DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 Intrepid in perfect shape with 65 Km on the clock, I got it for a great price, and the story should have a happy ending, however and after all the dust settled I found out that the 2.7 engine has a design problem that causes it the seize with no warning. How bad is this problem and what can be done to prevent this?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Proper maintenance is all. Theres quite a few members here with the 2.7L engine, and they are still going strong.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I just purchased a 2002 Intrepid in perfect shape with 65 Km on the clock, I got it for a great price, and the story should have a happy ending, however and after all the dust settled I found out that the 2.7 engine has a design problem that causes it the seize with no warning. How bad is this problem and what can be done to prevent this?
Like neuroticdave said proper maintenance is all you can really do to pervent it.

There are alot of members who get a 3.3 or 3.5 or 3.5HO engine installed in their 2.7 treps when the engine does give. Also a big chunck of them put the ES front on as well so it has the factory foglights.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Regular oil and filter changes are the 2.7 engine's best friend. The 2.7 is a great engine, but it runs hot, and it is hard on the oil. Conventional oil should be changed every 3,000 miles. Synthetic oil, there are some folks here running it longer than 3,000 miles, with test results to justify it.

What happens is that the oil begins to form sludge when it is not changed often enough. This can clog the oil passages in the motor, and some of them are very small and easily clogged.

How to tell if you 2.7 is ok, or heading for trouble: inspect the area under the valve covers. If you see clumps of tar-like material everywhere, your engine has been abused in the past. If you see the components clearly, with a maybe a thin film of varnish, your engine has been well maintained and may go several hundred-thousands of miles.

The other thing to check is the condition of the oil in the engine. Pull the dipstick and look at the oil on it: if it is black and you can not see through it at all, get an oil change as soon as you can, that oil is too old. Even with conventional oil, at 3,000 miles, it should not be black. It should be somewhat dark, but you should be able to easily see through it.

The 2.7 water pump sometimes fails, letting coolant into the oil pan. It is a good idea to check the oil weekly. If your oil was clear and ok one week, and the next week it is solid black, and you notice the coolant level is somewhat lower when the car is cold, you have a slight leak from the water pump into the oil pan. If the oil is ever milky and whitish-looking, then you have a major leak of coolant into the oil pan.

Change the oil as soon as possible, check it every day until you get the water pump fixed. Coolant destroys oil faster than anything else.

For what it's worth, I had two 2.7-equipped Intrepids. I used conventional oil and had it changed the oil every 3K miles, and I put 230,000 miles on both of those cars and never had any problems with them. I di not even know the 2.7 had a bad reputation because my results with them had been so good.

Jim Snover

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That good to hear

after I read a few acticles on the net I had the feeling I walked in front of a truck.

search "dodge chrysler engine problem" .com ( I can't post urls yet)

The car came with all the bills for oil changes at the same dealership I purchased it from, should I change to synthetic? and how often should I change it, I have heard that oil gets dirty at the same intervals if its normal or synthetic

·
Registered
723 Posts
I heard there was a design mod. on these as well.
Even still, proper maint. has no subtitute.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a quote from the net about design changes

From 1998-2004 Dodge / Chrysler 2.7L Engines are prone to Oil Sludge often caused by internal coolant leakage that has to do with the design of the Water Pump that allows coolant to enter the Engine over time and cause oil sludge, experts at a well known remanufacturing company say. The second common cause of engine sludge is from poor oil circulation caused by oil passages that are too narrow causing the oil to wear down more rapidly unlike normal engines. Another contributing oil sludge factor is possibly due to an inadequately designed PCV system that can also accelerate engine oil breakdown, which Chrysler later made improvements to for the 2005 model year along with other changes knowledgeable sources state. Although Chrysler is aware and there is nothing consumers could have done to cause this, Chrysler still regularly blames consumers for 2.7L Engine Oil Sludge.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I'd have no problems with buying another 2.7 The one I had was onbe of the best cars I ever owned, over 170,000 miles on it when I traded it, and the only reason I did that was because of the trade-in value vs what I owed, so bought 2-ESs with 3.5

·
Registered
234 Posts
Like neuroticdave said proper maintenance is all you can really do to pervent it.

There are alot of members who get a 3.3 or 3.5 or 3.5HO engine installed in their 2.7 treps when the engine does give. Also a big chunck of them put the ES front on as well so it has the factory foglights.

3.2/5 no 3.3's.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
use synthetic OIL !!!!

Any car will last forever with proper maintenance which singles out the treps that are still alive today and those that died 3 years after driving off the assembly line.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
There was a slight internal 2.7L redesign in 2001.........which should help protect against the infamous sludge problem. Just keep up on your maintenance and you should be fine!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There was a slight internal 2.7L redesign in 2001.........which should help protect against the infamous sludge problem. Just keep up on your maintenance and you should be fine!
so that would be for the 02 model right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a '99 2.7L Intrepid and we are @ 153,000 miles. I am losing a little oil somewhere (need to find ASAP) and have not had many "major" probs. Some big probs i've had are speed sensor, water outlet, a/c fan motor. Other than that, it is a good car. I might trade up to an '04 just because i like the intrepid. Just remember to take car of your car, doing the small pm's can help your car make it past 150,000!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts