DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was trying to remove the oil drain plug but the bolt got messed up.... the bolt became cirlce with the wrench... i even broke one of my socket doing this... i was turning it the right way so thats not the problem... i tried removing it with a vice wrench but it just made it worst... its just eating the rest of the bolt.... what should i do???? how would it come out now?? has anybody have an experience like this??? please help me....

·
Registered
467 Posts
use a 12 point socket that is one size smaller than the correct size. WD-40, then hammer that socket on.

if that doesn't work, invest in a set of turbo sockets :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
The absolute worst thing that can happen is you'll ned a new oil pan.

That being said, use visegrips but squeeze it as hard as you can and lock it on the bolt.

WD40 the bolt like crazy and use steady put presistent force on the vise grip and it WILL come loose. Then trick is squezing the vise grip as hard as you can to lock it.

DO NOT HAMMER A SOCKET ONTO THE BOLT UNLESS YOU WANT A CRACKED OIL PAN!!!!!!!!!!!

I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE!!!!!! I REPEAT DO NOT HAMMER ANYTHING ONTO THE OILPAN!!! YOU'l JUST CRACK IT!!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That or file 2 sides of the bolt flat (will take a while) And get a good grip with an adjustable wrench. How the heck did the bolt get on that tight? Yikes

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
cobra65 said:
That or file 2 sides of the bolt flat (will take a while) And get a good grip with an adjustable wrench. How the heck did the bolt get on that tight? Yikes
Exactly my thoughts, take a grinder and try to flatten 2 oposite sides, then use the vise grips.

·
Registered
467 Posts
grinding sparks + oil pan = bad.

vicegrips are only going to make your situation worse. chances are the ratchet/wrench you were using is twice as long as the vicegrips. if you couldn't break it loose with the ratchet, you're certainly not going to break it loose with the vicegrips. as stated before, they only made your situation worse.

get the smaller socket, tap it on, the oil pan won't crack.

·
Registered
376 Posts
WD-40 is not your best choice as a penetrant. It is primarily a water dispersant (hence the WD.) Get yourself some PB, Kroil or Seafoam Deep Creep and spray the hell out of the bolt. Do it several times over a day or so. Then try again with the vice grips being careful to clamp them as tight as you can.

You might want to consider taking the car somewhere and letting a professional deal with the problem. Even a quick lube place should be well equipped to deal with this problem and should only charge you a few bucks extra for a new drain plug bolt.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
:eek: You broke a socket on this??? :eek:

If you do try the 12-pt socket trick be very careful when tapping the socket onto the bolt - the pan is cast aluminum and will crack under too much pressure. But if you've already broken one socket I don't see where the next socket is gonna' be any different.

IMO - You're stuck. If I broke a socket on the oil pan plug I'd head straight for the junk yard for a replacement oil pan and not bother trying to take the plug out - it's shot anyway and chances are the pan is, too. You've got to ask yourself what's going on in there that created so much resistance. Much quicker and easier to just replace the pan and gasket ...

·
Registered
202 Posts
95PGTTech said:
grinding sparks + oil pan = bad.

vicegrips are only going to make your situation worse. chances are the ratchet/wrench you were using is twice as long as the vicegrips. if you couldn't break it loose with the ratchet, you're certainly not going to break it loose with the vicegrips. as stated before, they only made your situation worse.

get the smaller socket, tap it on, the oil pan won't crack.

eh?
it's not like the oil inside the pan is going to catch fire and at this point the bolt is already ruined,A nice new pair of vicegrips with nice sharp grips are probably your best option.
If you get the bolt to a point where it turns even a little then turn back the other way,go back and forth the whole way out if it comes out hard,course being an oil pan bolt once it starts you shouldn't have a problem.

If you were in Omaha I would say stop by,I'd get it out :)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I agree vicegrips and get a long pipe 4 foot or longer. That fits over the handle of the grips. I had to do this on a 1985 Shelby Charger Turbo. The dam shop used a impact wrench on the oil pan bolt. (The Ex wife worked a a Chevy dealer, and got me a free oil change coupon).

·
Registered
467 Posts
when you work in an automotive shop for a living, it's not unheard of to get in big trouble for even going near a car with vicegrips or an adjustable wrench.

there's a tool for every job, vicegrips and adjustable wrenches are NEVER the right tool, good way to fvck stuff up bad, quickly. about the ONLY good thing vicegrips are for is holding something to the grinder/help on the vice/hot parts.

Either get yourself a new pan or a turbo socket. And as mentioned, be careful hitting it on...use some finesse, not a 20lb. sledge.

ghetto-ass repairs that are being suggested are a GREAT way to dig your alread-large hole even deeper. sorry if that comes across harsh, but seriously, there is a right way to do things, and many wrong ways.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
95PGTTech said:
there is a right way to do things, and many wrong ways.
If it works then it must be one of the right ways !!! You suggested him to get a new oil pan or this "turbo" socket wich it's just going to do the same thing as the vice-grip, so he might as well try what he has at hand and then if all else fails it's time for an oil pan. I don't see the reasoning behind the (vice-grips are not for that .." when the head is stripped. And I could grind that bolt-head to get a better grip no problem as I do that for a living too, without damaging anything 100% guaranteed ! Keep you mind open to alternatives, you might be a mech. but that doesn't mean you know everything there is to know and previous experience holds more water than guesswork !!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I was speaking from previous experience.

If you know what a turbo socket is, you wouldn't be questioning it. Expensive, however it is very much the end-all, be-all of stripped nuts/bolts.

Vicegrips are why he is in this so deep to begin with. Had he just rounded it slightly and not gone the extra mile to make it a complete circle, he'd have a lot more options.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
95PGTTech said:
I was speaking from previous experience.

If you know what a turbo socket is, you wouldn't be questioning it. Expensive, however it is very much the end-all, be-all of stripped nuts/bolts.

Vicegrips are why he is in this so deep to begin with. Had he just rounded it slightly and not gone the extra mile to make it a complete circle, he'd have a lot more options.
As I said I would have squared it off first before trying the vicegrips, heck I would have ground it down so it would fit another socket. I still say that if he grinds it down (at no additional cost) and try it again it would work unless they threadlocked that bolt , then he'll need a torch. BTW he should try heating it up a bit .

·
Registered
376 Posts
No one can say that vice grips won't work here unless they have seen how badly the head is chewed up. I would never take a pair to a good bolt, but since this one is already destroyed they might be worth a try. With the right penetrating oil and time it may break loose.

It's nice to have access to expensive, specialty tools but most guys don't. Vice grips have gotten me out of jams and I'm sure most people here would agree. When used right, a pair of vice grips is one of the most versatile tools you can have in your bag. When used wrong, it's no more or less useful than any other tool used incorrectly.

I still suggest you take it somewhere and pay for this oil change. If Paul Bunyan put the drain plug in, he probably put the filter on as well. Even if you get the drain plug out, you might get stuck on the filter. If you mangle it and can't get it off, you'll have to pay for a tow to a garage. In the future, make sure you use a 6 point socket to prevent this from happening again. Good luck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
As I said I would have squared it off first before trying the vicegrips, heck I would have ground it down so it would fit another socket. I still say that if he grinds it down (at no additional cost) and try it again it would work unless they threadlocked that bolt , then he'll need a torch. BTW he should try heating it up a bit .
you use blue wrench to expand things. unless he's going to burn it out (talk about a bad idea), the torch will be useless, it will actually make it tougher for him to get it out.

I still would just use a turbo socket + impact gun.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Nah it'll come out !! I thought it was worse. You have to try and get a good pair of visegrips and get it really tight in there, I mean TIGHT !!!!!!!! Your eyes should be popping out when squeezing the vise closed , that's how tight it should be. If you have a minigrinder try to grind 2 oposit sides flat as I said so the visegrips have no way of turning without the bolt turning with them unless it snaps !

·
Woober Goobers!
50,363 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
You have to try and get a good pair of visegrips and get it really tight in there, I mean TIGHT !!!!!!!! Your eyes should be popping out when squeezing the vise closed , that's how tight it should be.
That's a pretty good description on how tight the visegrips should be...LOL. Don't forget your face should be deep red when your eyes are popping out tightening those vise grips! That was pretty good!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Here’s my two cents. I’d go to the dealership and simply have them do an oil change. I was by the Dodge dealership here in Missoula a few days ago and they had a thing up saying that they do oil changes for $25, so I’d say just have dodge deal with it so you don’t end up with the head of the bolt twisting off, cracking you oil pan, or popping your eyes out \/ (see below in my signature) \/ trying to tighten the vise grips on the bolt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts