DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds easy right? My friend and I were going to replace the starter on my Caddy. Got the new one installed and it got the engine to turn over, but it sounded horrible in the process! So I started the engine again, and this time it wouldn't engage the flywheel at all. Nasty screech sound. So we then took it off and installed a shim, reintalled and tried to start it again. Same **** as above. :sneaky2: So now I have the old one.(which is original) and the new one, and I'm going to return to the parts store to see if I even have the right starter. This had me boiling! Grrrr! :gun2: It's just a damn starter!!! :gun2:

So I may have to drag her in to a local shop to see if they can get it going. I can't put the old one back in because the electrical connection part of the solinoid broke. I also could rebuild it, but the kit is $25.00 vs. $40.00 for a new, rebuilt starter.

I could go for one of these :blunt: *sigh*

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sure it will if your problem so happens to be you have a lot of food that needs eaten, and a couch that needs to be sat on for long periods of time, and some cash thats burning a whole in your pocket, and your too smart for your own good then pot will solve a lot of problems.

But not as well as drinking.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jesda said:
Join us at Cadillacowners.com
Already registered. I'm creepingdeath over there as well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've been very lucky. Every rebuilt starter I've put in cars over the years has lined up perfect first try without using any shims.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Operator said:
I've been very lucky. Every rebuilt starter I've put in cars over the years has lined up perfect first try without using any shims.
Question: Do you think i would need to shim it more? The shim included was about half the thickness of a CD. But I also wonder if shimming it is going the wrong direction. Maybe it's sitting too far away from the flywheel? That scenario is probably unlikely tho.

·
Registered
211 Posts
creepingdeath said:
Question: Do you think i would need to shim it more? The shim included was about half the thickness of a CD. But I also wonder if shimming it is going the wrong direction. Maybe it's sitting too far away from the flywheel? That scenario is probably unlikely tho.
Correct engagement from valley of teeth to peak of engaged starter tooth is the same as the diameter of a paperclip wire. If that helps any...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks, but it turns out there was a bolt it the way. (in the middle of where the 2 starter bolts go)We thought it was a bolt that holds together part of the tranny bell housing. In fact it was acting as a shim of sorts. We removed the bolt, reinstalled the starter, and SHE LIVES!!! Perfect start! No screeching / grinding! Pheww.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Maverick9110E said:
the starter on the 3.3 is a ***** to take out and put in, because of that one bolt thats like damn near impossible to reach.
It just takes 2 ppl to do it. Its still a 45 min job. Greese falls on your face. Its cramped under the car.

3.5 has to be a ***** no hand space up top to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts