DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks , can someone please tell me what the problem is with my 94 Intrepid ES ??

I was thinking maybe you guys can help me before a mechanic fleeces me and lies to me . I am new in this town and dont have a mechanic I can trust like my old town..

Anyhoo , all of a sudden yesterday my coolant bottle overflow hose started spewing out tons of coolant with white smoke everywhere.. For some reason the temp gauge in the car was in the middle and didnt show signs of overheating.. However before I opened the hood and saw the white smoke, I could smell the coolant from inside the car while driving.. Thats when i stopped..

A guy on the side of the road quickly pointed out that its probably my Thermostat because the hose leading right into the thermostat was rock hard when the car was running ( I filled up the smoking coolant bottle with water and started the car again as per his request)..

So I spent 5 bucks on a thermostat and changed it .. After starting the car again , that hose that was so hard before was now soft .. So I thought the problem was fixed..

Now a day later I am driving for 30 minutes and I am looking ahead at a stop light , All of a sudden I see white smoke AGAIN Coming from the right side where the coolant bottle is.. I stop again and see that its the same problem , only that this time , the smoke and boiling water wasnt as intense as before , but you could see the water boiling inside the coolant bottle reservoir..

At this time water was still spewing out of the overflow hose attached to the coolant bottle... But for some reason my temperature gauge in my dashboard DOES NOT show a high temperature , it is still showing a needle a little lower than halfway !

Anyhow , I can drive for 10 minutes without a problem now , but I dont drive a minute more because this problem starts again..

So my questions are , what is my problem ? Is it because I have been refilling the coolant bottle with water instead of the glycol 50/50 mixture they recommend ? And water alone has a lower boiling point ? I am in florida and everyone says water alone should be fine..

And why does my temp gauge inside the car say everything is okay ? Even with the water boiling in the coolant bottle and spitting out hot water with tons of smoke the temp gauge looks halfway..

I know I fixed something because after the thermostat replacement, that big hose leading into the thermostat wasnt hard anymore like the first time I had to pull over..

Please help , have any of you had the same problem ? My 94 is in mint condition , its a 3.5 ES , I love the care , interior perfect and has treated me well.. Please give me some advice as to what is causing this.. thanks !

* By the way , there are no leaks , I just took the car out for 10 minutes and running great , I opened the coolant bottle right after stopping and the water was at the exact same level in their which I suppose means that there are no leaks right ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
502 Posts
Fill Cap

I'd check into replacing the cap on the coolant bottle. That has a certain amount of force in the spring which seals the coolant reservoir. A guy on ASOG had a probelm with the coolant boiling off because the cap was no longer sealing properly to the reservoir.

It can be proven with someone who has a cap that works. I've even tried it. After the coolant is at temperature, when you turn the car off and open the cap, you can see and hear the coolant inside begin to boil.

Give that a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHHH , because the rubber seal inside the cap was peeling on the first day and I took it off.. It could be as simple as that eh ? Amazing..

But the water wasnt leaking from the cap itself , it was leaking through the hose Connected to the top of the coolant bottle..

The owners manual says that the pressure release hose..

By the way , i have heard that water pumps go out alot on these cars.. could that be it ? is that the reason why the water is backing up like that ?

I checked , only $42 at the auto parts store for a new water pump , is it easy to install ? And where is the water pump for a 94 intrepid ? thanks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Maybe youre water pump. Or like ATF said the cap. Because the hoses are pressureized and they need to be sealed properly. To cool properly. So make sure all youre hoses dont leak or anything of that sort.

Maybe youre radiator is leaking air. I had to replace mine 3 weeks ago and i was having the same problem.

It was like youres so i ignored it. then after a while the gauge really went up one day while i was driving.I then parked the car and shut the engine off. When i shut the engine off smoke shot up from the radiator, and allot of it. so then i saw where it was comming from, it was comming from a small hole in the radiator. so take it to mechanic and have everything checked out.:cool:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the waterpump is on the passenger side in front behind the black cover. it's a weekend job or so to do the whole thing because there's some other work you want to do while you're down there. also, i wouldn't get an aftermarket waterpump, i'd bite the bullet and get a mopar OE pump.

the waterpumps DO go often on these cars, every 70k miles or so but if the waterpump went all the coolant would be leaking from the front of the engine.

check that coolant bottle cap. that sounds like a possibility just because of where you saw coolant spewing from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts