DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't double posted, it didn't come up before....
heres the basics:

1994 3.5 Intrepid, 141,000 Miles
Turns over okay, but super loud idle sound, gassy smell, and whitish smoke. I was afraid to drive it, so I don't know how it drives now. This started suddenly, it was running okay the night before!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two weeks before, there was a loud "snap" sound in the front of the car, but nothing happened afterwards, I didn't know what it was, I'm not sure if it is related or not.

My husband says, "NO new repairs on the Intrepid" because he says it will be minimum a thousand dollars, and even the towing and diagnostic will run a couple hundred. He says this is NOT WORTH IT at this point. Is he correct? I want to fix my car if possible, but I have no idea what this problem could be, if it would be very serious and expensive. ANY advice gratefully received.

J

·
0 Posts
Kick him in the ass and tell him to get roll up his sleeves and start smelling the engine fumes..

For Christ's sakes.

Threaten divorce if kicking don't work.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
head gasket, maybe exhaust manifold gasket too.

Yah, a shop will want a thousand. Your old man could probably do it for $300 and a saturdays worth of work.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
just for grins and giggles,, have you checked all the fluids>? the gas smell may just be a injector "o" ring leaking first gen treps 3.5's were famious for that,, white smoke usually means coolant leak somewhere,,
its a start,, but if you really like the car fix it,, its still cheaper than a car payment
doc

·
Registered
660 Posts
Or check behind the engine and see if the steering rack is hitting the engine wire harness and moving it. If so it can short some of the wires and cause an injector to run all the time causing a rich condition and the white smoke/bad idle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the fast idle and white smoke I would guess intake manifold gasket (lower). About $10 in parts and maybe 8 hours labor... (I did mine last weekend)

Mike

J

·
0 Posts
Yes. Jake is right, lol.

But she didn't reply yet. Possibly busy with the divorce lawyer. :)

:evil:

hehe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Injector causing rich condition would be black smoke. White smoke could be severe lean condition or water/coolant. Or both. White smoke + rough could be intake, letting in too much air and varying vacuum signal. Or loos of compression on one or more cyls.
Loud idle can be head or exhaust. Head will cut power down something awful where the exhaust is more of an annoyance (with fire).
Lemme ask you - HOW hot has the engine been? When deciding to get the top side overhauled keep in mind you may get "hidden" stuff like resurfacing the heads. And new bolts should be used (no joke).
The "snap" bothers me, though. It's also possible that you mighta cracked a head.
Get a trusted (no matter how expensive) mechanic to look it over and give an estimate. Deciding is easier with "real numbers" in front of you.
The Intrepids are good cars and they're "worth more" than the pitance people pay for them. Think of the cash you'll have to put out to replace it with an equal car compared to what repairs cost... Or... get another trep cheap and rogue the "worst one" for everything you can ;-)
GOOD LUCK WITH IT!

Boron-X

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks!

You all were right....and so was I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My favorite car is working again, and it was simply a leaking seal. I did a long and complex math calculation and figured with all the money (including repair costs) I have spent on my car over the past 12.5 years, it has cost me only twenty cents per mile (not including gas). If I drive ten thousand miles per year, then spending about 2,500 on the car will still be twenty cents per mile, and I spend WAY less than that, so that means the cost of driving it is going DOWN as the car gets older. Plus, I like my car, so there.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i think its kinda strange how these engines start anyhow, when you turn over it always revs right up to like 1500 rpm for about 3 seconds then drops down.. still does it with my new 3.5

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
g0ldfinGa said:
i think its kinda strange how these engines start anyhow, when you turn over it always revs right up to like 1500 rpm for about 3 seconds then drops down.. still does it with my new 3.5
ford duratec 3.0 24 valve revs to 1900- 2300 and stays for 5 secs- 20

1 - 15 of 15 Posts