DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove my 02 Intrepid ES with the sunroof open for the first time this year and I was just wondering how much of a drag is it on fuel efficiency? Anything I can do to counteract the negative effects?

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
:doh:

Anything I can do to counteract the negative effects?
Close it??

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Chances are no but there's only one way to tell.....

Do the math!

Are you doing a road trip soon where you can go tank for tank with the roof open and closed under the same conditions?

Daily in town driving i can't see there being any change.

·
Registered
689 Posts
open all the windows, but seriously why worry over such a small drop in MPG-with conservative driving I was getting 19-21MPG with my sunroof open and all the windows down in the city.
Tom
I have not seen that number in a while,but the crappy winter blend fuel I suspect is the blame

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I really don't think there will be that much effect. The only way that MPG will be affected is if somehow air flows into the cabin from the roof. So as long as you don't hold an umbrella outside the sunroof while you drive, then there should be no problem.

Also I think a little smooth rise at the front liek this

/____

can help. But the effect should be minimal. Now a convertible... that's different...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
With all the windows down and the sunroof fully open there is very little buffeting, which shows that the air flows fairly smoothly through the car. At highway speeds i usually have the sunroof in the vent position and then crack one of the rear windows about 1/4". Depending on which of the 2 you crack, you can control the direction of the breeze through the car. I prefer to have the rear passenger side down when it's just me in the car. You'll be amazed how much air will move through the car with that combo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
open all the windows, but seriously why worry over such a small drop in MPG-with conservative driving I was getting 19-21MPG with my sunroof open and all the windows down in the city.
Tom
I have not seen that number in a while,but the crappy winter blend fuel I suspect is the blame
For those of you that have seen me post here before you'll know my OTIS says I only get about 15.8 MPG or sometimes less than that!! It's as low as 15.3 or so sometimes and that has been with NO sunroof open and ALL windows up!! I never even drove with the sunroof open until just yesterday.

I have the same car that many of you guys have so many of you guys must get fuel efficiency as bad as mine? I have an 02 Intrepid ES with 97K miles.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
With all the windows down and the sunroof fully open there is very little buffeting, which shows that the air flows fairly smoothly through the car. At highway speeds i usually have the sunroof in the vent position and then crack one of the rear windows about 1/4". Depending on which of the 2 you crack, you can control the direction of the breeze through the car. I prefer to have the rear passenger side down when it's just me in the car. You'll be amazed how much air will move through the car with that combo.
A wise old girlfriend showed me the flow design, if the driver is warm drop the pass windows an inch or two.

opposite if the passenger wants some air flow!

She showed me other things as well!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
32, all her own, never even nibbled!

She interduced me to my now wife!

is what I ment!

Guess i should have said EX!

Joined the 100 MILE PER HOUR club!

enough said ,before the wife sees!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you have OTIS. Set the cruise on the highway. Reset the average mileage. Drive for about 10 km's. Note reading. Now try it with the roof the other way. Reset and repeat at the same speed. Note the reading. Try this back and forth a few times and come back with the results.

I've done this except I was comparing mileage at different speeds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have OTIS. Set the cruise on the highway. Reset the average mileage. Drive for about 10 km's. Note reading. Now try it with the roof the other way. Reset and repeat at the same speed. Note the reading. Try this back and forth a few times and come back with the results.

I've done this except I was comparing mileage at different speeds.
I don't have cruise control.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't have cruise control.
It's just there to take one variable out of your test. Important since the difference between the 2 test will be small. Do it without cruise. Do your best to maintain speed for the comparison.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
sunroof but no cruise control??? What kind of intrepid is this??

O well. To answer your question, i think ppl dont have enough to worry about.

What about the time when u dont think and pass someone thats going to slow, that will kill your fuel efficiency more so than an open sunroof.

I keep mine on the civic open at slow speeds, it gets annoying at higher speeds and i doubt it affects fuel efficiency at slow speeds, a lot less than it would at high speed anyways.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sunroof but no cruise control??? What kind of intrepid is this??

O well. To answer your question, i think ppl dont have enough to worry about.

What about the time when u dont think and pass someone thats going to slow, that will kill your fuel efficiency more so than an open sunroof.

I keep mine on the civic open at slow speeds, it gets annoying at higher speeds and i doubt it affects fuel efficiency at slow speeds, a lot less than it would at high speed anyways.
It's a 2002 ES. I suppose the original owner chose whatever options he wanted and didn't want the cruise control.

What does "civic" open mean?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts