DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After searching for info on how to do this and not finding anything extremely useful, I am deciding to write up my own tutorial on how I performed this task. Before I begin, I would like to report that my throttle response, gas mileage, and responsiveness of the car have all gone up noticeably. This was performed on a 1993 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L ES.

Tools/Materials needed:
-16oz Seafoam Motor Treatment (found at local auto parts store ~$8)
-Rubber hose (not sure where, I found it in the garage ~$2)
-Plastic cup (look in the kitchen ~$0.25)

-Optional_16oz Seafoam Motor Treatment (to put into the gas)

Procedure:
1) Here is a small picture to show you the tools I used. The rubber hose doesn't necessarily have to be rubber. It could also be a plastic or neoprene of some sorts. Basically the hose is used to suck the Seafoam into fuel system, so it has to be able to fit snug onto the vacuum port.

2) Here is a brief overview of the front end of the car with the hood raised.

And here is an overview picture with designated areas of interest.

Note: 1-passenger side vacuum port for fuel injection system
2-drivers side vacuum port for fuel injection system
3-PCV valve hose
4-Brake booster hose

3) Here is a picture of the driver’s side vacuum port that feeds into the intake manifold.

FOR THE TWO FOLLOWING STEPS, THE CAR HAS TO BE RUNNING!

What I did was fill the plastic cup with 1/2 of a bottle of Seafoam. I disconnected the driver’s side vacuum line as shown in the picture below. I connected the hose to the vacuum port on the intake manifold and placed the hose into the cup. As you place the hose into the cup, the car will begin to suck the Seafoam up. You have to slowly let the vehicle suck up the Seafoam or you risk hydrolocking (<~ very bad) the engine. Just hold the hose and dip it into the cup, when it starts sucking up the Seafoam, take the hose out and repeat. The object is for the engine not to suck it all up at once. Repeat this process until the cup is empty. Then put the vacuum hose back onto the port it came off of.

4) Here is a picture of the passenger side vacuum port that feeds into the intake manifold.

Simply repeat step3 for the passenger side vacuum port as done in for the driver’s side. Remember to allow the car to suck it up slowly.

NOTE: Sometimes, this process is easier if you have someone with you to rev the engine because as the engine sucks up the Seafoam, the engine will stutter like it wants to stall. Simply revving the engine quickly will keep it running.

5) After the cup is empty from the passenger side, replace the hose onto the vacuum port, close the hood, turn the car off and wait 15 minutes. This will allow the Seafoam to attack all the carbon build up on the cylinders and valves.

6) Start the car up and start revving it up to around 3k rpms. You should see thick white smoke pour out of the exhaust. Keep revving the engine until the thick smoke starts clearing up. Get in the car and drive it around semi-aggressively running gears out to continue to get all of the Seafoam out of the intake system.

DONE! Now go and enjoy better gas mileage and increase in throttle response.

-The rest of this tutorial covers extra steps you could perform to the car-

7) There a few other places you could put the Seafoam to clean things up on your car.

Here is a picture of the PCV valve. If you disconnect the hose shown and put the cup up to the hose, it will suck up the Seafoam as performed above. This will eventually end up in your crankcase. This will clean things, but it is highly recommended to perform an oil change after performing this step as they say it is not good to leave Seafoam mixed directly into the oil mixture.

Here is a picture of the brake booster line. I couldn’t get a good picture of the other end of this hose, but once you find this hose on the side of your intake manifold, follow it to the other end. It is from there that you must disconnect the hose and have it suck up the Seafoam.

Finally, still another place to put the Seafoam is into the gas tank. Personally when I did this job, I put some into the PCV valve and the rest into the gas tank. Then I did an oil change, and got another bottle of Seafoam and ran 1/2 of it through each vacuum port on the intake manifold.

Thanks for looking. I hope this helped you out and saved you the frustration that I encountered in looking for something like this. :banana:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.