DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the problem i got a 96 intrepid and it is in great shape. i mean it still has less then 86,000 miles on it but the g/f wants a smaller car. so i tried to get rid of it for $3000 not really a low price but i really did not want to get rid of it. well now she has me in the mood to buy a new car. so i decided between 1 of 90 million mustangs or a 2000 Intrepid with 75,000 on it . out of the two (and don't hate the stang) what should i do? i don't know **** about the second gen intrepids. is there alot of bolt ons or as we call them in the army "balls" out there that i can add to the trep? i mean we all know that stangs and civics have thousands of parts that can be bolted on. remember that i love NOS and want to put it in my 96 if i keep it but i am looking for turbos on my next car. :badcomp:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to add she wants a Hyndai Accent or similer but told me not to worry about getting it yet.(She wants to drive mommys car) but i am getting another car so let me know something. if you know where to get one of these cars pm me asap i am looking to buy in approx 3 months

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Well if you are looking for something that will have alot of aftermarkets parts for it then go with the Mustang. I have a 2G Trep and there are not alot of aftermarket parts. From reading some of the post you can put a supercharger or turbo but will require that you do some relocating of parts (at least that is my understanding - not to knowledgeable as a gear head)

With all that being said I do feel that if you get the 2G Trep you would be very happy with the car and then just check a few of the 2G Treps on the site about mods to personalize it for you.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My two cents worth:
If the 2000 'trep has a 3.2 or 3.5,snatch it. If it's got the 2.7, you're trying to draw towards an inside straight,so to speak..Might be good, might be ready to shell out at the 80K mark...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'd say cut the gf loose and buy the car you want.

It's one thing to work in a partnership with a wife (or husband), but this is getting a little 'controlling'..........

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
well if its her trep. sell it. If its yours dont do it. And just save for a toyota for her.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok to the comment about cut the g/f loose...no can do i am about to marry this girl when i get back the the United States so thats out of the question. Also to Peppa Boy it is not her Trep but her ex best friends(my baby's mama) i bought it for her. So my girl knows how the car is and she hated driving it when i was with her friend. So i dunno. I am also looking into the dreaded Civic Si what you thinking now?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's messed. I can't believe you're selling an intrepid to buy a civic. It's insulting on so many levels. Small cars are for the driving challenged. Atleast go with a mustang that has some power to it (depending on what class of mustang you buy).

By the way, you can NOS up any car with the right tools. Bolt on kits are expensive anyways. Buy a NOS 'kit' and set out a plan to where you're going to have it placed, what you need, and a timeline. You can always buy seperate parts for your needs as you're installing the system. Civics will have a NOS bolt on kit for twice the price of just a NOS kit that you'd have to figure out how to install yourself. Either way, NOSing up a 2L honda engine just seems so stupid when a stock 3.2L will compete against it. BTW, I've seen a few superchargers on first and second generation cars. They're easy to install. You just need a bigger belt, some flexible hose to connect the supercharger to the throttle body and a new filter that fits the supercharger. Alot of them just shifted the alternator down and put the supercharger ontop.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
^^ ditto.

But A sunfire would be a good car for her. Or a Cavileir maby even a neon. They have the feel of power and are better looking and better respected then any honda.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Amen. Get a Dodge Neon. It's small like a ricer, but won't fall apart on you. There are also tons of "balls" for them, and if you've got 17K to spend, you can get an already tuned version in the SRT-4 option. It can beat most warmed up tuners right out of the lot. Add NOS and you've got more speed and power than you'll need. If you must, get a Ford, or a Chevy, or a Pontiac, but don't get and import. You're in the Army, so you must be patriotic, right? OK, well you can't buy an import then, it's just wrong. Buy American.

Get the Neon SRT-4, it's a small, performance oriented car with lots of add-ons available that will be reliable and safe. But hey, to each their own, as long as it's a Dodge!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't buy it

Envy2005 said:
ok heres the problem i got a 96 intrepid and it is in great shape. i mean it still has less then 86,000 miles on it but the g/f wants a smaller car. so i tried to get rid of it for $3000 not really a low price but i really did not want to get rid of it. well now she has me in the mood to buy a new car. so i decided between 1 of 90 million mustangs or a 2000 Intrepid with 75,000 on it . out of the two (and don't hate the stang) what should i do? i don't know **** about the second gen intrepids. is there alot of bolt ons or as we call them in the army "balls" out there that i can add to the trep? i mean we all know that stangs and civics have thousands of parts that can be bolted on. remember that i love NOS and want to put it in my 96 if i keep it but i am looking for turbos on my next car. :badcomp:
I have a 2k intrepid it has cost me more then anyone can imagine just put a new engine in and a used computer and its still not working right.Something about the cam sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dont buy the intrepid (defect in the oil pickup tube ) 2k to 2003 mine died at 69k miles just spent 2500 on a used engine and then found out computer was bad. Replaced that Now it keeps on giving out something about the cam sensor which has been replaced 3 times and still it wont work right.Its been sitting in my yard (yard jewelry) for a year and I pay almost 400 a month If anyone has any ideas please let me know this car has almost put me in bankruptsy 2000 crysler intrepid

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
yea i got a 00 trepid and i have to replace my oil lines every winter out here cause the heat drys them out havent replaced anything major but now my output on my ac is out so now i gotta replace that
and what are you looking for like a family car ? or something with power ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can you afford 2 cars? if you like the Trep keep it for you and get her something SHE wants. Or even better- LET HER get herself something she wants. They like that kind of thing, you know, freedom, choice, etc. Makes them think they are a responsible, intelligent, free adult (like they are). If it's something that is a lemon/problem car help her research it before she buys and make sure she knows about the problems so she can decide, but let her decide what she wants to drive.
My wife, then girlfiriend, drove an 89 spirit (and an 86 spirit before that). She wanted a larger car, looked at Gran Prix's and liked them (as I did) so I looked into the mechanics of it and found they have tons of tranny problems (makes the 2.7L Treps look like precision German machinery) so decided to pass on that. I suggested a Stratus and she fell in love until we went to a used car dealer. We saw a Trep on the lot and a Stratus and went back the following day to drive the Stratus. She liked it, but she salesman and I suggested she try the Trep which she loved on the spot.
(I let her take the salesman's lines for about 2 hours until she was about to close the deal on the Trep partially in tears because she didn't want to buy it there and then but got caught by the salesman then I stepped in and got her out of it - had to fight off the sales man and the head sales man and we walked away) She found a better equipped of the same model at another dealer a few weeks later, we went to look at it and did the deal for less money. She hasn't looked back. In other words let her be happy with what She drives and you be happy with what you drive else it can be a bone of contention in a relationship needlessly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you tried to replace the crank sensor? A lot of times the crank sensor gets bumped when the engine gets pulled. Mine would drive for about 10 minutes then die. The key on and off method doesn't show the code for the crank sensor all the time. I used a snap-on scanner then replaced the crank sensor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts