DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, this last week or so, I have been noticing a very very high pitched spinning noise comming from the engine I suppose that is directly simotaneous with the RPM's it sounds just like a dentist drill but very faint but noticable. It usually does it more when I first get moving, I think it begins to fade out as I have been moving for a while... not sure, maybe I get used to hearing it, not sure. Anyways, anyone know what this might be or experienced this as well?

-Dan :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket stereo and amplifier in your car? I guess i'm wondering if the humming sound is coming from your speakers.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
when was the last time you had your water pup/timing belt/tensioner pulley replaced? those make noises like that sometimes.

Could also be the Alternator bearings. If it were a GM car, I would bet my life on the alternator, but, it is dodge, so I can't do that. :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
My trep started doing the same thing awhile back. However, it wasn't totally random. I had changed the tranny fluid and when I took it out it was making that high pitch noise early in 1st gear. It's still doing it a year later and nothing has broken yet, so I just like to pretend it's a turbo compressing or something of that nature. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, it sounds kinda neat hehehe, my girlfriend's brother was like "I didn't know this car was turbocharged" :D but I just want to make sure it's nothing real serious...

·
Registered
4 Posts
had the same problem with my car for a while. The sound was there up until 3000RPM, and then would quite. It was the water pump it self, had the pump replaced, and the sound was gone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, it never used to make this sound, and I just recently got a new water pump, maybe it is the pump, but it probably isn't hurting anything..... hopefully.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
don't let the water pump go on the road. it can blow the head gasget.

My thoughts are Alternator too. Bearings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had a faulty water pump before, drained all my coolant and overheated me a number of times, but I got that fixed. so I shouldn't have to worry about it going out on me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Coulda' got a bad "new" pump, it does happen! Go back to whoever did it and ell them about it, it should be covered under whatever warranty they gave you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts