DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some knowledge on my transmission. Two weeks ago my car would not go over 60 km/hr. The engine would rev quite high if we tried to go higher. Soooo, I take it to a local garage. They said they checked it on the computer and drove it and assuredly stated the transmission is gone. Okay so now I call my transmission dealer. I tell him the info and arrange to take the car over. He orders the used tranny (financially better for me) and replaces the old one. I find out he didn't recheck the electrical. He discovers the 'new' tranny has two broken speed sensors. He takes two off my old one and finds that they work and so determines the new one needs these two sensors and proceeds to order the replacements. I'm trying to find out if this determines that my tranny was gone or could it have been fixed. Was I duped into paying out alot of money. The car, although would not go above 60 would still go into reverse and park. It just wouldn't go into overdrive. Can someone please shed some light on this so I don't feel so depressed about spending so much money!
Lynn

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yeah it seems they stiffed ya....speed sensors make the tranny go in "limp" mode if they're bad, this is common with chrysler trannys. That means the the tranny will be stuck in second gear as a safety measure, until the sensors are fixed. Some tranny shop ppl are bastards and will try and make a quick buck telling you the tranny is gone and then they "replace" it, when in reality they only need to replace these sensors. Was your speedo working when this hapened ???

·
Registered
531 Posts
lynncorry1964 said:
I'm looking for some knowledge on my transmission. Two weeks ago my car would not go over 60 km/hr. The engine would rev quite high if we tried to go higher. Soooo, I take it to a local garage. They said they checked it on the computer and drove it and assuredly stated the transmission is gone. Okay so now I call my transmission dealer. I tell him the info and arrange to take the car over. He orders the used tranny (financially better for me) and replaces the old one. I find out he didn't recheck the electrical. He discovers the 'new' tranny has two broken speed sensors. He takes two off my old one and finds that they work and so determines the new one needs these two sensors and proceeds to order the replacements. I'm trying to find out if this determines that my tranny was gone or could it have been fixed. Was I duped into paying out alot of money. The car, although would not go above 60 would still go into reverse and park. It just wouldn't go into overdrive. Can someone please shed some light on this so I don't feel so depressed about spending so much money!
Lynn
Too many so-called "mechanics" are nothing more than parts-replacers, and they gamble on their guesses with your money. The actual problem might be something cheap but they will still charge you big $$$ for what they did that wasn't even necessary. I will bet that is what happened.

·
Registered
715 Posts
it sounds as though it was only two $20 parts (tranny sensors) that were needed and they dry humped you for a new/used tranny. i would seriously raise some hell about the issue.

on a side note, if you ever encounter problems in the future, check here first. there are some very knowledgeable people (and those that pretend to be lol) that can answer many of the problems encountered with your trep. good luck with your situation....

--rudy--

·
Registered
3 Posts
my check engine light came on in my 02 intrepid....then the transmisson hard shift back into 2nd....and wont shift back out of it until shut off and restarted...fixing the problem until it "hiccups", I took it to my tranny guy who coded it for me...it threw a P 7176 and a P0700.i was wondering if yall had some insite to this problem.....he said it was probably the shifter solonoid or the computer....any suggestions?
Caryn

·
Woober Goobers!
51,854 Posts
Did you mean P1776? No such code as P7176 for the transmission.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,854 Posts
If it is P1776..here ya go....

P1776-Solenoid Switch Latched in L-R Position

Possible causes:
Low battery voltage causing symptom
Transmission pan has excess debris
Debris in pan caused valve body damage

The troubleshooting section goes on to say that replacing the TCM will not repair this fault. Also check to see if P1784 is present which is L-R Pressure Switch Circuit. which leads back to P1776. The Transmission diagnostics manual goes on about checking the pins on the TCM carefully for any pins pushed out or corrosion..particularly the grounds and power sources. It also says to drop the transmission pan and if excessive debris is found then to overhaul(rebuild) the transmission. Doesn't sound good. If something came apart in the transmission..then the valve body can be clogged, etc. Just to be sure...get that code checked again to make sure we're not going down the wrong path. Write it down!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.