DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

It´s been a while since my last question here, ´cause it´s been driving like a dream for a long time now. :)

There is one thing though...

Quite often I can hear a howling sound coming from the front end of my car, after I turn the engine off. It can go on for almost a minute sometimes. It sometimes is a high pitch sound, and sometimes a very low frequent sound... it´s not one long tone, but lots of repeted sounds. "wouumm....woummm..." Great description huh? :)

I can sometimes hear the high pitch sound while driving too... very short though..

Anyone recognice this? I can´t figure out what could be causing this sound, when the car is all shut down!!

Any help appreciated!

/ Johan

·
Registered
638 Posts
Vacuum or gasket leak maybe? The only sounds I here are the occasional clinks as the residual fuel burns off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It´s hard to tell where the sound comes from. Sitting inside the car, it seems to come from somewhere inside the dashboard. I can hear it from outside of the car too, but it´s very hard to determine where it comes from. I am quite certain it´s from the back side of the engine room though... close to the windshield. I´´m absolutely clueless about what could be causing it! It seems to show up alittle more often after rain. It can go on for almost a minute sometimes!

The car is working perfectly, so I guess it´s not a problem really, but you always wonder about strange sounds, right? :)

I read somewhere that the water pump could cause a howling sound, but that would stop right when you shut down the engine, wouldn´t it?
:confused:

V

·
0 Posts
Hej Johan fra Sverige.

I bet your AC is on these days (mine sure is in Denmark). My car does that too, - it's the expansionvalve for the AC "leaking" high pressure when shutting off engine. I sometime hear the same sound while driving and AC is in automatic mode. Try cycle AC on and off every two minutes, and if you hear the sound after the compressor is shut off, I think that's your "problem". No harm done as long the air in the cabin is cold....at least I was told.

Carsten

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hej igen Carsten, det var ett tag sedan sist! Allt bra med dig och din Vision hoppas jag!

Maybe that could be the problem! I´m gonna do as you say and see if that will produce the sound. It sure sounds like a logical explanation! Is your car making this sound as long as for a minute after shutdown too?

// Johan

V

·
0 Posts
Hej Johan.

I didn't exatly time it, but I'm sure it will go on for at least 15 - 30 sec. The expansionvalve is locatet under the air inlet tube / air distribution duct in the engine compartment, but you'll hear the sound in the ventilation ducts inside the car too until all AC duct motors are in closed position after turning off engine.

I'll mail you later.

Carsten

1 - 7 of 7 Posts