DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my car back from being rebilt at the local Cottman and after $1,833.36 later, it was a quart low on fluid, splash shelds missing, hard shifting into 2nd gear, and jurks real hard when I shift into reverse. They had the car backed into the parking space when I got there. I started to shift fine when I left there. but when I was five min. from home it started to shift hard. As soon as I got home I left them a very strong message on there mechine. Thanks for listing to me vent but I am so pissed. I want to do this do them :explode:

·
Registered
375 Posts
i don't blame ya for being pissed after that much expense!

but i have to just cause i've had a few and find it funny

"but when I was five min. from home it started to **** hard"

sorry bro

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Damn, I just realized who you were 95. Sorry you are having troubles

That sucks - where is Cottman ??
Those Transmission Doctors/Clinics guys screwed me over years ago.

There is a strong stereotype that tranny shops do crap work and charge a lot. I don't think they charge less than $1000 for anything they do.

Let me know if you ever need any help. I'll see what I can do.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Best tranny shops are the dirty ass places where everyone looks like a redneck. I've had two tranny's done by those kind of places (4l60E in my 96 Silverado and a604 in my Avenger) and both have been perfect.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
And they probably used the wrong type of fluid too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
doesn't the tranny's computer have to teach itself your driving habits for a while after being rebuilt?

·
Registered
299 Posts
woah... i would have been pisssed too

·
Registered
52 Posts
xSocialMisfit said:
Best tranny shops are the dirty ass places where everyone looks like a redneck. I've had two tranny's done by those kind of places (4l60E in my 96 Silverado and a604 in my Avenger) and both have been perfect.
I agree there. The hick joint around here is Kilde's. He is definately someone doing his job because he really enjoys it and wants to give people a cheaper way to go. I never had any real big problems until my last huge blowout, but he put my new exhaust on for $13.00.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Man I am glad my father-inlaw rebuilds transmisons. Just had mine fully rebuilt and costed a whole 250 bucks. Of course thats not including my new SE Gears he threw in while my car was apart. I would say that 75 % of rebuilders have no clue what they are doing. Hopefully they get it fixed for you.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
bat078 said:
doesn't the tranny's computer have to teach itself your driving habits for a while after being rebuilt?
the trans computer does not learn driving habits. what it learns is the way that new parts operate. as the parts wear it constantly updates the information. when any parts are replaced inside the tranny,including the torque converter, there is a "Quick Learn procedure using a DRB scan tool connected to the blue trans connector under the dash. any dealer can do this or a tranny shop that knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
from Allpar

The A604 was a revolutionary development, but it suffered from Lee Iaccoca's desire to rush it into production. It was the first electronically shifted hydraulic automatic transmission that used fuzzy logic to learn to adapt its shifting pattern to match the driver's habits and tastes, as well as to compensate for internal conditions. No other automaker had attempted to replace the many valves and servos in a transmission with simple solenoids controlled by a computer. What's more, Chrysler was often not followed by others in their use of a "limp" mode, to take the driver home even in cases of control failure. The limp mode deliberately restricted the driver to second gear so the vehicle would be serviced.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sucks - where is Cottman ??
It was the one off of San Rittenberg Blvd.
Those Transmission Doctors/Clinics guys screwed me over years ago.
I heard bad things about them so I wasn't about to take my car to them
Also where in Charleston are you? I took my car back to them the next morning. They said that they didn't put the splash shelds back in is because they were riped witch is total bullshit. After I filled it up to the proper level it started to shift alot better. and they replaced the motor mounts claming that is what was causing it to jurk when I put it in reverse, and while it doesn't jurk anymore it now clunks.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
cottman sucks ass. Any major chain for trannys really suck. Like said above, the best places to have rebuild ets done is by local shops that are just themselfs. There buisness resolves around good work and word of mouth etc, so if they do **** work they loose money and buisness. Cottman does so many so fast and so shitty they don't care, they do enough ok work to keep them afloat.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had my first car I owned serviced at a cottman location back in '94. I was on my way to a megadeth concert and blew the tranny im my car. caosted down the hill and pulled it into the cottman transmission store. Because it was already there I had them replace the tranny for me. When I went to pick up my car it drove fine for most of the day then started shifting really hard. Didn't notice I was leaking fluid. Parked the car in our garage and my dad came home later asking me why there was tranny fluid all over the floor of the garage. He looked at the tranny and found the bolts wherent tight on it. The tranny was fubar after I had driven around on it all day leaking fluid.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am just a couple minutes away here in Otranto.
That's more than a cople of minutes away for me since I live in Summerville. Maybe we could have a miny meet sometime?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
http://www.cottman.com/customerservice/
here is the web site for them i would call and talk to them also remember the BBB in you area give them hell they took you big time i would have got a trans from a bone yard and had it installed at least then you wouldn't have to sign over your first born
also did you get your free shirt at least you could burn that on a saturday in front of there store

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I alread sent them a Email to them and haven't heard a thing from them. I thought about going the BBB. I think that I'm not the only person they pissed off, when I picked my car there was a guy yelling at he manager saying "I should tell all of your customers that you are a lying cheeting basterd" that should have been my first clue to the problems I was going to have. And I never got a shirt, but if I did I would defently do that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts