DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Remarks:

Gas Mileage has not changed for me. Factoring in the 7% differene that my odometer shows.. I still average about 28-30 mpg on my usual hiway trips. in town.. I drive like a moron.. so my mileage sucks.. but hey... at least I admit it :)

Noise: It is almost impossible to tell that this has been done. even with a loud exhaust. The note sounds a little different.. (it is a little higher) but if I am not listening for that... I can't even tell.

Acceleration. Seat of the pants definately tells me that it is quicker from a stand still. Also, Cruize control on the hiway seems to be MUCH smoother.. as it appears that the engine just needed that extra 200-300 rpm to get into its *sweet spot* for cruizing. My car no longer has to shift/disengage lock up to get maintain 80 mph on the hills in western wisconsin.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"What chain setup do I have?"

To answer this.. you need to do some searching.

Stock on these cars is: anything from mid '95 and newer is a Dual Chain, Gemini system. anything before that is *most likely* a single chain system.

My Transmission was rebuilt once, (I have a late model '96) and to my surprise, the tranny shop put in a SINGLE CHAIN system. this really sucked as I thought I would still have the double chain.

Moral of the story: Get the chains... if you don't need them, take them back.

·
9,861 Posts
Everyone loves visual aids:

I stubbled upon these when I was looking through the 02 FSM for something. You can find these pages in the transmission section.

Something else I should mention is that I've heard of some people getting away with not removing the transmission brace/mount.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
uhh
there is enough play in the chains normally, so that you do NOT have to remove the chain snubber, or oiler.

·
9,861 Posts
I belive you just have to do that to get that chain spreader in there (if you use it).

·
9,861 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I have a 95' with ODB1 so i did not have those rear oxygen sensors in the way..

But... i did have to remove the exhaust hangers under the rear cross-member to get to all of the bolts on the chain cover itself.

I will be posting some other notes and pics once i get them on the computer...

·
Registered
168 Posts
3.89 gears help

I went out and purchased the gears and did most of what Lafrad's how to says to do,but i cant reach the bolts on top of the transmission,and i've tried lowering the transmission more for easy access but the transmission wouldn't lower itself anymore. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lafrad said:
"What chain setup do I have?"

To answer this.. you need to do some searching.

Stock on these cars is: anything from mid '95 and newer is a Dual Chain, Gemini system. anything before that is *most likely* a single chain system.

My Transmission was rebuilt once, (I have a late model '96) and to my surprise, the tranny shop put in a SINGLE CHAIN system. this really sucked as I thought I would still have the double chain.

Moral of the story: Get the chains... if you don't need them, take them back.
my transmission was also rebuilt once, now without taring it all apart is there any way to find out what system i have, and if i have the single chain system is there any way i can still do this upgrade or am i out of luck?

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
XXsportscar said:
my transmission was also rebuilt once, now without taring it all apart is there any way to find out what system i have, and if i have the single chain system is there any way i can still do this upgrade or am i out of luck?
just buy the dual chains and put the new chains in with the gears.. *upgade done*

when changing gears its always good to change the chain, as the old one might have stretched and could wear the new gears funny.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I went out and purchased the gears and did most of what Lafrad's how to says to do,but i cant reach the bolts on top of the transmission,and i've tried lowering the transmission more for easy access but the transmission wouldn't lower itself anymore. Any suggestions???

If you are trying to remove the transmission and are having problems with the top two bolts, on mine with the 3.5 I removed the plastic intake air ducting that hooks to the throttle bodies, and jacked the transmission up as high into the cavity as it would go, it changed the angle of attack so to speak, and made it easier to unbolt the top two bolts. This assumes you are removing the bolts from the top.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Why are you taking the trans out? of thats what you are doing

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just stumbled onto this how to thread. What is the improvement that is to be had here? I have a 1995 42LE gen 1 LH. Do these chains wear out or is this an improved part?

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
Improved part
Stock ratio is 3.66
These gears are 3.89's

Its a nice simple mod to make the car a little more peppy off the line.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
or put them in backward lol lil slower off the line, very zippy top end and better MPG lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts