DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, I'm just trying to get an idea of what is a common price for some repairs to the intrepid 3.5L

Please include where you had the repair done, price in US dollars or Canadian Dollars and how long ago it was done.

Things I'm interested in are, replacement of intake manifold gaskets, changing of timeing belt, installation of new rotors, and replacing a bad injector.

But I think it would be cool if we could put together a whole list of different repairs and their average cost so DINet members have something to compare the quotes they have just been given to, so that they can see when they are being taken.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I'll dig out my reciepts tonight.
Sounds fun.

I'm just not looking forward to adding all the repair bills up and tallying the final costs vs what I actually paid for the car :explode:

·
Registered
424 Posts
intake manifold gasket? Upper or lower? Either way the kit is 5 or 6 bux. did it myself. Changing timing belt: I haven't baught the parts, just reused the old one. owever belt and watter pump should be easy under 100 bux. Both timing belt and rotors depend a lot on the brand that you want to go with. Injector, I don't know about. All these prices are in american money.
The intake is not hard to do, so just do it yourself. Rotors aren't hard either. While you have the intake off, the injector shouldn't be hard to do. If you are doing the lower intake manifold, you might as well do timing belt at the same time (while coolant is out)
-Taaf-

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Things like this to do really arent too too hard, just time consuming. But for someone like myself where I work reaaal late, have odd days off, live in an apartment, and even then, my parent's place is only a single driveway and a small garage.. makes it nearly impossible to do bigger things like pulling an intake off, and barely having enough room to turn around without hitting someone's car, having to do it without being able to say, leave it for the night if I had some head scratcher of a problem while doing it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
replacement of intake manifold gaskets
145 bucks no name mechanic

changing of timeing belt
did it myself

installation of new rotors
did it myself

and replacing a bad injector
May the lord have mercy on your wallet.

Sorry I couldn't help much better then that. Most work I do by myself. If I had access to my mechanic place I could get you a price for parts and book time for labor but he went out of business :-(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what you guys are saying if you can do it yourself all the better, big savings, but I was just trying to see what most of us are actually paying to have these things done to our intrepids.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
a'yuh, that's the way the cookie seems to crumble around here

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only thing I ever paid a mechanic to do aside from inspecting the stupid thing was to come to my house and scan my car while I had a no-start problem, cost me 40 bucks. Prior to that the stupid plastic pcv valve broke off inside of the plenum and I took it to the same mechanic so he could torch it out; five bucks. Everything else I have done myself, because once I got the car I knew I was never going to take it to a mechanic again if I could prevent it, and that is how I got into the whole car repair thing by starting off small. I guess my point is, go to any online parts store/chrysler products online and do a search on different parts, and that is about how much most of us have spent on the job.

·
Registered
299 Posts
an injector for a 3.3 costed a buddy of mine $109 Canadian. Not sure if the 3.5's use the same injector. But anyways + $50 labour. came to $175 with tax.

Rotor installation with pads or no pads? im assuming you want to change your brakes..

Timing belt costed me $50 candian + $100 labour.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looking around for parts the cheapest I've seen a water pump for is right around 250, I can look for the links again if you need em, but you'd be better off going through Jeff in the Mopar thread I think.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Parts and costs

My car is a 94 Intrepid w/ 3.3

Front Disc Brakes:
pads- $30
Rotors $25 a piece
Calipers $70 a piece, but you have a $35 core charge
These were all from Autozone

Intake and Under the hood:
intake gasket kit (includes upper and lower, 12 new o rings for the injectors, egr gasket) $19
Valve cover (nice rubber Felpro set) $19
throttlebody to intake plenum gasket $3
again all parts from Autozone

2 preformed vacuum hoses, one from throttlebody to intake plenum $13 and one from the pcv valve to the valve cover $15
these were from the dealer

All of this was fairly straightforward in replacing. Had to rent an 11" gear puller to remove one of the rotors tho. it was rusted to the hub. the other one fell off as soon as I removed the caliper.

Will add more as I replace more. And hopefully I wont have to do that for a long time, I have spent enough money on this thing this year

AJ

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Looking around for parts the cheapest I've seen a water pump for is right around 250

is that $250 for a water pump? is your ass ok cuz u got ****ed. Pumps are anyhere from $50-ish to $80-ish depending on if you get new ore remanufactured. Upper intake is easey to do by yourself, even if you dn't hav emuch room it dosen't take much room to do that one. Timing belt can vary. Dealer can charge up to $700 for that, some shops charge less and some eevn charge $100. I just did it for my buddy and cahrged him $300 lol. Rotors and pads are one of the easiest things to do on these cars. Its litereally liek 4 bolts total and you can do brakes and rotors at teh same time. PRice, from $30 to $90 depending on the pads you get ans rotors, from liek $25 up to over $100 depenmding if you want stock, cross-drilled, slotted etc. A bad injector that a lil more hard. Its not hard to get to it, or take it off, but they can be a ***** to get off the fuel rail. They "say" that they just push out, but i have tried a few tiems and they don't just PUSH out easily lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had my water pump and timing belt replaced about 2 years ago. Not including the tow the bill was about $350. This was for all parts, labor, and fluids. I had it done in SE Ohio.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
thank you gr8crash, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts