DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Camshaft Alignment tool 6642 for my 3.5 timing belt change.
The Service Manual said "Install Special Tools 6642 Camshaft Alignment
tools to the rear of each cylinder head by inserting pin on the alignment tool to the pilot hole on the camshaft".
the pilot hole should be on the other side of the camshaft, Should I remove the plenium to get there easily?

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
I bought the Camshaft Alignment tool 6642 for my 3.5 timing belt change.
The Service Manual said "Install Special Tools 6642 Camshaft Alignment
tools to the rear of each cylinder head by inserting pin on the alignment tool to the pilot hole on the camshaft".
the pilot hole should be on the other side of the camshaft, Should I remove the plenium to get there easily?
Remove the strut support piece/ wiper cowl/ support and you should be able to get back there. Just align the timing marks in front of the engine then install the tool. Most people don't use the tool though, I don't it's to much of a pain in the ass.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,497 Posts
The tool is only really necesary if you are removing the camshaft sprockets. I have never used it on a timing belt install. To install the tool, you have to rotate the engine to TDC where all the timing marks are aligned, remove the cowl panel, wipers, and strut brace, the plenum, egr valve (98-01), and the rear camshaft cover plates. The dowel on the tool fits into a hole in the back of the camshaft, then bolts into the holes where the cam cover plate mounted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
in other words......take it back and get your money. when I did my tb/wp change, I juist stuffed a whole bunch of shop rags around and behind the cam pullys when i put the new belt on,( kept the belt in place as well as prevented them to move when I released the tensioner, which I suggest finding some finishing nails to hold in place (they are thin and easy to pull out). Good Luck! take pics.

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
FWIW, the cam timing only affects the valve timing, and not the ignition timing. I used to discuss and argue (in a friendly way) with Ross about that, but he finally convinced me that the ignition timing is strictly determined by how the t-belt lines the cam sprocket up (relative to the crank/pistons) - since the cam position sensor looks at the windows in the cam sprocket.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just finished my timing belt and water pump change today. I spent about 8 hours with one of my friend help me. I started at about 9 AM and finished at about 5 PM. Actually my friend used to work in a garage for 3 months and he has some basic mechanic skills.
I used a 3 inch 3 jaw pulley to take the hamonic balancer out without any problem. I also got a long bolt to work as an insert.
The only challenge we have is align the timing belt. The OEM timing belt is not aligned in the middle when TDC, the first camshaft sprocket mark is close to the left dot, while the second camshaft sprocket mark is almost in the middle of the two dots.(belt start from crankshaft counterclockwise)

Follow the service manual, we put new belt on from crankshaft counter clockwise.

we tried 2 times and found it was hard to align the right timing mark when screwed the hydrolic tensioner on even before release the latch which holds the pushing pin.

So finally my friend figured out the first sprocket should be 1 tooth right to the right dot, and the second sprocket 2 teeth right to the right dot. then when putting the hydrolic tensioner on and release the latch the belt will roll to left and both of the timing marks on the 2 sprockets fall just in the middle of the 2 dots.
I use Dayco timing belt. After new belt was on, I turned the crankshaft several revolutions and checked the timing marks, both are in the middle of dots when crankshaft was in TDC.
I didn't use the 6642 tool.
I drove the car on highway for about 1 hour after the belt was changed, no more leak, car ran smoothly like before, no engine warning light on.

with a lot of help from this website, I finally finished my first timing belt change. This is a big step up compared to my previous work on intrepid.

Yesterday I went to the machine shop in my company to borrow some tools for this project, the manager said " hope I can see you Monday". He doesn't believe an electronic technologist can finish this job. So at least I can say thanks next Monday.

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
There is a dimensioned drawing of the alignment tool on another LH car site.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,497 Posts
Cool,
Can you through them in the mail or do I need to drive down to Raleigh?
Dang, should have had Chris just ship them to you, lol. He just got done with them. I can drop them in UPS if you PM me your address.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.