DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could do it, but I'm at a distance where it's not feasible for a weekend run.

The guys over at ASOG found a company in Ames, IA that does turbo work on cars. They're having a small issue with getting of their members to get their Avenger up to the shop to have the take measurements, but I'm almost wondering if we could get in contact with these guys to see if we could get them interested in the 3.3 or 3.5. I'm thinking 3.3 right now because we have helluva lot more engine bay room, plus pimped3point has a 3.3 and I think the other guy who lives in Iowa does too.

Or, in April I'll be in Jones county for a few days, maybe I could run 'er up there.
http://www.xtecheng.com/index.htm

Hit me back, fellas.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: ATFCharger ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Whats this place called? I live about an hour away from Ames. And i wonder what it would cost me to let them use my car as a guinnea pig for the turbo...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
no offense to 3.3 drivers but a turbo 3.3 might bring it up to the hp of a 1st gen 3.5 :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
duh. :rolleyes:

And Felix, if you want to become a test subject, get on the phone with them and get the ball rolling.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
15psi of intercooled boost has the potential of doubling an engine's power output, so we are looking at 322hp in a 1G 3.3L.

Of course this isn't just done by slapping on a turbo. You have to consider exhaust, engine internals, air flow pathways, etc.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nods, I emailed them already, if they don't email me back in a day or two I'm planning on calling them, and even if it would put us up to a 3.5 (but if LHSer is right about the HP, I'm DEF going to get it) lots of people will be like har I can smoke this base trep, then you bust out and are gone and there like WTF?!?

Spyder

·
Registered
424 Posts
Got some emails in return already, psi wasn't 15 not even close, this is what he said " The psi we’ll be shipping at is 6 pounds, this is adjustable with a boost controller." don't know if that means you can go higher or lower and he said "We probably won’t need a guinea pig, but if we do I’ll let you know. It depends on how the pictures look (space wise)." How much HP could 6 psi give ( i know nothing about this stuff ) would it even be worth 3g?

Spyder

·
Registered
560 Posts
i believe it is high time to break a hole into the pontiac GTP dominated territory...Godspeed, you crazy midwesterners...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pictures should be all they need. We've got enough space in the 3.3 compartment to fit a turbo plus plumbing. They'll do fine.

This'd be really cool if they could do this for us. That'd be a riot!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you think our transmissions could handle that kind of power? I was always curious.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Well 6psi is almost 1/2bar, or half the atmospheric pressure at sea level. All things being equal, this has the potential of a 40-50% power gain, meaning this would bring a 161hp 3.3L to 225-242hp. Definatley an improvement.

With a boost control you can adjust the amount of boost the turbo spins to. I'd say they would allow you to go to 10psi or so, giving about 3/4 atmospheric so potentially a 75% gain or about 282hp from the 161hp 3.3L.

Of course with better intercooling (are they even going to do intercooling?) plumping, internals, airflow pathways etc you can really crank up the boost. :)

Jeez...someone should take a 3.5 down there.

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
i'll take my 3.5... I live in ohio(not tooo far away) :p

·
Registered
587 Posts
You could technically run the turbo at 40PSI like an Indy car does. (With TONS of mods) BUT, it would be useless AND would destroy your engine if you could not re-work the ECU/PCM to provide proper timing and fuel delivery. Can they do this? If not, you would have to find a company like AEM (www.aempower.com) to create a program in a universal, user-programmible ECU that you could mod yourself to accept a turbo. Go to the site and look at the programmible ECU's. Very interesting, but not sure if they have a program for our cars. Maybe they could make one? THEN, and ONLY THEN could you add a turbo to our cars and get it to work probably.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm good for it if it don't take too long :p
Iowa isn't too far away. :p.... wait.. looks to be inthe middle of the state... hmm
maybe they can take pictures.

Man.. turbo would rock..... :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts