DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been killing me lately. I just had the rear brakes and alignment done, 250 bucks out of my pocket. I just did the front brakes last week, and now they have started to squeak again! The power steering pump I replaced on 6/1/06 is leaking and advance auto is giving me hell about the warranty. The car needs new tires, the transmission is acting weird, the AC isn't blowing ice cold anymore, it's getting poor MPG, and the whole thing is just robbing me blind. I'm not going to make it to Carlisle this year, as I need money to fix the damn dodge. I really need a beer, 6 of them at least. Can't afford the stuff because something else will break on the car that I'll have to dump money in to fix. this car is going to be the death of me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Matt86 said:
My car has been killing me lately. I just had the rear brakes and alignment done, 250 bucks out of my pocket. I just did the front brakes last week, and now they have started to squeak again! The power steering pump I replaced on 6/1/06 is leaking and advance auto is giving me hell about the warranty. The car needs new tires, the transmission is acting weird, the AC isn't blowing ice cold anymore, it's getting poor MPG, and the whole thing is just robbing me blind. I'm not going to make it to Carlisle this year, as I need money to fix the damn dodge. I really need a beer, 6 of them at least. Can't afford the stuff because something else will break on the car that I'll have to dump money in to fix. this car is going to be the death of me.
If the front brakes are squeaking obviously it's not due to their being worn, so I would say that the pads needed a coat of disc-brake-quiet sprayed on the backs and didn't get it. Not hard or time consuming to fix this but still a minor chore. I've done front brakes on my 1st gen including putting brand new rotors on it and the total cost was way under $100 - new rotors @ $25 each and a mid-grade set of pads for $30-$35 at Autozone. Rear brakes shouldn't cost that much even. I called my local Goodyear store, a reputable place, and they will do an alignment on my 2nd Gen for $79.95 including a four wheel alignment if that is needed, cheaper if it's not. I'm going to get that done on Monday.

The prices you're paying are more than I would expect. Are you doing the work or having it done?

Tires are gonna wear out anyhow, but I sympathize with you on the A/C and transmission issues. Take 'em one at a time and don't throw part$ at anything trying to fix it. You can save enough money if you buy the tires right, to fix the A/C or the brakes at least.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Indiana Intrep said:
If the front brakes are squeaking obviously it's not due to their being worn, so I would say that the pads needed a coat of disc-brake-quiet sprayed on the backs and didn't get it.
If the brake pads already have a shim/insulator/gasket, than the Disc Brake Quiet is a big no-no. If the pads didn't have a shim/insulator/gasket, than the Disc Brake Quiet is a big yes-yes.

btw...Using Disc Brake Quiet on pads that do have a shim/insulator/gasket can actually cause noise. That is because the shim will pull away from the brake pad and now you have a piece of metal that can act like a tuning fork.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't use any shims on the pads. I used some disc brake lube (comes in the little packets), there is a spray I should use?

Any further repairs are on hold aside from the brakes and PS pump, as if the transmission problem is serious (as in a rebuild) I'll trade it in for something a lot newer. I just don't care for the car as much as I did when I got it.

Pardon my french, but **** advance auto parts. They've been giving me hell about the power steering pump. I have to remove it, remove the pulley (with a puller I need to rent from them) and take it in to get a new one. I'm going to change the damn thing in their parking lot as that seems to be the only place where I can do it. Thankfully it's not too much of a ***** but still pisses me off.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I'd lilke to be able to tell you it'll get better, but older cars need time, attention and money.
Things wear out man, I wish they didn't but they do.
The picture you paint kinda leads me to believe she's in her downhill slide. Older cars always seem to reach a point where hey need something new every week.

But, brakes alignment, tires, ac servicing, etc are more like maintenance items. It still sucks that they drain your bank account though.
Tranny and such, well that's potentially big bucks. I know some people have had good luck with a simple fluid and filter change in these trans. How many miles on the current trans fluid?

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great White said:
I'd lilke to be able to tell you it'll get better, but older cars need time, attention and money.
Things wear out man, I wish they didn't but they do.
The picture you paint kinda leads me to believe she's in her downhill slide. Older cars always seem to reach a point where hey need something new every week.

But, brakes alignment, tires, ac servicing, etc are more like maintenance items. It still sucks that they drain your bank account though.
Tranny and such, well that's potentially big bucks. I know some people have had good luck with a simple fluid and filter change in these trans. How many miles on the current trans fluid?

Cheers

BJ
I've owned older cars before, infact this is the newest car I've owned. I can smell a lemon, and this one is a lemon. My 1994 Intrepid didn't need a single item the whole time I had it except a waterpump. The current intrepid I have has needed a water pump and almost everything else.

The trans fluid has about 8K on it, ATF+4. I was told it's either the torque converter or internal seals going out. Either way, big bucks for a PITA car. Not worth it to me. I dumped almost a grand in repairs in to the car already. If I have to spend $2,000+ on a trans, the Intrepid gets traded in.

The fuel guage also dosn't work right once it hits the 1/4 tank level.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Matt86 said:
I didn't use any shims on the pads. I used some disc brake lube (comes in the little packets), there is a spray I should use?

Any further repairs are on hold aside from the brakes and PS pump, as if the transmission problem is serious (as in a rebuild) I'll trade it in for something a lot newer. I just don't care for the car as much as I did when I got it.

Pardon my french, but **** advance auto parts. They've been giving me hell about the power steering pump. I have to remove it, remove the pulley (with a puller I need to rent from them) and take it in to get a new one. I'm going to change the damn thing in their parking lot as that seems to be the only place where I can do it. Thankfully it's not too much of a ***** but still pisses me off.
I have found that the gel type stuff in the little packets is useless. Buy the stuff that comes in an aerosol can. I've used this type made by both Permatex and also by Solder seal. The stuff smells and looks like paint (a real pretty deep metalic blue). Spray 3 heavy coats on the back of each pad , letting it get tacky between coats, then assemble while still tacky.

Reactions: Matt86

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Unless you got a really, really cheap set of brake pads, chances are there was shims on it. Of course if you got a really, really cheap set of brake pads, that may be the cause of your noise right there.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, and I know some people think a "shim" is something else, here is a pic --> http://www.brianchase.us/misc/pads_D730CT.jpg

That black piece of metal/rubber between the backing plate and the piston clip with the Bendix logo on it, that is a shim.

Again, if your pads have a shim, do NOT use the Permatex Disc Brake Quiet or similar product.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Your brakes could be dust squeal...you know..if your mechanically minded, you could invest in $100 of tools, then do it yourself for cheap. A transgo shift kit comes with all the internal seals needed for $19 and after that all you need is black RTV form a gasket to seal the transmission pan back up and there are a lot of how-to's here that help.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought Morse Ceramic brake pads, I'm not 100% sure if they have shims on them, but I could check.

If they have shims, I shouldn't lube them. but if they don't I should lube them with one of the above chemicals.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
I'm mored bummed about you not comming to carlisle.. you were one of the few I was lookin forward to meeting..

I still say throw a junkyard transmission in it.. I've got one in my trep and its been perfect.. my buddy has one in his trep too.. 70$ and a couple hours of work is worth it in my opinion.. plus we know exactly what has to be done and get faster every time..

oh and just about ever 1g i know of has gas guage problems.. the sending unit they put in the cars sucks..

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Matt86 said:
I bought Morse Ceramic brake pads, I'm not 100% sure if they have shims on them, but I could check.

If they have shims, I shouldn't lube them. but if they don't I should lube them with one of the above chemicals.

I would think the Morse pads would have a shim. But I can't say for sure.

The Permatex Disc Brake Quiet is NOT a lubricant. It's basically a liquid shim. By all means, lube things up. It's a good idea to put some lube on any point where the pads contact metal (except for the friction surface). I also put some lube on the hub where the rotor contacts the hub.

If the Morse pads didn't come with shims attached, than use the Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the pads. But it's still a good idea to lube things (except for where you used the Disc Brake Quiet).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spent all day with the car, A bit of good news, and some expensive news.

I changed the PS pump this morning. Advance wasn't a ***** about it like the dumbass over the phone was. He actually gave me the new pump and puller-free of charge. I changed it, and brought the old one back with the puller. No leaks and this one is even quieter. This one was made by Cardone, the one before was some generic brand with a picture of a 1980's Dodge Daytona on it.

I didn't see any brake lube at advance, they only had the packets of stuff (which I used,and obviously dosnt work) and a bottle of orange disc brake quiet.

I stopped by Discount Tire and Big Ten tires. I can get a set of super cheapass tires for about $230.00.

Then, I wanted to get the trans issue checked out. I swong by a local trans shop, the guy hooked his scanner up to it, drove it around, and found nothing majorly wrong, except normal trans ware.

The fuel sending unit is a pile of crap, and I have to buy a whole new pump assembly instead of the sending unit. I'll see if I can find a farily new unit at the junkyard, if not I'll have to buy a new one for about $175.00

It's just been rough the last couple of days, and my car being a PITA didn't help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ach, you can't trade in your car, you painted your valve covers! That was the first mod I ever did on mine, before I even joined this site. I'd feel like a looser or something if you weren't around...

Look on the bright side, you don't have a bearing knock and it still turns on, right?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can I get rid of a car this nice:

Granted, it's put me in a lot of greif, cost me a lot of money and pain, I lost a lot of blood on the car, but I love it.

It's the only Intrepid LE in existance:

It also leaves nice spots/marks its territory:

Any ideas on how to get those spots out? I sprayed some brake cleaner on them, I'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up a can of CRC disc brake quiet spray in a can. I'll tear apart the brakes on my next day off.

I also got a new AC belt and PCV valve, the current parts, both are original to my car, circa 1995

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just took the pads off, and they have shims like the one in Warlords picture

Is it safe to use the CRC disc brake quiet spray on them? Or should I just use Ultra disc brake lube?

·
Registered
851 Posts
sorry to here about yer' issues. sound like my bro in his 93 gtp. in the last month hes replaced some broken struts, the back brakes were replaced as they were shot, 4 kinda new tires, the timing belt broke (fortunately the 3.4 twin dual cam is a clearance engine apparently), alternator, and he put on pick a part fender, hood, and cat back off another gtp in better shape...so its not just dodge cars that have issues. god knows ive had my share of gm crap too.

as long as you like your car and your enjoy working on cars, this will all be a bad distant memory some day...

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
buffalo r/t said:
sorry to here about yer' issues. sound like my bro in his 93 gtp. in the last month hes replaced some broken struts, the back brakes were replaced as they were shot, 4 kinda new tires, the timing belt broke (fortunately the 3.4 twin dual cam is a clearance engine apparently), alternator, and he put on pick a part fender, hood, and cat back off another gtp in better shape...so its not just dodge cars that have issues. god knows ive had my share of gm crap too.

as long as you like your car and your enjoy working on cars, this will all be a bad distant memory some day...
That's quite a grocery list.
It does illustrate a point about older vehicles though, most of these are maintenance items. These items all have a life cycle and are expected to wear out before the vehicle becomes totally unuseable.
It's just all part of keeping an aging warhorse in the battle.
Well, fender and hood, not really maintenance, sounds like rust out perhaps?

Cheers

BJ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts