DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plastidipped my intrepid.. the color was supose to be flourescent red.. its more like pink people told me because i didnt do enough coats and the car was silver. so its like pink. i used a air compressor spray gun and i think you are supose to use a electric spray gun instead the electric guns give more even and also a bigger area of spray.. im going to try again this summer with blue.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I dipped my rims and my hood, using black... with that silver base, before the summer coat, may want to investigate the primer they offer now. Should help keep the colors true.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
are you sure it comes off easy. i had to use a micro fiber towel to rub it off my head lights it wouldnt come off in big pieces.

next time i am doing flourescent blue. i didnt know they had that color until after i did this.

i really want to get these rims i can get all 4 for $430 but i dont think its in my best interrests i think the blue color will match my current rims now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i will try to take it off later im going to use this color for a while.. but im getting mad because too many people look at my car and some people even laugh at it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I dig it...I plastidipped the bumper, lower grill surround and wheels on my FX4 for the winter and its held up nicely. I'm going to redo it in the spring. Its amazing stuff, I'd like to do my entire Vision.

How much did you use?

How did you apply it at the door edges?

Can you take a couple pictures with the doors open?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
alot of people stare at it and today i looked up and some girl was just laughing at it. i dont know what people think cause no one ever told me but some of my girl friends online said they like it .but i think it looks good. its only cost $150 to do.. its takes 4 gallons to do 5 coats on this whole car.. but some places it didnt get as thick as other and i cant figure out why.. im sure i sprayed evenly on the whole car.. i think its better to use an electric gun because you dont loose pressure so the coats will be more even. its $150 for 2 gallons and i use xelyne to thin and thats $20 a gallon at lowes. i use 1 gallon of thin for every gallon of dip.. so its pretty cheap to do.
the one guy i work with keeps calling it pink and its pisses me off cause its not pink.

heres the site where i get the stuff
i was to try flourescent blue next time i think it will match the rims better.

http://www.awarehousefull.com/one-gallon-plasti-dip/

i didnt open to doors or anything. it just sticks.
the only part you have to worry about is how you mask stuff off.. when you peel stuff off be careful you dont rip off the parts you wanted painted cause it all sticks together. they say you should take your tape off when the stuff is still wet. but i didnt do it that way.
if you watch this guy you will see how easy it is...

http://www.youtube.com/user/iamthepuzzleman/videos?view=0

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks for the info. My eagle needs paint really badly, the roof and fenders are pealing badly. There is only one dent on the car that has been there since I got it. I think this spring I'm going to do my eagle in flat black, wheels and all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i ordered flourescent red but mine doesnt look like this lol
i didnt even want red i wanted green first but when i looked on ebay there was no flourescent green or blue i didnt find the site with all the colors until after.
you should try it ken its easy. but you have to do 5 coats. just wait 20-30 mins between each coat. and dont put too much at first it runs.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have sprayed it before but just from a spray can. I was going to buy it by the gallon and I was planning to use an electric sprayer. So you are saying like 2 gallons of plasti dip and two gallons of thinner.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
yes and that will make 4 gallons of sprayable dip .. buy the concentrated gallons its cheaper that way and thin it yourself its easy.. for everyone gallon of dip use 1 gallon of xylene to thin. mix it in a 5 gallon bucket. now the first and secound coat you wont really notice anything but thats normal. be patient.. and it might take you all day to finish your car it takes a long time. so you might want to do the roof and the hood one day then the rest of the car the next day thats what i did. and with 4 gallons i did 5 coats on my car so if your car is smaller you should be fine with that. you can even do 6 coats if you want. you also have to make sure your gun is a hvlp gun. the Wagner Double Duty HVLP Sprayer is a good gun to use.

another think i am working on is how to master washing and drying because mostly everything gets stuck to the dip like little strands of whatever the towel is gets stuck and then you have to wash that out with somthing i used all purpose cleaner.. i already ordered this special towel

but i didnt get it yet. they said you can let it airdry because water does not stick to dip so it makes no water marks but what about in the winter? this one guy said you can use a rubber chamois i might try that. but dip is awesome its so much easier to wash your car now.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts