DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

I need a WAI not a CAI

418 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SK-SXT 
#1 ·
Waking up this morning the thermometer show that it has warmed up to -28C from -33C last night. With the cold air dropping the fuel milage so badly I was wondering if anybody else has thought of making a Warm Air Intake for the Intrepids?

I have thought of trying to create a jacketed replacement air intake tube that is connected to the heater hoses that would heat the air as it enters the plenum. I was hoping that this would allow the fuel milage to go back up some what.

This unit should be easily replaceable for the warmer months or at least be able to turn off the coolent flow.

Any other plausable ideas? :wink:

Car info: 6.5 month old 2002 SXT with 19,000 Km.

#2 ·
I am assuming you are referring to the cold air taking the car longer to warm up and putting it into "closed loop" mode so your A/F ratio is more stochiometric? I have seen this done with trucks. They only cover up the grill on the truck to not allow the air to flow through the radiator as much. This increases the temp of the engine. I would not do anything to the air intake at all.

#4 ·
I noticed today that the OTIS stayed at -32C until we got out on the highway and drove far enough (4 Km) before the torque convertor locked up. Then it was a mad scramble to show the proper temp of -1C.

My guess is that this when the PCM comes out of closed loop and is warm enough to start that part of the programing. Then the PCM passes the proper info to the OTIS or EVIC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.