DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will do it tomorrow, but I am still not 100% sure the best way to get the use of it.. could someone help me on this, I did read up about it but would like to hear your guys thoughts as well!

Btw it's a 2001 red Intrepid ES with 2.7L HO(yeah i know [email protected] HO, but 2 extra HP and 3TQ is just insannnne numbers would'nt you say? *sigh* :() but anyway, I digress, back on topic!

I get the impression it's a good thing for passing, and also if you're in traffic and you're advancing only a tiny bit continuous.. you put it in 1st gear?

I've been a bit scared of using the Autostick in fear of messing up the transmission.. is this a rational thought or is there nothing to worry about?

I've put it in autostick once or twice by accident and it sounded pretty cool. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
From what I have read, you only will damage the tranny if you are CONSTANTLY shifting for no reason as this will cause excessive heat. It also said that if you heat it up enough, then all shifts will be ignored until it cools down a bit.

There are a few fail-safes built into the Autostick system also. Like if you forget its in Autostick mode, it will shift automaticly when you are close to redline. Also, it won't let you throw it into 1st gear when you are going 70 mph down the freeway. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are totally fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have read, you only will damage the tranny if you are CONSTANTLY shifting for no reason as this will cause excessive heat. It also said that if you heat it up enough, then all shifts will be ignored until it cools down a bit.

There are a few fail-safes built into the Autostick system also. Like if you forget its in Autostick mode, it will shift automaticly when you are close to redline. Also, it won't let you throw it into 1st gear when you are going 70 mph down the freeway. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are totally fine.
Sounds good!!

:)

Thx for the info man.. great news.. quick question..

What is the range in kilometers per hour that you're supposed to be in 1st, 2nd,3rd,4th gear in these cars? Or maybe thats a stupid question and I should just feel it out and I'll see..

Btw when you shift, you take your foot off the gas?

·
Registered
242 Posts
No, actually keep your foot in the current position for a smoother shift. For a hard shift let up and hammer it back down as you select the next gear (gotta time it right) that isn't very good for this type of car, but if you are driving a muscle car with auto tranny and a shift kit than it can be fun.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
psst,
totally off topic but any driving tips for Montreal?
I'm coming up there for work on sunday morning!
Driving tips ? Sometimes the Green panels or whatever they are...to tell u which exit you should take to go somewhere are at the last moment and you might not have the time to take the exit. Take it easy don't drive too fast there's a lot of dumb drivers around.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
They say " If you can drive in Montreal and Toronto, you can drive anywhere! " . Personally, I think Montreal is worse than T.O. I don't know if it's because everything is in french, or it's all the one-way streets and hills.

·
Registered
344 Posts
MegaTrep is right there is protection built into the computer that will keep you from damaging the transmission. Once you start to play with it you will see there is nothing to fear and it is plain common sense and like you said, you will feel it out. The engine noise and feel will tell you when to shift for around town driving and after you get used to it you can have some fun with it. The 2.7 ES I owned actually moved out surprising well so get out there and start shifting.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Can you shift down with autostick? Ive found myself driving on the highway before and Im in 3rd gear, then traffic slows to a crawl and I dont shift down because I couldve sworn I read before its bad to shift it down. Maybe Im just going nuts? :banghead:

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I use autostick for almost a week or so and then got tired of it lol every once in a while I will throw it into autostick. When just driving regular I shift at about 3k or so. You will learn to know when to downshift if you are in 4th and slowing down. If you dont do it the car will do it for you. If you are using autostick and are just getting on an interstate or freeway just keep it in whatever gear and let it redline it will automaticly shift this is how you use all the gears to the fullest. If you want to race someone or whatever the case maybe and your on an open road already doing 65+ then shift down into 2nd to get it into the power band, and then let it go from there. It will automatically shift at redline. It gives you a nice little boost. If you are racing from dead stop just let the car shift itself in the autostick mode

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay guys, I finally did it, just a little short ride..

A few VERY important questions..

1. Whats the rule for stopping? Lets say im in 2nd gear, and im coming to a stop.. or even 3rd gear, and im coming to a stop soon.. do I stop in 2nd gear? and switch into 1st when I'm almost stopped? because I switched into 1st going maybe 20 or so km and i felt the transmission and it stopped the car obviously.. but thats bad right? lol

So what exactly is the rule for stopping when using autostick? My guess is you stop in 2nd gear, and then put it in 1st when you're stopped/not moving at all. Is this correct?

Also.. is it bad to take off from 2nd gear? then goto 3rd, etc... I just tried it once, it felt solid though, as if I didnt have to press so hard to go the same speed...

then finally I tried, going from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd, one last rush before I got home, and it was pretty damn cool, you definitely feel/hear when you change gear, it's pretty cool.

And... lets say im driving.. im going 50KM.. can I put it in autostick at that point? is it wise to? and how do I do it.. I simply push the lever back, and put it in 2nd/3rd right away as quick as possible? or is it better to just start in autostick and end in autostick, THEN go for D. ?

Then the question in reverse.. if Im in autostick.. and im going 50KM, and I wanna do back to D.. is it best to stop the car first to go back in D?

Btw just as a sidenote, when accelerating from 1st gear in autostick, up to like 4,000RPM.. then coming to a stop.. what do you do? because you can feel the tranny is trying to stop the car, as well as the brakes you're pressing.. and I get the feeling this is killing the tranny.. so whats a boy to do?

I know I have a lot of questions but once I know, I'll know forever..:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
i don't even have an autostick but if you've ever driven manual tranny then i'd just do the same, shift down to slow to a stop and then your in 1st so punch it and slam it into gear at about 4500...boooo yaaaaaaa!!!

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
When slowing down I would never shift into 1st I would just let it do automaticly. Heck mine only seems smooth if I shift from 2nd to 1st going about 4MPH.

In the winter time leaving from a stop sign/light I throw it in 2nd to get goin easier.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You are totally fine switching in and out of Autostick while driving
50 KM/hr. Again, there are multiple fail-safes that prevent you from destroying anything. If you still don't believe me, check the owner's manual for their suggestions on how to use it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.