DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to get rid of my CD player and replace it with the Storage Bin (mopar #4698659) I want a cubby hole/ empty shelf /storage place for my phone, glasses or something - but I can't find one - I tried searching ebay. Anyone have one they removed - or want to swap it for a 6 CD changer that works? I see lots of the ones for the caravan - I wonder if it fits - see below photos

Top picture is my CD player and the bottom picture is from a caravan - that open slot is what I want but not sure if it would fit

Automotive tire Bumper Audio equipment Office equipment Gas

Steering wheel Plant Vehicle Vehicle audio Satellite radio

·
Registered
202 Posts
I want to get rid of my CD player and replace it with the Storage Bin (mopar #4698659) I want a cubby hole/ empty shelf /storage place for my phone, glasses or something - but I can't find one - I tried searching ebay. Anyone have one they removed - or want to swap it for a 6 CD changer that works? I see lots of the ones for the caravan - I wonder if it fits - see below photos

Top picture is my CD player and the bottom picture is from a caravan - that open slot is what I want but not sure if it would fit

View attachment 42507
View attachment 42508
I find it ironic that there was a point I was thinking about changing my storage bin out for a CD changer haha! I think your best bet to find this would be on eBay or at a salvage yard. They are usually in lower trim cars which they sold quite a lot of. I’m sure as you’ve found out, it’s not hard to take it out.

·
Registered
202 Posts

View attachment 42507
View attachment 42508
Btw it should fit. If you have the CD changer (from the picture above) in it now, it should fit fine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is ironic - Does your phone fit in the spot well?

Btw it should fit. If you have the CD changer (from the picture above) in it now, it should fit fine.
Do you know if the storage bin/ pocket from a Caravan fits? It has a different part number and is stamped with a different Mopar number as well. I can find liads of them cheap - but none of the pocket except NOS for $60 to $100. I just can't won't pay that much. Haha

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
FYI...the 6 disc CD changers are much more reliable than the 4 disc versions and don't "Skip" anywhere near as much as the 4 disc versions.

It's possible that the Minivan Cubby Pocket might fit as the face opening of the 4/6 changers is narrower than the radio opening as shown in your comparison picture. The pocket is held in by two screws just like the changers.

Seeing as how there's a difference in part numbers there could be one or more differences in size between the LH and Minivans. Height/Width/Depth could be different in one or all three dimensions. That I have no info on.

If it's cheap enough buy one of the minivan ones and let us know if it fits.

Reactions: NYCDahon

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Ronbo! I can get the Caravan storage bin for $21 total shipped so I will give it a shot - but first I put some feelers out via ebay so unless one of those comes through for the real thing I will order the Caravans tomorrow. Hey, I bet you are the guy to ask - did you ever hear of anyone putting a 4 CD changer into one of our cars - or a 6 CD into a Caravan? I assume it requires also swapping the radio over too. If that was ever done then likely this storage bin swap will work.

By the way - if anyone is interested - I now use a $12 bluetooth cassette adapter I got off of EBAY and it is fantastic!

Product Font Audio equipment Gadget Electronic device

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
...By the way - if anyone is interested - I now use a $12 bluetooth cassette adapter I got off of EBAY and it is fantastic!

View attachment 42510
I used to use a wired cassette adapter some years ago in my Concordes - one of the simplest, cheapest, and most reliable ways to add aux. audio to these cars. The bluetooth is a nice added touch to get rid of the cable. I think you loose a little audio quality with bluetooth (that's what I've read), but I don't know if the difference would be noticeable compared to a wired connection, especially in a car environment.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to use a wired cassette adapter some years ago in my Concordes - one of the simplest, cheapest, and most reliable ways to add aux. audio to these cars. The bluetooth is a nice added touch to get rid of the cable. I think you loose a little audio quality with bluetooth (that's what I've read), but I don't know if the difference would be noticeable compared to a wired connection, especially in a car environment.
Hi Peva - I have those too - but I switched back to Iphone when LG stopped updating their phones - and the I phone needs an adapter to use the adapter. The 5.0 bluetooth is very good with audio quality and it charges on USB - also it has a button to switch to phone to hands free answer calls. I am a sucker for cheap tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly - I do not have the 4 CD player just the 6 - so I am flying blind! Haha

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
Both 4 and 6 disc CD changers fit that opening in LH cars. The Bezel is physically the same.

Your car should've come with a 4 disc changer if it came with a changer stock.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cool - I am a gambling man so I will give the Caravan Storage Bin a shot and will report back! I found a seller willing to take $20 total for one in nice shape - just bought it!

Automotive tire Font Bumper Automotive exterior Brand

Bumper Rectangle Gadget Grille Automotive exterior

Office equipment Gadget Laptop accessory Rectangle Luggage and bags

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Auto part
Rectangle Font Parallel Automotive exterior Number

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Hi Peva - I have those too - but I switched back to Iphone when LG stopped updating their phones - and the I phone needs an adapter to use the adapter. The 5.0 bluetooth is very good with audio quality and it charges on USB - also it has a button to switch to phone to hands free answer calls. I am a sucker for cheap tech.

"the I phone needs an adapter to use the adapter"
Hah! Yeah - tell me about it! A month ago, I switched from the soon-to-be-unsupported iPhone 6s to the iPhone 13 Pro. (They decontented the 3.5mm audio jack starting with iPhone 7.) So - it's not enough that we pay $1k+ for s phone, but we have to spend additional money to be able to listen via either 3.5mm jack or blue tooth ear buds/headphones!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha - not even a charger with these $1000 bricks - phone cost more than my Concorde when I bought it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Peva - I did want to say a positive thing about apple - I bought a used Apple 3 watch (38mm) for $75 -it was in great shape. It is fantastic to use while driving with the free Tunein app to control stations. I also really like it for texting while driving - I can just easily dictate a text and send it. I also use the voice memos a lot for note taking. Ok - too much info but I use google maps for directions and traffic - but find that and weather apps are just easier to do on the phone. I just bought an Apple 4 watch (44mm) for $100 - want to see if I like the bigger size - will sell the one I don't keep back on ebay.
Watch Wood Natural material Clock Rectangle

·
Registered
202 Posts
Peva - I did want to say a positive thing about apple - I bought a used Apple 3 watch (38mm) for $75 -it was in great shape. It is fantastic to use while driving with the free Tunein app to control stations. I also really like it for texting while driving - I can just easily dictate a text and send it. I also use the voice memos a lot for note taking. Ok - too much info but I use google maps for directions and traffic - but find that and weather apps are just easier to do on the phone. I just bought an Apple 4 watch (44mm) for $100 - want to see if I like the bigger size - will sell the one I don't keep back on ebay.
View attachment 42517
I've only used apple products and the only windows laptop i had crapped out on me after 3 years of use. While I don't like how they are removing essential parts of the product to make it work, they tend to have unparalleled quality control.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True the stuff is very well made - but I am not a fan of their limits imposed strictly to force sales of their software & hardware - as an example - I still have to use an Android TV box for all streaming rather than AppleTV.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
crApple !! heh

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crApple !! heh
I always avoided Crapple Phones - I loved my LG V40 phone - but LG stopped doing updates and then my camera started having issues - I now switched to the Pro Max 13 - and really it is about the same as my old LG V40 - both are the exact same size and have more or less the same 3 lenses - the Pro Max is heavier but it has a better battery life and better video. Software updates on any androids other than Google's own Pixels or Samsung's phone is really hopeless.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
My only recent Apple products were iPhones for work. Blackberry (RIM) went tits up RIP. Thankfully I don't have to deal with the Gubbmint for work anymore and Gubbmint contracts. I hated those iphones.

I've got one Mac Mini left and I don't think I've even turned it on in the last 2 years! For me Apple is a No Go due to them locking you down to their hardware/software. For Creative Artist/Musician types they seem to be great! For the Server/SAN/NAS market fuggedaboutit!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts