DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've been wanting to do for a long, long time, and something I've had in my head for a while now.

I've never cared for the front fascias of Intrepids. I always felt they were the week point in an otherwise excellent design. Of the two, I prefer the SE fascia. I don't really like the ES fascia because to me it looks like a big wide grin. Don't hate it, but I don't like it enough to ever want to "upgrade" to it.

However I do have my own idea for a front fascia. Problem is, I have no idea how to do any of that body work.

Does anyone know where/how I could look into to getting my design turned into reality? Or how much it would cost?

The design itself: I've played with the idea a lot, and I think I've settled on a design very close to what the current Viper's fascia looks like.

I know there's an aftermarket kit which has a Viper-inspired front end, but I don't like it. Firstly, it's lower than the stock fascia and I don't want that. I want mine to be the same dimensions of the stock bumper covers. Plus I don't like the lack of details (no character line), or how the grill opening is tall and narrow with the fog lights closer to the center than I want. This is what envision:

·
Registered
449 Posts
auto body shops will do it but charge you for the labor hours.. Find a reputable shop and getter done. I was also looking into this and found a couple places that were willing to do it if you have the cash to pay.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea what that would run? This is something that obviously wouldn't get done tomorrow...but it is a big thing on my list.

·
Registered
449 Posts
at least 600- 800.. Lot of work there. Plus its custom and fiberglass / filler / prep / prime / paint. When i threw my idea at the auto body place i use for work my guy told me 550 just to get it ready for paint. but fully customized the way i wanted it. Which wasnt bad. But i thought ok.. if someone hits be or i hit someone thats one expensive bumper. so i went the reg route.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$550 is not bad, more than I have right now but certainly not out of this world.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
That does look really good. That design is what the morons that made the viper kit should have followed. I echo your feelings exactly.

Honestly I wonder how hard it would be to start with a SE bumper and fiberglass it yourself. Obviously you need the glassing skills, but it doesn't look like a tough job. Find the fog lights that you want to use from a donor car (or use stock ones), cut out the inside of the two outer sections on the bumper, use dowels to glue the fogs in place, and then foam in around them to fill the space. From there you just carve the foam into the smooth shape.

The middle section isn't too hard either. It looks like you made the ps by flipping the bottem edge of the middle opening to the top edge. You could do that too and glass it in. Then for the bottom edge just cut it straight down and leave it.

Then you just need to build the lip at the bottom. I would probably use a router to create some "ribs" that make the shape. Place them every few inches or so across and then fill in the space between with foam that you carve into shape.

After that I would then use that piece to create a mold, and then cast a single piece fiberglass bumper. This way you get a piece that shouldn't crack (if you glass it right) and you can stash the mold somewhere to make another if something happens.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually the lower fascia is straight off a Viper SRT10 photo. It isn't as tall as the Viper's grill (I squished it a little), but the shape is the same, so are the fog light.

I have no idea how to glass. Wish I did!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if some company would be willing to make a limited run of them...?

I always wanted it to be a one-off, but if there's a way to do it where I can actually afford it, I can settle with knowing it was my idea. :D

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
This kinda motivates me to get my spare ES bumper painted than start cutting up the one that's on my car to make something a bit different.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know of any Jag that has a wide lower intake and no upper intake, taken straight from the Viper.... so I'm not seeing it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That looks good.. actually VERY close to how I was going to modify my combat body kit ..I was going to use a grill from a caravan and reshape it a bit.. I just need to find a yard donor for the project..
If you want to learn..spend some time on fiberglassforums.com .. it's easier than it seems..you just need to have the vision and know what to do to get the form.. pink insulation foam or 2 part expanding foam.. in my case it would be a combination of foam and donor parts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts