DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not too big of a deal, my friend has a 99 v6 mustang hardtop with Manuel transmission.

we were on a back road and he said lets run, so i said ok and put on a good song to race to, and put my shifter back into auto stick:biggrin:

so the signal to go came and i didnt fully floor it, but i did give it some hard gas...my friend must not of had enough traction because his wheels spun when he tried to go, so that gave me a jump start on him, even though he did hit his gas before me...but once he did start going, it was all over for him...i beat him by about a car length.

he acknowledged that i won and said that it was a fare race, but that he had driver error.

to me a race is a race, no matter if there is driver error or not, its still a race...ive seen plenty of drag races to know that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
yea the 99 v6 had a 3.8 with 200hp and no posi. I dont think he was shifting like he was supposed to.you have the 3.2 with 225hp im not sure maybe it was really close right if not then good for you on the kill. if you werent in NC I would get my 98 v6 stang with 150 hp and 5 speed and beat your friend. the lucky ass has a split port intake in that year thats why hes got those hp numbers im gonna get one soon in there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 3.8 has 150 Horse to begin with. Mustangs suck, even the GT sucks balls. There not even fast. Just like the 5.0 and the 80's stangs, everyone you see has mods done to it with either a new engine or a small block chevy or somethin, the standard engine is slow, not beating anyone.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The 3.8 has 150 Horse to begin with. Mustangs suck, even the GT sucks balls. There not even fast. Just like the 5.0 and the 80's stangs, everyone you see has mods done to it with either a new engine or a small block chevy or somethin, the standard engine is slow, not beating anyone.
The GT's are pretty fast. As Car And Driver said about the Mustang, "Just be happy that you can still get 300hp and rear wheel drive for under $30,000.

·
Registered
334 Posts
okay the 99 stang has 200hp with the split port intake the sn-95 mustang you know 94-98 v6 had 150 hp 95 was the last year of the 5.0 well 4.9 .ehh **** not gonna argue

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well none the less, i can get a ( R/T ) Charger or Challenger with over 300 Horsepower for under 30k. The GT500 Mustang is fast with over 500 im pretty sure, for 45k which really isnt a bad deal. But i just hate fords.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Well none the less, i can get a ( R/T ) Charger or Challenger with over 300 Horsepower for under 30k.
True, but the Stang actually weighs under 3500 lbs. I remember the acceleration testing and the Challenger SRT was at most .5 seconds faster than a Mustang GT. I would bet a GT would blow the doors off an R/T Challenger. (I would still buy a Challenger just because they look soo bad ass lol)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
T There not even fast. Just like the 5.0 and the 80's stangs, everyone you see has mods done to it with either a new engine or a small block chevy or somethin, the standard engine is slow, not beating anyone.
Your definition "not even fast" please.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Im just sayin the 6 cyl isnt fast and the base models arent. didnt say anything about the GT's and the other trim levels. People get all hot and bothered when they see a stang and its a V6 stang, just sayin the 6 isnt fast thats all. Its the just the body of a stang that when people dont know about cars abd engines and all, they see a stang, and there like holy **** here comes the king. A 95 3.5 trep can beat a base stang.

·
Registered
334 Posts
true I would know. it would even almost beat a 4.9 foxbody that was fun.until the stang blew something and had the black smoke of death with a touch of boom at 110mph.

·
Registered
281 Posts
true I would know. it would even almost beat a 4.9 foxbody that was fun.until the stang blew something and had the black smoke of death with a touch of boom at 110mph.

lol catastrophic failure at its best huh lol. I like the pizzaz shot of boom man ahahaha lol funny.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ouch, that had to hurt, i played with a suped up stang a while back, before my mods, and when i had 3rd gear, we were door to door on a uphill haul, until my car shifted to 3rd, then i had to play catch up, and it was fun, a bad match, you know, 3.3 stock vs. 5.0 supped, lol
i know the guy now and were gonna race again, only im gonna be in my 87 camaro iroc

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Sorry, but a mid to late 1980's Mustang GT will take an Intrepid R/T. They did a 0-60 mph in 6.7 secs with a top speed of 140 mph vs. the Intrepid R/T's 0-60 mph of 7.8 secs and top of 139 mph. Sure the 302's were rated at 225 hp or so ....less than the R/T's of 244 hp, but you can't just look at HP ratings. V8's don't have to work as hard and have more low end torque. Plus the Mustangs of the 80's were lightweight tin cans. Weighed less than the Intrepids.

Now a guy I work with, he has a new Nissan Alima with the 3.5. Took me for a ride the other day. That thing is fast. 0- 60 mph in 5.8 secs and a top speed of 146 mph. THAT'LL whip one of those old 80's Mustangs!

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
99-04 GT's have around 230 HP at the wheels measured on a dyno. They post 1/4 mile times of 13.9-14.2 with very good driving.
I must be a hell of a driver then since I made many 13.9 passes in my 2000 GT with nothing but a CAI and glasspacks in place of the mufflers and a 80K mile clutch that was getting tired

Full tank of gas, subwoofer, spare tire and my "large" weight in the car as well

1 - 20 of 26 Posts