DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased XP upgrade ($99) for my Win 98se machine. I want to format the C: drive and do a clean install. Can this be done? I have the 98se CD and key.

Help :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
890 Posts
No it cant because you bought the upgrade and not the full version. So the thing is windows 98 has to be installed first then you can upgrade to windows xp.

Do only way to format and start out windows xp is to buy the full version. SOrry :(

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
As far as I know, Intrepid99 is correct. You can do a clean install... it will ask you to insert a windows98 media... then from there it should do the XP install without having to install 98. I don't even think it asks for a 98 key.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's for the info guys. I formated my hard drive before I went to work today. So we will see if it works.

I will let you know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Intrepid99 is correct. This has been a feature of the upgrade versions of all Microsoft Operating Systems since at least Windows 3.x ---> Windows 95. I also seem to remember being able to do this using DOS but that has been many many moons ago.

For detailed steps on just some of the methods to do so, just go here.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I know this is off topic but...

Your avitar looks familiar mlfca, is that the police car from the "Mad Max: Road Warrior" movie? Damn that is one sweet Ford! Of course the Interceptor (1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe) is much better. :)
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/

"Last of the V8s, last of the V8s!!"

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct sir.

I picked up the Ltd. Ed of Mad Max DVD. Great film.

By the way, the supercharger on the Interceptor, FAKE. It never worked.

By the DVD, it has the original sound track from Australia (spelling, f-me).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I tried what the instruction that I got off of the web site CJ recomended and it did not work. I installed a compact version of 98se then XP. What I later discovered is that 98se was put on C: while XP went to my F: drive (I have my drive partitioned)??????

So, the question is, can I move the files from F: to C: and erase 98se? Also, when I boot up it gives me a choice to run xp or 98se. Is that a good or a bad thing?

I also could not get me DSL up. I was on the phone with Earthlink tec support for 90min :eek: Until I finally fixed it by setting up my machine to be on a network, even though I do not have a network :mad:

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
congratulations you have successfully created a dual boot system!! unfortunatly that is not what you wanted to do. rather than copy info from one drive to the other I would Fdisk the entire drive again as one large partition and redo the install being sure to choose the option to "overwrite" the existing partition on FAT file system

dont bother with thte win98 install, fdisk, format and then boot from XP CD, dont run the 98 CD unless prompted

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do I boot from the CD? It always goes for the A: drive first?

Also, what is the diffrence with fdisk and just plain formating each drive, which is what I did?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by mlfca:
How do I boot from the CD? It always goes for the A: drive first?

Also, what is the diffrence with fdisk and just plain formating each drive, which is what I did?
You will probably have to change the boot order in your BIOS setup program in order to get the PC to boot from the CD. When your computer boots, you should see a prompt to press a key to enter setup. Normally it is DEL, F10, F1, or similar. Make sure that you ONLY change the order of the boot sequence and nothing else. When XP has finished installing, change it back.

As for the difference between FDISK and FORMAT, there are many at the technical level. However, to sum it up from the logical level, FDISK prepares the disk to be seen by the operating system by placing partitions on the disk. FDISK also allows you to allocation chunks of the disk to individual partions - your C: and F: drives in this case. It basically says, "Hey Windows! I know how to talk to this disk and I'll put some data on there that will tell you how the user has setup this disk and allow you to access it".

FORMAT, on the other hand, takes a disk that has been partitioned by FDISK and creates the file system. The file system contains place holders to your data (files, folders/directories, etc.) so that the operating system and other software will know where to store/retrieve data to/from. It can't do this without knowing the physical parameters of the disk or how you've partitioned it - hence the need for FDISK.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Listen to Wutang, I got my puter for christmas and I put the XP Professional disk in and clicked clean install, and it did its thing and then it asked me which drive i wanted to install it to, and I selected C: and hit enter and it kept giving me problems... If you've formatted your HD, re-install 98, then do the upgrade to XP, once that is finished you can go into add/remove programs and completely remove 98 (just means you can't uninstall XP) thats what I did.... I ended up with like... 9 of my 10 gig HD ( all the crap I loaded too )

Spyder

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
That method is fine for people who aren't familar with computers and shouldn't be installing their OS themselves anyways...

Uninstall winXP??? How could you use control panel uninstall on any operating system????

Please give advice based on experience, not speculation and rumors, maybe it was giving your problems because you really weren't sure what you were doing?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK can everybody just get along!

Update!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Bootdisk.com and downloaded the the file for the six disks, now were cookin.

I then reformated my hard drive to do a clean install of XP. Well, when I got to the third disk, my pc told me there was an error loading a file, so I'm f-ed :mad: .

So I re-install 98se on my drive F:. 45 minutes later I am ready to do XP. I installed xp on C: 60 minutes later I notice when my pc reboots it does not give me a choice to on which OS to run. This is what I wanted. There are still some files on F: from 98se (and I may just delete them).

So know I have to go throught the f-ed up step of setting up my DSL. Now this should be a very quick step. In my case, after setting up the service I have to put the pc in suspend mode then wake it up for which it tell me to set up the network, (which i do not have). I have to tell XP to use my DSL service as the network in order for it to work :confused: .

So know I'm ready to rock. I first go to update my XP software via microsoft. The site tells me I need 8 updates :eek: .

I download the 11.5 mb file and it installs the updates. After rebooting, my machine is slower, the DSL won't work, and programs are locking up, what the F :mad: :mad: :mad: .

I went to bed. Before I went to work I had to see if I could fix the problem. I found the nifty go back feature and ran it (i did not think it would work with updates to the OS) It worked. So know I have to figure out which one out of the 8 updates f-ed my system up.

By the way, thanks everybody for your help on this one. I will let you know how things go.

Later.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts