DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 99 intrepid with 67,892 miles on it and the tranny shells out, Nor the dealership or the customer service will help out at all. 3 or 36,000 is the warrenty but 67,000 miles and it needs a new tranny, come on here. talk about junk. Is there any other options I need to look at before forking over 2 grand.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
welcome to the site, are you sure the tranny went bad, as there have been several issues with speed sensors. If it is indeed the transmision, you can swap it with any second gen (98+) transmission, as they are all interchangable. It would seem to be cheaper to buy a junkyard transmission then to have that one replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going thru some options right now. Junk yard trannies are much less 750 for one with 32,000 miles. But how trusting are these auto recyclers. My brother bought a tranny from one and 6 monthes later it shells out.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/search.php?searchid=670688

does your transmission do any of these things, that maybe the issue, and it can MOST likely be resolved with transmission sensors. Another issue that could have caused the problem is running transmission fluid that was NOT ATF+4, as anything else can cause terminal damage. I havent heard of too many trans. going south with that few miles on it unless it was abused, or not properly maintained.

HTH
Bruce

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,688 Posts
I wouldnt abandon chrysler just because of trans problems. Youll find that every make has just as many issues as chrysler if not more.. the GM intake gaskets for example, that affected most everything GM with a V6... causing serious engine problems at 30-40K miles when not caught in time. I would put a used trans in it, I can get them with less than 20k miles for $350. I would keep calling around for different prices. $750 is high. Check ebay too, they are on there too. I would find out the exact cause of your transmissions failure before disowning chryslers. If you must disown chrysler, sorry to lose you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tech said there is air in the system a code he named off. The tranny stays in 2nd gear with the service light. and it wasn't abused at all. They said the code was internal problems. Also said the fluid is burnt. It wasn't 800 miles ago when I dropped the oil,

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
dodgeit said:
The tech said there is air in the system a code he named off. The tranny stays in 2nd gear with the service light. and it wasn't abused at all. They said the code was internal problems. Also said the fluid is burnt. It wasn't 800 miles ago when I dropped the oil,
ok the guy is going to milk you out of a lot of money. go somewhere else and buy the 2 trans sensors. inout and output out. replace them on your trans.

if your car will only go into second gear and reverse and the obd II is having the check engine light on its the trans sensors.its like 30 bucks inn parts and a do it your self job..... need a how to on replacement let me know ill get the link fo ryou

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
with the MIL, it's mroe than likely one of the speed sensors, abou $40, don't be an idiot like my step-dad was with his 2000 when it went limp, guy at shop put a "new" tranny in for $2200, I told him it was probably one of the speed sensors

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Definetly sounds like transmission sensors to me too. Mine died at 13,000 miles :p

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
This seems familiar...

Get the EXACT code from the trans shop and we'll look it up.... air in the system sounds a bit suspicious! Check your fluid level, you may have sprung a leak.... check the cooler lines, these are common culprits. Did you put ATF+4 fluid in the last time you changed it? If not get it flushed.

But, if it comes back showing slippage or worse, incorrect gear ratio, then time to visit the yard and get a tranny!

Sensors are common as are solenoid packs. I had to do both.

Just wondering: does the tranny act OK for a little while if you disconnect the battery? If the tranny works ok for a while the limps, the problem is likely sensors or a solenoid, less than $500 to fix the solenoid and the sensors are a good old do it yourself job. If your tranny acts OK then fails after a short drive, tell this to the tech.

Keep your car. You'll have a hell of a time finding another full size sedan that hugs the road like these!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
hardwareguy said:
Keep your car. You'll have a hell of a time finding another full size sedan that hugs the road like these!
Mid size ;) My sister's Grand Marquis is full size :p

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Avenger said:
Mid size ;) My sister's Grand Marquis is full size :p
hahaha, yeah I'd say treps are pushing the limits of "midsize" - park one next to a cutlass cierra, pontiac 6000, accord, etc. :)

A couple guys are saying ONLY ATF+4 for the trannies but there is nothing wrong with +3 is there? Its not as GOOD for a couple reasons but its in no way BAD at all.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Dan said:
hahaha, yeah I'd say treps are pushing the limits of "midsize" - park one next to a cutlass cierra, pontiac 6000, accord, etc. :)

A couple guys are saying ONLY ATF+4 for the trannies but there is nothing wrong with +3 is there? Its not as GOOD for a couple reasons but its in no way BAD at all.
2nd Gens only take ATF+4. The 1st Gens like yours and mine can take +3 because thats what came from the factory. But I switched over to +4 for sometime now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had similar problem with my 2000 300M. Wouldn't go out of 2nd gear. It's called the limp mode--a feature that allows you to drive for a short distance till you get it repaired.

Is your speedometer working? If not, then it's your output speed sensor. If the speedo works,chances are the input speed sensor went bad. To be safe, replace both. It will cost about $40 for the two sensors.

To change it you need a 1" wrench or a deep socket. Disconnect the wires going to the sensors first. The sensors are on the driver's side of the tranny case. A bit awkward to get too, but doable. Just put your car up on ramps to make it easier to work.

Then after you fix it, go back to that mechanic and give him an earful. There otta be a law against outright thievery by unscrupulous mechanics.

Here's a pic:
http://theswampbbs.com/300m/Servicestuff/speedsensor_files/image001.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dabirdzR/T said:
welcome to the site, are you sure the tranny went bad, as there have been several issues with speed sensors. If it is indeed the transmision, you can swap it with any second gen (98+) transmission, as they are all interchangable. It would seem to be cheaper to buy a junkyard transmission then to have that one replaced.

What is the tranny in the 1999 intrepid a A604 . Whats the difference in a 1st. gen. and 2nd. Thanks. I'm still mad as hell over this tranny deal. Dean

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
first gens have a different harness on them, you can get any transmission from 98+ from any size motor in the LH body series.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
If you have an SE, and DO need a new tranny, I'd suggest getting one out of an SE as the gears are more aggressive in the base model to make up for lack of engine power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts