DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this will sound weird but I’m not really sure how to word it, When I come to a stop, say at a intersection or drive through I hear a clunky/rattle somewhere in the front or under the car, when I put it in Neutral it stops, when I put it in park it stops then when I put it back in drive its gone, so I keep driving alone and at the next intersection it does it again until I put it in neutral, It doesn’t do it all the time but its really annoying lol. What the the hell is that LMAO, I’m told its the catalytic converter mount is broken or something like that, any suggestions would be helpful.

1997 Chrysler Intrepid 3.3

·
Registered
549 Posts
Watch out, Could be your water pump going. I heard something like that and I would do that also when I stoped at lights or drivethroughs. But when I take off it would quit and go away.. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am experiencing a similar problem with my 97 3.3 Trep. Mine is more of a tap-tap-tap almost like a very noisy lifter. Can't quite isolate where it's coming from. If I bring the engine revs up just a bit - say to 800-900 rpm the noise disappears. The next time you hear it in drive, put your foot on the brake (assuming you're already stopped) and ease down on the accelarator just a bit and see if the sound goes away. In otherwords I only hear my noise if the engine is right at or slightly below idle. Strange thing is the noise won't appear if the engine is stone cold. It has to be warmed up a bit. If you figure it out, please post your fix. It is extremely annoying.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my sounds coming from under the car in the middle not close to the engine, but im going to get the cat sheilds checked, i think there just loose

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a 97 3.3 with a worn-out timing chain that makes the "rattle-clatter-grind" noise. Also had a snapped intake bolt that sounded similar. The timing chain noise sounds like it's from the area of the A/C, until you steth it out. Injectors make a similar racket, though nowhere near as loud.
3.3s are prone to some lifter noise. I've also heard them "knock" on cold start-up.
Is the noise worse in gear than P/N? Is it a 2.7? They have bad timing chain tensioner/followers and ANY noise should be checked out, pronto. Like yesterday.
I've had old Mopars with loose converter bolts, that gets REALLY loud, generally only in gear.
Belt tensioners also make a racket and are very prone to failure. If you suspect a "periphreal" as the noise, remove the belts and start 'er up, just long enough to verify noise/no noise.
Gofor300, check your intake bolts. Hard to get to, but you may be able to stick something in there to "nudge" them, see if any move. Mine was a LOUD tap-it-ta-tap, especially in gear @ idle. If not that, might be a good idea to check that chain.

Good luck!

Boron-X

1 - 7 of 7 Posts