DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Would you want, or want to make, a 2 door Intrepid?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm procrastinating for a test I have today in 2 hours, and I figured I'd make this. It was done with a Charger, and I've seen a couple brief discussions around the forums of it, but what does everyone think? Would it be worth it?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it would look very nice. Don't they do that for the NASCAR Intrepids? Or Didn't they, I mean. lol

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Unless you own a body shop you are going to die at the amount of money it would cost to do that

Just for starters you would have to reinforce the frame to allow you to move the move the pillars back that far, then you need to worry about reforming the door skins and having custom glass made on top on the interior work needed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
dude, its called an avenger! If u even begin to think about the $ it would take to do this mod, u would throw up! I would be willing to say it would take $5000 to $7500 easily in bodywork and paint to do this mod! Just dream, man! I think it would be awesome to see it done but to pay for it on my normal man's salary, forgettaboutit!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's definitely on my list of things to do in my lifetime, obviously when I'm still in school and don't have so much as a garage is not the time. But later on, we'll see. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done if/when I ever accomplish it.

Save some money and just buy a avenger!!
I think you meant a 2001-2005 Stratus Coupe. The old avenger looks a LOT less like an Intrepid than the Stratus does.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
.... ( other than the K car of course )

You can't be serious............

The kcar was a blantant piece of crap and was unleashed on the public knowing full well it was a disposable car. About a 5 year lifespan. IF you got a good one...............

Iaccoca pumped 'em out cheap to get chrysler solvent again. It saved chrysler and clogged the scrap yards for years.........

.......I think you meant a 2001-2005 Stratus Coupe. The old avenger looks a LOT less like an Intrepid than the Stratus does.
Which is actually a restyled Mitsubishi Eclipse............

Sounds like a project for Unique Autosports.. I watch them transform a Range Rover to a two door. Yes, a lot of work.
That sir, is a horse of an entirely different color. Hacking up a unibody and hacking up a ladder frame vehicle are two different things.
You can't just cut a unibody in half, take a chunk out, and stitch it back together. There's so many things wrong with that structurally I don't know where to begin. Look at it this way:
If you were to take two identical cars, one hit in front, one in back, cut both in half and weld them together, most DMV's won't certify them for the road.
Think a severly modified unibody has a chance?
Doubtfull................

Unique autosports?

Ummm..........all i've ever seen them do is paint things, reupholster stuff, stick a bunch of stereo and lcd stuff in, and change rims.
Anything really serious, they seem to farm out to real professionals. Just what I've observed on the show.......maybe there's more to them.
But it doesn't come across that way on the show.........

It's definitely on my list of things to do in my lifetime, obviously when I'm still in school and don't have so much as a garage is not the time. But later on, we'll see. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done if/when I ever accomplish it.
Everyones's gotta have dreams I guess.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But check the above coments on legality and whatnot.
Not to sound like the "old guy", but you probably will have more important things on your mind once you get out of school and get enough cash behind you to buy a house, let alone a garage. Never mind paying back school loans.

And just wait until you throw a wife into the mix...........

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Touche. I knew they were almost entirely built by Mitsubishi parts, but I never really associated the two.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyones's gotta have dreams I guess.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But check the above coments on legality and whatnot.
Not to sound like the "old guy", but you probably will have more important things on your mind once you get out of school and get enough cash behind you to buy a house, let alone a garage. Never mind paying back school loans.

And just wait until you throw a wife into the mix...........
That's all very true. I guess I just figure that if it's possible for people to do to a unibody Charger, it must be possible for me to do to a unibody intrepid.

Whether I'll ever be able to afford it... I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
That's all very true. I guess I just figure that if it's possible for people to do to a unibody Charger, it must be possible for me to do to a unibody intrepid.

Whether I'll ever be able to afford it... I guess we'll see.
Whoa............

That gentlemen obiovously has a higher skill level and fatter wallet than your average backyard hack...........

I didn't say it wasn't possible, it just might not be road legal.

The main thing is the structural rigidity of the car. The ability to resist lateral and longitudinal loading as well as impact survivability of the occupants. The original unibody is designed in a very specific way, buy a team of very educated people to deal with these stress. Cut it up and you just can't be sure what you'll end up with.............

Cheers

·
Registered
217 Posts
No need to chop the body cause no need to change the Wheel base , just reinforce the body, replace the pillar 1 foot behind remove teh back door and add 1 foot to the front door etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts