DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for grins, since I was buying the mopar ATF, I thought I would ask the service dept how much for a tranny service, and while I had it there how much to swap in the 3.89 gears.

1. they recommend not dropping the pan as I have 108,000 on the clock. Just doing the fluid exchange thru the power flushing. Cost $169

2. I asked about the gears, they brought out the tech, he said this was a 10 HOUR JOB,(come on, LOLOL). He also said they pull the trans out to do this.(come on.)

So needless to say I had a very good laugh :baaa:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Haha, thats the dealerships for ya - 10 hours - not too shabby... lol

I have an se w/ the obvious 2.7 - what gear ratio would that have and would could i do to give it more zip (tranny wise if possible). - i dont know too much about the trannys - yet...

Just always open for recommendations...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Mopar Dewd said:
Haha, thats the dealerships for ya - 10 hours - not too shabby... lol

I have an se w/ the obvious 2.7 - what gear ratio would that have and would could i do to give it more zip (tranny wise if possible). - i dont know too much about the trannys - yet...

Just always open for recommendations...
Yours already has the 3.89 gears. The 2.7s came with them stock because as much of a dog the 3.2/3.5 is off the line, if the 2.7 had the same gears it would take you forever to get going. The only possible way I think for you to upgrade your gearing would be to get the prowler pro gears, but they're like $1000 and probably wouldn't make a really noticeable difference with the 2.7.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Alright - thats what I was thinking...

I'll just be satisfied with the gears I have and work on other goals such as cold air intake, 3.5 engine, and of course the es/rt grille and call it a day... or, however long it may take...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
lol @ 10 hour job.

Reactions: k-nash

·
Registered
510 Posts
So on these trannies do we have a drain plug - I'm assuming that since they recommended not removing the pan...

k-nash said:
Just for grins, since I was buying the mopar ATF, I thought I would ask the service dept how much for a tranny service, and while I had it there how much to swap in the 3.89 gears.

1. they recommend not dropping the pan as I have 108,000 on the clock. Just doing the fluid exchange thru the power flushing. Cost $169

2. I asked about the gears, they brought out the tech, he said this was a 10 HOUR JOB,(come on, LOLOL). He also said they pull the trans out to do this.(come on.)

So needless to say I had a very good laugh :baaa:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mopar Dewd said:
So on these trannies do we have a drain plug - I'm assuming that since they recommended not removing the pan...

Nope no drain plug.... And I have no idea why they didn't want to change the filter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
But even though they didn't want to do it, or didnt 'reccomend it' does that mean thats how it should be done in this case? Or can we do it the old fashioned way and leave the damn thing on and do it quick and easy? Shortcuts can be expensive... are we making the mistake or are they in this case?

Reactions: k-nash

·
Registered
646 Posts
alot of things a dealership does is because they have a certain procedure they HAVE to follow, fast, slow, or inefficient if they do not follow that procedure then if something happens they can get sued. Technicians stick with what the factory tells them, to avoid legal issues, its not their fault. The 10 hour thing is probably because the tech hates intrepid transmissions, most technicians in any dealership do.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Japy said:
alot of things a dealership does is because they have a certain procedure they HAVE to follow, fast, slow, or inefficient if they do not follow that procedure then if something happens they can get sued. Technicians stick with what the factory tells them, to avoid legal issues, its not their fault. The 10 hour thing is probably because the tech hates intrepid transmissions, most technicians in any dealership do.

That makes sense, I just couldn't believe He said to take the rear diff cover off, that you have to pull the tranny!

Amazing as many members here just removed the rear crossmember, and got to the cover just fine.

Anyway it just made me laugh.. And of course I will swap in the gears myself. :nose:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I just found out the dealer I took my car to for the trans fluid change did the flush too. Boy I'm pissed. I told them I specifically requested for them to drop the pan, change the filter and put it all back together. Nope, they only do flushes on cars with 75K+ miles. Looks like I'm going to take it to a different dealer, a more honest one.

I normally change my trans fluid every 10K in all my cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
dif cover?

Excuse me - maybe I am missing something here. I have overhauled many engines, trannies, and differentials in my day but I was wondering where you think the differential is in a front-wheel drive auto? I would like to see you r&r. change ring and pinion, and set the backlash and preload in less than 10 hours. Perhaps you need to educate yourself before making such profound accusations.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
birddog said:
Excuse me - maybe I am missing something here. I have overhauled many engines, trannies, and differentials in my day but I was wondering where you think the differential is in a front-wheel drive auto? I would like to see you r&r. change ring and pinion, and set the backlash and preload in less than 10 hours. Perhaps you need to educate yourself before making such profound accusations.

Just my 2 cents
Hi Birdie,

As you should know, the Intrepid has a very interesting powertrain for a front driver. Yes there is a diff cover and the "gears" we speak of are not the ring and pinion but the differential sprockets and chain. Check out the service manual on these puppies. You might get confused:wow:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
birddog said:

Just my 2 cents
Yup, I would say you're definitely missing something here. Maybe you should educate yourself before making your self look like a total dumbass.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
have you ever looked at an LH series transmission bird?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
birddog said:

Just my 2 cents

Well obviously you have never overhauled an LH car, engine, tranny or otherwise, now have you?? :hmm:

Perhaps you need an education in our cars.

NUFF SAID :****you:

·
Registered
646 Posts
if a dealer tells you one thing and does something else then you need to take it back and tell them to do what they originally said, if they dont like it, talk to the manager, if he doesnt like it keep going up the chain of command to the owner if need be. It'll get corrected. Remember the customer is always right. (usually anyway :p)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You really need an education

FYI - I have the dealer service manual. The 2 gears(sprockets) with a chain belong to the transfer case located at the rear of the transaxle. The "diff cover" technically is the cover behind the CV joints where the ring gear and pinion are located.

I would be happy to share this information with you but you have already given me a bad reputation, undeserved, I might add.

I have pictures from the shop manual and would be happy to post if someone would tell me how. My education could be lacking in this area, as I am new to the boards.

The point I was trying to make is that you criticize the "stealership" for charging 10 flat rate hours for the job. You are obviously not a mechanic or would know that the you would have to remove the axels and tranny to get to the ring and pinion of the "differential". How long do you think it would take you to r&r the tranny and replace the differential? You incorrectly used the term diff for the transfer case housing and gear set within. If you plan to intelligently discuss these issues you should use the correct terminology. Lay off the mechanics - they work real hard for their money and have to stand behind their work. They do this for a living and not a hobby.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
birddog said:
FYI - I have the dealer service manual. The 2 gears(sprockets) with a chain belong to the transfer case located at the rear of the transaxle. The "diff cover" technically is the cover behind the CV joints where the ring gear and pinion are located.

I would be happy to share this information with you but you have already given me a bad reputation, undeserved, I might add.

I have pictures from the shop manual and would be happy to post if someone would tell me how. My education could be lacking in this area, as I am new to the boards.

The point I was trying to make is that you criticize the "stealership" for charging 10 flat rate hours for the job. You are obviously not a mechanic or would know that the you would have to remove the axels and tranny to get to the ring and pinion of the "differential". How long do you think it would take you to r&r the tranny and replace the differential? You incorrectly used the term diff for the transfer case housing and gear set within. If you plan to intelligently discuss these issues you should use the correct terminology. Lay off the mechanics - they work real hard for their money and have to stand behind their work. They do this for a living and not a hobby.
excuse me birddog, but most guys on this board do the gear swap themselves, and it DOES NOT involve dropping the ENTIRE tranny
not in the least...

so all we're saying is, you don't have to drop the tranny, and that the stealership tech is dead wrong, it does NOT take ten hours...

im not discounting your mechanical knowledge or that of a dealership tech because they dont necessarily know the best way to do everything, they work on a large variety of different cars, but these IS an easier way to swap the gears on these cars

any bit of mechanical techno babble you can spit out cant take away that fact...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts