DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What is the best way to clean the headlight reflector?
I can't open up the headlight so I thought I might could rinse it with soap water or something like that and then let it dry on a radiator at my home.

(Car = Eagle Vision see below)

Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
I dont believe they can be cleaned, the silver will come off. U can try distilled water, just pour in, swish it around n let dry. dont know if you should use any kind of soap.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
And chrome spray paint just dont have the same reflective surface..so it's probably best not to touch them.. I wonder if a clear coat would be a good idea on a new vehicle's reflectors..or even reflectors in good condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 2000 Trep I took out the bulbs.And then I taped a piece of lint free cloth to a coathanger too make a swab.Reach inside the housing thru the lite hole and gently wipe surface of chrome with rubbing alcohol.If you put water inside of housing ,you will have water spots you can never get rid of.Mine looked brand new when I was done.then I took both lamps to work and sanded off degraded clear from factory.And put two coats of PPG urethane clear on them.That was six years ago and they look as good as new today.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my 2000 Trep I took out the bulbs.And then I taped a piece of lint free cloth to a coathanger too make a swab.Reach inside the housing thru the lite hole and gently wipe surface of chrome with rubbing alcohol.If you put water inside of housing ,you will have water spots you can never get rid of.Mine looked brand new when I was done.then I took both lamps to work and sanded off degraded clear from factory.And put two coats of PPG urethane clear on them.That was six years ago and they look as good as new today.
What type of alcohol did you use? isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think he means isopropyl.. Isnt rubbing alcohol an oily consistency?
It's always good to have a big bottle of isopropyl around anyways.. that stuff can be used to clean a ton of stuff.. and it's about $1.00 for a huge bottle

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry but what is rubbing alcohol (I'm from sweden) ?

:thanks:
Ignore the rubbing alcohol comment as that would not be the right product. Go to any drugstore, Wal-Mart, grocery store, etc. and get Isopropyl alcohol. You will find it with other first-aid supplies. Very inexpensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ignore the rubbing alcohol comment as that would not be the right product. Go to any drugstore, Wal-Mart, grocery store, etc. and get Isopropyl alcohol. You will find it with other first-aid supplies. Very inexpensive.

Thanks, I'll try with isopropyl alcohol on a cutton-top and see if the chrome will stay good or go bad.

Thanks

:usa1:

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
I buy a gallon of distilled water and mix with a quart of Isopropyl alcohol. Hold the headlight with the bulb holes facing up (with bulbs removed) pour in 1/3 of the water Isopropyl alcohol mix. Shake around for a bit.
Dump out mix. Repeat until mix is gone. Shake out as much of the water/Isopropyl alcohol as you can and set out in the sun until the dry inside. (may take a whole day or so)
It help if it is a breezy day or you can put a hair dryer ou to the hole set on cool.

I have done this on several sets now with fairly good results. I used the wrong alcohol once and disolved all the plastic chrome in a set of tails. :glum:.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I buy a gallon of distilled water and mix with a quart of Isopropyl alcohol. Hold the headlight with the bulb holes facing up (with bulbs removed) pour in 1/3 of the water Isopropyl alcohol mix. Shake around for a bit.
Dump out mix. Repeat until mix is gone. Shake out as much of the water/Isopropyl alcohol as you can and set out in the sun until the dry inside. (may take a whole day or so)
It help if it is a breezy day or you can put a hair dryer ou to the hole set on cool.

I have done this on several sets now with fairly good results. I used the wrong alcohol once and disolved all the plastic chrome in a set of tails. :glum:.

Thanks - I'll try this.
By the way, you said that you used wrong alchole once - what type was the wrong one?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts