DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 3.5 HO and I need to change the head gaskets or so I was told. Someone told me it was the hydrolic jack or something pushing the water back into the resivore tank. I don't have any oil in my water but it still over heats. I have already changed the radiator cap. And I also pulled the top hose(it was still connected to the radiator) and ran water through it and it came out the top of the block and I really need to fix my car asap help please!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Head gaskets failure on these motors is almost unheard of. You need to do a compression test to know for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is +110,000 miles on it but the the car dosen't leak water from the water pump.
Ok and the compression test I never done before but i will check it.
And this guy told me if the water was comming from the top of the block where its suppose to come out it meant the water was circulating correctly.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Are you losing coolant? Is there a diagnostic reason you did this test? Clue me in to what this was supposed to prove.

I'm thinking you might want to get back to basics and start checking the cooling system with a pump type cooling system pressure tool. Put the engine hoses back on and pressurize the system at the radiator cap and check for leaks.

While you're at it, you might want to make sure the cooling fans are working properly. You can do that by starting it up and just waiting for the electric fans to cycle on and off. Or, turn on the A/C and speed up the test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im only losing water from the resivore tank. Not on the top of the motor and every time i purge my system there is alot of air in the system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you losing coolant? Is there a diagnostic reason you did this test? Clue me in to what this was supposed to prove.

I'm thinking you might want to get back to basics and start checking the cooling system with a pump type cooling system pressure tool. Put the engine hoses back on and pressurize the system at the radiator cap and check for leaks.

While you're at it, you might want to make sure the cooling fans are working properly. You can do that by starting it up and just waiting for the electric fans to cycle on and off. Or, turn on the A/C and speed up the test.
I only lose coolant when it goes back into the resivore tank and is shooting out the hole. other than that it dosent leak. i can drive it like 15 20 minutes and as soon as i turn the car off it starts to overheat.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Perhaps you only need a new overflow tank cap? Sounds like it's not holding pressure properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps you only need a new overflow tank cap? Sounds like it's not holding pressure properly.
I already changed that lol. I was told that the gasket is blown and air is being forced in the motor causing it to heat the water faster which is why its over heating.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
Im only losing water from the resivore tank. Not on the top of the motor and every time i purge my system there is alot of air in the system.
check the tank real close for a crack,, there plastic,, and tend to crack where it shows how full it is

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I already changed that lol. I was told that the gasket is blown and air is being forced in the motor causing it to heat the water faster which is why its over heating.
Whoops - forgot you mentioned that in the first post.

Well a compression test will be a good indicator of a possible head gasket leak.

How's the oil look? Any milkiness at all?

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
ok,, pressure test time,,,,, and get a block test done

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Mine does the same, except when running the AC. I will be following this.
Sounds to me like you have a cooling fan problem, like your coolant temp sensor isn't functioning right.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts