DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I do a pretty hard acceleration, as in holding the pedal down completely for a few seconds, there is a smell (I'm assuming it's coming from the air vents) of burning oil. Maybe it's not burning oil, maybe it's something else, I have no idea.

Is this normal? Or could this be a precursor to a much bigger problem? If it's a big problem, what should I do?

Anyway, it's been months since I've been here and I almost got lost in the new layout. I could not find the 2nd gen forums, so I'm posting it here in General.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
First off, what engine do you have?

Mine does this and its a 2.7. I am assuming its the exhaust valve seals.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
im pretty sure thats normal. Ive done that numerous times with rental vehicles and they always smell like burnt oil.

hers a tip, MOST ENGINES ARENT MADE TO REACH REDLINE* (frequently).

I did that with a new 300c and it was in the high 5000rpm region and it smelled like oil inside the car seconds after it shifted. My intrepid did the same thing when in autostick mode and left to shift at redline. Ive stopped doing that with my car as its getting on its age and i dont feel like breaking a timing belt or worse.

Its probably oil getting by the rings and burning up with the gasoline (best guess).

Id suggest you dont do it too often with an old car (3.2L is at least a 2001).

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
"hey doc, it hurts when I go like this. DOC: well, don't go like that then"

:p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I don't do this often, I treat her like my little baby (or I try). It was just something I noticed that I wanted clarified and not have to worry about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts