DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Chuck and I just recently acquired a used 2002 Intrepid SE. I got it at a bargain basement price for $750, but it has a jasper remanufactured engine with 80K, the interior is mint, great AC, and the tires are new and still under warranty. The bad was a dented passenger side door. I bought an undamaged replacement at the salvage yard for $55 of the same color (Bright Silver), now I just need to install it.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal. I've read good things about Jasper engines - that they beef up weak design areas. Get that door on and you should be able to enjoy it with routiine maintenance. We're here for questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm certainly hoping I did, because everything seems to be a real pita to fix when it goes bad from what I've been reading! LOL I appreciate the welcome guys, and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as time goes by.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
I'm certainly hoping I did, because everything seems to be a real pita to fix when it goes bad from what I've been reading! LOL...
Well - you didn't hear that from us!! Heh heh!

But these are approaching 15 years old, so you should be going in with eyes open. I still say you're ahead of the game with the Jasper.

Check metal brake lines just ahead of the driver's side rear wheels for rust - also the metal power steering lines along the driver's side fender along the fender, and the lines into/out of the ABS controller (below the PDC). Depending on where the car has been most of its life, they will be somewhere between pristine to about to rupture any day. If in good shape, that's a plus.

Coolant areas that tend to crack/split due to old, brittle plastic: Radiator side tanks, and coolant reservoir. If never replaced, keep an eye on those. Also coolant outlet housing - looks like it's the thermostat housing, but it's not - they have a habit of opening up.

90+% of problems at this age will be in the areas I just mentioned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Peva:

I knew given the age that It'd more than likely have a few issues. Thankfully I haven't experienced any of them yet! LOL I needed a car right away, and it was the best I found at the time. The Jasper engine and the great price were the clinchers for me in all honesty.

Thanks for all the great tips! I'll check them all out thoroughly. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts