DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes Yes, I know someone could have been killed. This is why I don't street race except for this one time.

So, I am getting of I-43 and pull up to a stop light. I am in the inside lane to turn left and there is this late 80's to early 90's Corrola I think in the outside turning lane. He revs his engine so I looked over and noticed the guy probably goes to my school, and he had 3 or 4 people in his car. So I put my left foot on the brake and rev my car to about 1200 rpm, just in case he is not looking to race. I just kept looking for that green light to go. When it does, we both slowly make the left turn (Special sway bar helped immensely) and I push the throttle about half way down. Our cars were about even and I notice his car pulling ahead. I floored it and I must have been moving fast enough that it stayed in 2nd gear instead of going to 1st. I look over and my car is slowly pulling ahead of his. I noticed that his car shifted very abruptly like it was a standard transmission. About 1000 feet away from where we started was a green stop light and after that the 2 lanes merged into one. As we cross the stop light, my car was about a foot ahead and he slows way down since his lane was ending. I looked down and I was going 80-85 mph.:eek::eek: As a nice victory dance, I gently pushed the brake pedal to slow down to about 65 mph, and I threw the gear selector into L so I could slow down fast without turning my brake lights just to scare the crap out of him. on. The ol' 2.7 really earned her V6 Magnum badges today lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
My intrepid is slow! lol but i did beat a caviler and an impala before, it was a base impala, it was a fair race bcuz he and i had 20inch rims on, I once tried to race another Intrepid Se and it put a whoopass on me bcuz I had 20inch rims and it had hub cap thing goin on, this time i was the ass.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It's handy to know your cars speeds it can downshift at. Especially for 2.7's.

I ran a Sunfire GT in my LHS. I was going too fast (120km/hr) for a kickdown to 2nd so the roll on starts in 3rd. It struggles against the tall gear and I'm barely taking the little 4 banger on. Just starting to pull a bit and the damn early upshift into 4rth. Still took the Sunfire but I did not represent the 3.5 very well.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it was a stupid 20 year old Corolla with 4 people in the car lol. Its just nice to know that there are always slower cars out there than you.

We weren't on the expressway, we were getting off lol.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
at least you didn't get flamed for posting a 2.7 kill, I had Gorm give me negative rep when I first joined for killing a SHO :boid:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
2.7 FTW

and street racing isnt bad if your on a highway or something, i do it all the time, the trep is a real sleeper these ricers dont knwo what hit em hahaha
thats a stupid statement to make. Racing on the highway is more dangerous if anything, as soon as someone shifts into your lane that's a disaster waiting to happen. I guess using your terms we could say that drive-by shootings aren't bad ass long as we do it in southern Chicago.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
lets not pull away from the issue at hand here, and through all technicality, the term 'street racing' is used when it appears to officers to have been organized prior to and it is not held at a LEGAL location, anything else impromptu from a set of lights is 'engaging in a contest of speed' lol, pretty much the same thing, but they dont take yur car after lol

Check the specs on an 80 something corrolla, I believe they are a lighter faster car, so my props go to Megatrep and his 2.7

·
Registered
106 Posts
thats a stupid statement to make. Racing on the highway is more dangerous if anything, as soon as someone shifts into your lane that's a disaster waiting to happen. I guess using your terms we could say that drive-by shootings aren't bad ass long as we do it in southern Chicago.
well only a retard would race if people we're in front of them :doh:

if people are 1/2 mile ahead of you whats the big deal?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
It's handy to know your cars speeds it can downshift at. Especially for 2.7's.

I ran a Sunfire GT in my LHS. I was going too fast (120km/hr) for a kickdown to 2nd so the roll on starts in 3rd. It struggles against the tall gear and I'm barely taking the little 4 banger on. Just starting to pull a bit and the damn early upshift into 4rth. Still took the Sunfire but I did not represent the 3.5 very well.
I would like to know what early upshit into 4th you guys are talking about.... I've raced a lot of times and I have been able to redline my 3rd gear...(~210-215 km/h)....

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I would like to know what early upshit into 4th you guys are talking about.... I've raced a lot of times and I have been able to redline my 3rd gear...(~210-215 km/h)....
An R/T is set up a little different than an LHS. Maybe that's part of the reason you're only getting 12 mpg

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Well there are 2 differences I can see here. One is the early upshift. Yes. I can not redline 3rd. Not sure what the rpm is but it's definately before 6500. Around 4900 or so it will shift into 4rth.
My car will actually upshift a bit later than what some of you other claimed to redline at. Into 2nd is about 6700rpm.

The other difference is your speed of 215km/hr. In my car the party is over at 190km/hr. Speed limiter owns me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts