DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

What brand of head unit should I look at?

• Clarion

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Kenwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • JVC

• AIWA

• Panasonic

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Eclipse

• Alpine

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other (if so please specify)

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I would really like to replace the head unit myself, but I am hesitant to rip off the center console because I'm afraid to break anything.

I'm wondering how the console comes off so I can get to the deck, and what kind of difficulties you have encountered (if any).

Also, is the wiring difficult? I have the 120 watt system. I would more and likely get something from Crutchfield since they throw in the free wiring harness.

Thanks in advance,
-chase

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought you knew about this stuff man?!:eek:
I am so dissapointed WarLord:cry:
I just paid $30 to get it install, i do not want to mess up my wiring:alien:
My friend installed his head unit and burn out the tachometer :confused:
Just be careful bro:wink:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yes I do know a lot about this stuff, but when it comes to replacing the head unit, I'm a bit iffy there. I know a couple of places that installs them for free (if you buy the head unit there), but I really don't trust car audio places anymore. I like to do my own stuff whenever possible so if something goes wrong, I know exactly how it was installed. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Warlord,

I have first gen but this weekend I am going home. My dad has a 2001 ES and I will if check it out for ya.

Brad

With my mothers 98 caravan basiclly they used a couple screws and the rest was pressure clips. Any visable screws most likely need to be taken out. The rest should pop out if you do it gently. Ill see how my dads is, take it out, put it back in. etc.

Brad

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
liqtenexp said:
Warlord,

I have first gen but this weekend I am going home. My dad has a 2001 ES and I will if check it out for ya.

Brad

With my mothers 98 caravan basiclly they used a couple screws and the rest was pressure clips. Any visable screws most likely need to be taken out. The rest should pop out if you do it gently. Ill see how my dads is, take it out, put it back in. etc.

Brad
Thanks man. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
617 Posts
hey man this is about the most simple install ive done in my life i have a 98 trep and i just recently took out the tape/cd deck and replaced it with a sony explod cd deck (not the wallmart version either) it was very simple all you have to do is take a rubber coated flat head screw driver and pry (not to hard) on the corners of the plastic bezel that surrounds the stereo untill one of the clips pop loose then carefully take it off you will have to unplug your heater clip and traction control button (if you have it) and then take off the bezel. after that there are only 4 screws holding in the factory deck take those out and pull the deck out and unplug the harness and take off the ground cable. and then what i did was went to a stereo shop and get a patch harness made for my car so that all i had to do was just wire my new harness to my deck (everything is color coated so its very fool proof) and just plub it into the factory harness and intall the deck by mounting it with the same 4 screws that held in the old one (of coarse your gonna need the install kit for the new deck holder mine ran 20 bucks for the holder and 6 for the patch harness) and screw it back in and put the trim bezel back on ( make sure you plug your heater unit and traction control back in ) and its done. its very simple and will only cost you the materials (mine ran about 26 bucks for everything) then you dont have to pay someone else an extra 50 bucks to install. ( total time to do this project for me was about 15 minutes):biggrin: if you have anyother questions about this process just let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just replaced the head unit in my 2000 Intrepid and it did not take more then 15 minutes to remove the old one and put the new one in. I think you are up to the task......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts