DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of my buddies and myself found out that if you take the fuse out for the 'gauges', the odometer [mileage meter that increases] doesnt work, which is pretty cool, but I think I felt a difference without the fuse being in there, performance wise.. I don't know if it was better or worse, but I was wondering if this could mess up the car in any way...
thanks in advance di.net...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Are you sure, because I'm 99.9% sure that the mileage is stored in the BCM & not the gauges. Thats why you can swap clusters and retain the correct mileage. I can't see why removing the fuse for the gauges would make a difference.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hat Trick | Mafioso said:
...if you take the fuse out for the 'gauges', the odometer [mileage meter that increases] doesnt work, which is pretty cool...
Also, if you take out the fuse for the headlights, they won't work :gross_06:

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Are you sure, because I'm 99.9% sure that the mileage is stored in the BCM & not the gauges. Thats why you can swap clusters and retain the correct mileage. I can't see why removing the fuse for the gauges would make a difference.

first gens are not stored in the BCM< but rather in the rolling odometer IIRC

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
that is correct. My Intrepid is rolling around on an odometer that about 10,000 miles less than the car

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
dabirdzR/T said:
Right, good call. I forgot about the ol' rolling odometer. That said, nobody buy a car from hat trick!!!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
dabirdzR/T said:
oooop... good point, I retract my earlier sarcasm :icon_smil

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, my buddy did it on his new car, and does a lot of driving (but keeps the car/engine always looking new) and took out the fuse so he wont go past his warrenty... ex: long trips.. but I drove around a little bit today, and found out that it wont let the car shift without fuse in... another way I thought about was taking out the cluster and de-soddering the point on the actual milage meter, and hooking it up to a switch..

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
[Pssst...]

This is a public forum and what you're talking about is illegal.

[/Pssst...]

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Ya I'll keep this thread in mind when you go to sell a car. And like CDN R/T said what you are talking about is VERY ILLEGAL on a federal leval

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hat Trick | Mafioso said:
*while FEDS are readin*lol um... I was just lying to be cool?
Quick do a Hat Trick to take their attention away...ahh nevermind your Mafioso screen name alredy caught their attention. Too bad you were a nice guy... :smilie_kn

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
CDN R/T [Pssst...]

This is a public forum and what you're talking about is illegal.

[/Pssst...]

Enough Said.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is highly illegal unless you report the mileage difference on the title. Just like you are technically supposed to do that if you were to buy a set of gauges from the boneyard and drive around with them in but then put your factory gauges that are showing WAY less mileage on them if you go to sell the car or if you go to get warranty work performed on it...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I Know on my old car if you removed the cluster and drove around like that the alternator would not charge the battery thus causing it to die. learned that due to the fact i sent my cluster in for a set of gauges or should i say for the first of its kind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That was why I said to put in a set of gauges you got from the salvage yard. and let the miles read on them instead of the factory gauges. It is still illegal and is odometer fraud if you dopn't mark that on the title.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
In wisconsin after 10 years the milage is exempt on the title. One more year and I don't really have to have acurate milage.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
iggy said:
In wisconsin after 10 years the milage is exempt on the title. One more year and I don't really have to have acurate milage.

most states i think it is like that, i know in cali its like that, and we have some of the strictest fraud laws in the country! (what i think it is iirc is htat is what the federal law states, a individual state can go longer, but is not required to)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know north carolina you only have to have the damage waiver saying that it has not been in an accident that caused more damage than 25 percent 0f its value until it is 10 years old, but you have to sign the odometer discrepency on all cars. Or at least I did on a 73 mach 1 mustang that I sold in 2004.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts