DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading about all of the technical service bulletins on the 2nd generation Intrepids. I was under the impression that these cars were much better quality than the first Intrepid, Ive always kinda wanted one, but if its no better than the first ones, forget it, Ill buy something else, I dont want to have to worry everytime I travel somewhere. I worry about the transmission in the one I have now all the time, I dont want to have to worry about things like that when I buy my next car. just thought Id share. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Getting up to 37,000 miles on mine...no problems yet. (Except the tires, but those are Goodyear's fault...they just plain out sucked.)

But, if you aren't in the market just yet, maybe you'll want to wait a couple years and see what the 3rd gens have that will make you want to get one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
96Intrepid, The Intrepid was just ranked tghe highest quality for a north american manufacturer, so you would be hard pressed to find a better car.

higher than VW, GM, Ford

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, My 96 Intrepid has beeen A good car, but Ive got a problem now that no one seems to know what to do about it so Im thinking of getting rid of the car because it is VERY anoying! I ve wrote about this before on here, about the jerking motion that happens with this car, sometimes its quite bad, especially when its cold, it sorta like your in a straight drive car! No codes show up and I dont know what it is, so It may be going bye, bye. Im not loyal enough to put up with such annoyances!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
my 98 just rolled over 97k(yeah, i know... thats one big number I'm not proud of...) this weekend on a road trip to Missouri and it still feels brand new. Well, not exactly brand new because it doesn't have that new car smell anymore, but it is still really solid and I've had no problems at all with it. I even managed to still get 30.6 MPG average over the trip, with a high of 33.7MPG on a tank of gas. Not too bad for 75-80mph the whole way.

~JGarrett98

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by 96Intrepid:
Well, My 96 Intrepid has beeen A good car, but Ive got a problem now that no one seems to know what to do about it so Im thinking of getting rid of the car because it is VERY anoying! I ve wrote about this before on here, about the jerking motion that happens with this car, sometimes its quite bad, especially when its cold, it sorta like your in a straight drive car! No codes show up and I dont know what it is, so It may be going bye, bye. Im not loyal enough to put up with such annoyances!
I'm not a car expert, but here's a few things you might want to check...

-wheel alignment
-tyrods (spelling?)
-rims (are they deformed)
-tires

Just throwing things out there in hopes it might jog someone else's memory.

·
Registered
436 Posts
96Intrepid,
Give more details. Does it happen only when the car is cold or when the weather is cold? Does the car ever do it when the car is to temp? Do your RPMs go up and down or does just the car hesitate? Does it do it at all speed ranges or only when your first accelerating from an idle, some things to consider:

1. After the sun is completely down, turn your car on, spray mists of water all over your spark plug wires. If you see any arcing, replace your wires (you should anyways around 100,000 miles).

2. Are there any obstructions in your intake box.

3. When was your fuel filter last replaced?

4. Does the car hold fuel pressure (fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump)?

5. If you have the 3.5 DID YOU EVER HAVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET REPLACED? This is very very very common in the 3.5's. I beleive you can pick up this problem with a vaccum gage. When I had this problem I would notice it big time accelerating from an idle, the car would hesitate, then kick in. It would do this a couple times before the car started moving. Hope this helps!

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Mopar4U ]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It happens when it's cold, when its hot and mostly when Im just starting from a standstill, but it will however do it while im going down the road. Its almost like theres too much play between the trans and engine, when I let off the gas sometimes It will have sort of a rocking motion. It doesnt seem to be the engine either, Ive replaced the sparks plugs, wires and fuel filter and even had the trans fluid and filter changed and still the same thing, sometimes I can drive it all day and it will do fine and others its really bad. I give up.... :(

·
Registered
890 Posts
this is for 96Intrepid i just wanted to say i think know what youre problem is it can be youre motor mounts it happend to my 94 intrepid es so give that a shot or just email me

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice Wutang, Ill check into all of the things everybody has mentioned, And I do appreciate the advice!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
What about the transmission fluid/filter? Did you have a Mopar filter and Chyrysler 7176 fluid put in??

If I'm not mistaken, most of the tranny problems people have had with the 1st-gen LH's were related to not using the right type of fluid. You CANNOT use anything other than Chrysler 7176 (ATF3+, I believe).

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK, I'll throw in. It sounds to me like your problem is transmission-related, and probably internal (vice electrical since it throws no codes). Most likely it has something to do with your torque converter. It sounds like the torque converter clutch doesn't engage/disengage properly. Simply put, the TCC couples the engine directly to the transmission when it is engaged. During starts and shifts, it is supposed to be disengaged to allow the torque converter to "slip" and do its job. While maintaining steady speed, though, it's supposed to be engaged, thus giving you the best gas mileage, etc. (the term engaged is also refered to as TCC lockup)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a 96 Intrepid with the 3.5 that is also "stuttering" at idle. The whole car shakes. I can definately rule out motor mounts. Seems to be tranny related but I cannot solve the problem. Somedays are worse than others. In park and N, it's a whole lot worse. Seems to dissappear on hard acceleration, course who can tell at that speed? :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts