSE, so it doesn't take a couple years (noting that Avenger's right down the highway from me) for the chrome rims to leak like a biatch.

Our '97 ES looses 10PSI a week because of corrosion.....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If you read Snorton Norton's thread then you already know my answer. Tires and rims come off Nov 1 and don't go back on until May 1. Even with just summer use, my new ones rusted and corroded and both of the front ones had to be beat off.

D/C fancy rims SUCK!! Better off buying aftermarket rims, cheaper and better!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Two thoughts for you

1) You gotta stop using the Market Square parking garage.They drop about six tons of salt in there every time it snows.

2) What dealer did you go to?Had a problem with paint on a '92 Shadow , went back to Waterloo Dodge. Basically blown off.
Then drove over to Bustard's Chrysler and they somehow were able to repaint it through warranty.Worth checking into.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The most important thing is to start and continue your fight now while your car is still under warranty. Once your car is out of warranty you are going to have a lot harder time even if you did complain while still in warranty.

Mine still look good but I don't use mine in the winter...I was just taking a close look at my razorstars (winter rims) and they don't show any signs of corrosion but I think they may be chrome plated instead of the cladding.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
3.5gen1 said:
Two thoughts for you

1) You gotta stop using the Market Square parking garage.They drop about six tons of salt in there every time it snows.

2) What dealer did you go to?Had a problem with paint on a '92 Shadow , went back to Waterloo Dodge. Basically blown off.
Then drove over to Bustard's Chrysler and they somehow were able to repaint it through warranty.Worth checking into.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where you at??? We gotta meet up sometime!!! I live on Queen St next to Victoria Park :)

Yeah, bought the car @ Waterloo Dodge..........tried them and Wendells, never thought of Bastard though :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah I thought you would like that.I'm up by Conestoga Mall.

Anyhow the service dept. there were able to come through for warranty on the paint , took a while but better than Waterlo Dodge.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Any word on the newer SXT style wheels, like the 04's got? God I hope they dont go to ****. :( I'm all worried now...... ****ing cheap ass automakers nowadays......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts