DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got a 99 intrepid like a week ago, and today i was driving and..seems like my auto stick is stuck in 2nd gear. It starts off in second gear and it wont shift up or down. Im not sure if this only happens when im using auto stick or if its with both. But . . is this my trasmission or ..have others of you had this problem too?! please respond! thanks! :)

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
well..........it might be a transmission sensor (the most likely situation).........either an input or output sensor.

One of mine went out at 20,000 km when the car was only about 10 months old.

It's a good idea to change both if you have one bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so whats this transmission censor gonna cost me?..and was urs doing the same thing? like starting off in 2nd gear and not changing?..by the way ur intrepid is tight as hell

·
9,861 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
it shouldnt hurt anything for local driving, i wouldnt try a cross country trip..... the parts should cost you around $50 and its an hour project in the driveway if you have the tools

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i think im gonna go tolike advanced auto parts and ask em what kinda tools i need and try it my self...is it hard for someone that doesnt know much? lol

·
9,861 Posts
Do not drive too fast for too long in 2nd.

The sensors are pretty easy to change with a the right tools.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When the guys say right tools, all they mean is a rachet, extensions, maybe a universal and a metric socket, I forget the size. Nothing special.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya it ****ing sucks to drive right now. I cant go faster then 2nd gear so im stuck atlike 40 mph tops and the check engine light is on so it scares me. And, by the way im only 17..still think i can change it on my own?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
dennyray said:
Ya it ****ing sucks to drive right now. I cant go faster then 2nd gear so im stuck atlike 40 mph tops and the check engine light is on so it scares me. And, by the way im only 17..still think i can change it on my own?
If you read the thread that hypnos linked above it says a 1" deepwall socket and some other stuff - read it carefully.
Only 17? - Can you change a spark plug? :)
Just be careful and use jackstands or ramps - you don't want the car falling off the jack at the wrong time ... :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts