DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about using octane booster, to get it up to 104 octane.

1. Do you think the engine (3.5L) can safely handle it.

2. I know the car perform's better with more octane (as stated in the manual) but will that much octane cause poorer performance. From what I understand it shouldn't, I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
don't. you really wont notice a difference. UNLESS you can manually advance your timing...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Yes. I don't really see a point to that beings as your car will run just about the same with mid range pump gas.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I remember the discussion a while back about Octane, and you are waisting your money with going to a higher octane. Go with the one the book states and thats it, everything else is a waist.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
yea basically. you can run a higher octance but if your car dosen't know it is there, it won't change the timing or make any use out of it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blkbute said:
I remember the discussion a while back about Octane, and you are waisting your money with going to a higher octane. Go with the one the book states and thats it, everything else is a waist.
The 1st gen book says the car will run on mid-grade, it also says performance will increase with the use of premium fuel, that's why I was wondering if going beyond premium fuel would further increase performance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Generally I run premium (92+) octane in mine. I've used mid-grade for a while and even (gulp) tried regular in it. I have noticed a difference in the car when consistently using a higher grade of fuel. Currently I've been using Sunoco Ultra 94 ($!) and my wife notices that it "feels" stronger. The PCM adaptive logic will test the "pingingness" of the fuel from time to time during full throttle to determine the maximum amout of spark advance it can "dial in". Using and staying with a higher grade fuel will allow the PCM to raise the spark curve a bit higher than it normally would on tankful of 89 octane, hence the "increased performance" line in the handbook. For normal everyday driving, 89 octane is fine, but if you run hard, I'd stick with premium. Besides, a good brand premium is "healthier" for your car anyway!

Later, Ghost.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much "performance" can you possibly gain by getting higher octane fuel? Would it even be anough to justify spending the extra cash?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I feel it is. If anything, I like the peace of mind knowing that I fed her the best stuff I can. Considering Ultra 94 is about $1.46 a gallon, it isn't exactly cheap when mid-grade runs about $1.15 or less.

·
Registered
964 Posts
silver ghost is correct. I notice that my 95 LHS runs much smoother with 91/92 than with 89. Also, the hiway mileage is better. Don't know the cost difference, never bothered to calculate it.

FredB

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll try the 104 octane boost when it get's warmer out... It should be fun :)

Now if only I could find a drag strip....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a note about octane boosters - I knew a guy several years back that had to run octane booster in his '65 426 Max Wedge. When he pulled the heads, there was an reddish-orange residue on everything in the combustion chambers. Pesonally, I wouldn't run octane boosters just for grins-n-giggles.
I also know a seasoned mechanic who recently did an injector cleaning on my Concorde. He took one whiff of the gas and told me which brand I was running (one of the cheap-o brands)! Needless to say, I was quite impressed. Say he can tell the diff between good stuff and bad by smell.....and I now believe him! He swears the "good" brand-name gasoline will not gum up injectors like the discount stuff. His preference is Chevron. So, guess what I'm running now...yep, CHEVRON Premium.
Just my 2c worth.

-steve

·
Registered
560 Posts
i used 92 octane for a long time, mainly cause i believe from experience that the mileage is a little better...
sticking to 89 now (savin a few cents)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts