DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this afternoon, my baby overheated like crazy, [in the drive-thru of Taco Smell, nonetheless] and dumpedall her antifreez/water. This all happened in a matter of a few minutes, kase i looked down and all of a sudden the temp gauge was like 7/8ths of the way up [course I dont usually pay much attention, kause it never goes above 1/2, but i woulda noticed if it had been that way for any amount of time]

So after, we pushed out of the drive thru, and parked it on the side of the street. We let it cool down, and put some coolant/water in it, and started it so we could check for leaks [i thought a hose went] but couldnt tell anything, in fact, it didnt seem that anything was happening in the coolant system, then it dumped the fluid again!
at theis point we decided to call a tow truck and get it to a shop, we couldnt do anything roadside. [I was with a buddy]

so anyway, im pretty sure its the water pump, kause ive had the car since 99k and have a feeling it hasnt been done yet.

So how much will this cost me u thik, or how much should I give them?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dealer charges around $550 to do timing belt and water pump. Make sure you do the timing belt and the two o-rings behind the 2 sprockets as well as the water pump. This is all true if you have the 3.5L

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
about $150 after everything if you do it yerself

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, how hard is it to do yourself if you have a good socket set? I dont work on cars [not yet at least] but I have changed the front brakes, and struts and springs. But this is in the engine...

Also, Im hoping that my warranty will cover it, I got the best one they had for a used car.

But if the warranty wont, then mabey I'll have to try to do It myself.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
be prepared to buy some serious books or at least get hold of them...also, time investment is the worst. those techs take about 6 hours to get to the pump, you (no offense, i've never done it either), having never done it, might take quite a bit more time.

as i put in the other post, my cost was upwards of 600 bucks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is a little more difficult than changing brakes or spark plugs. If you are considering it I would definately get one of those repair books. I'm not saying you can't do it but it don't look easy by no means. I watched my wifes uncle (he is a chrysler mechanic) do it, he did it in about 2 hours. The hardest part was adjusting the timing cams. Like I said before, make sure you do the 1. Timing belt 2. Water pump 3. The 2 o-rings behind the timing cams. I have seen where people don't do these 2 o-rings, you WILL end up going back in to replace them. They are exposed to a harsh environment (coolant) and will leak if they aren't already. After your done you will have a new front end.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
well, I was able to do it on a saturday... get one of those HAYES manuals from yer local auto parts stores. that will walk you through it step for step

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Chiltons [cept its in the car thats in the shop, so I cant look at it] and I think that it has most of the info I need...
nonetheless, if my warranty will cover enough of the job, I'll have it done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for the water pump, etc. on the 3.5L? I've seen some ideas about using vice grips to hold the belt to the pulleys, etc. so that everthing doesn't get out of time.

My '96 has about 67k on it, I think the o-rings are starting to leak. I don't want to pay $500+ for the repairs if I can help it, and I'd like to only go in once and take care of everything that could be a question - pump, seals, new timing belt. Once I go in, I hope to never visit the inside of the housing again!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Cam Seals - 1995 3.5L

I need to replace the cam seals behind the sprokets. The factory manual described this procedure but also explains that the sprokets need to be re-timed on the camshaft for TDC. Since TDC seems to be already marked on the crank sproket, why the need to use a dial indicator thru the #1 cylinder? Why couldn't you simply make sure the crank sproket is exactly on its timing mark and then set the cam sprokets with their timing marks? I have the special Miller tools that lock the camshaft in the rear of the cylinder head. I thought that once everything is locked down and marked, all I would need to do is re-align my marks. Anyone go thru this procedure? Also, is the 1995 3.5 an interferance engine? My first timing belt broke off of I-95 on a road trip from VA to FL at 100,000 miles (I forgot all about needing the timing belt changed) and had to be towed in. I got it fixed and it rund fine but somewhere I read that this is an interference engine and a broken timing belt should have messed up the valves. When the belt broke, it wrapped around the itensioner and water pump pulleys and ruined them both.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
97purple_trep said:
ok, how hard is it to do yourself if you have a good socket set? I dont work on cars [not yet at least] but I have changed the front brakes, and struts and springs. But this is in the engine...

Also, Im hoping that my warranty will cover it, I got the best one they had for a used car.

But if the warranty wont, then mabey I'll have to try to do It myself.
your signature says White '98 Chrysler Sebring coupe LX, 2.5L V6 (this is an Intrepid forum) deceased '97 3.5 intrepid. What engine is in your current Intrepid. If it's a 3.5 , then yeah it's a huge job for a newbie. If it's a 3.3 then it's very easy to do yourself and $30 for pump at auto zone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts